Nvidia Shield fire hazard - Nvidia recalls Shields!

Reaction score
For those that use the Nvidia Shield tablet for the DJI pilot app, beware:

"Nvidia is recalling Shield tablets over a potential fire hazard caused by overheating batteries, the graphics company announced Friday.

Nvidia has asked that customers stop using affected Shield tablets immediately, “except as needed to participate in the recall and back up data.”

The recall affects 8-inch Shield tablets sold between July 2014 and July 2015. To see if the recall affects your Shield tablet, visit Nvidia’s website. There, you’ll find instructions to tell which type of battery your device has. You can also submit a claim through that website; Nvidia is replacing affected devices free of charge."

http://fortune.com/2015/07/31/nvidia-shield-tablets-recall/

Model numbers P1761, P1761W and P1761WX and serial numbers 0410215901781 through 0425214604018 are included in this recall. The model and serial numbers are etched on the left side edge of the tablets and printed on the packaging.

Nvidia recall website:

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/notice-for-nvidia-tablet-customers

Last edited:
So this basically will put their tablet division in jeopardy right? I mean every single tablet recalled and disassembled, new battery, parts, labor, testing, lawyers... That sounds like a nightmare.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So this basically will put their tablet division in jeopardy right? I mean every single tablet recalled and disassembled, new battery, parts, labor, testing, lawyers... That sounds like a nightmare.

As I understand it, you need to fill in an online form, supply them with your address, then they will send you a new identical Shield (that has a different kind of battery). The faulty tablet will be remotely disabled once you fire up (excuse the pun) the new Shield.

This is stated at the end of that form: "I understand when I turn on my replacement tablet, my original tablet will be deactivated remotely and rendered unusable"

I think you are right saying this will put their tablet division in jeopardy, especially since they are relatively new in this market. I think the Shield is their first tablet model?

If they don't require the old unit to be sent back I'm thinking about just turning off wifi and taking my chances. Perhaps looking for a way to root the old device.

If they don't require the old unit to be sent back I'm thinking about just turning off wifi and taking my chances. Perhaps looking for a way to root the old device.

My hunch is that they can disable it anyway, using the GSM networks, even when your tablet doesn't support cellular / LTE

WOW they are not even taking them back for parts/repair and resale elsewhere? That's absurd. This battery must be a mess of an issue. I predict these new replacements will be the last Nvdia tablets produced because this loss must be massive

Reactions: flax
I submitted mine, according to the email I got it will be 2 - 4 weeks before the new one will arrive.
I am very curious about how exactly Nvidia is planning to remotely disable (destroy) the old one.
The moment you turn on the new one they say that will happen.

I am very curious about how exactly Nvidia is planning to remotely disable (destroy) the old one.
Easy. It just phones home through the same channel Nvidia pushes out updates. Microsoft has been doing it since the dawn of high speed internet...

Easy. It just phones home through the same channel Nvidia pushes out updates. Microsoft has been doing it since the dawn of high speed internet...

I mean, since when can tablets be remotely disabled and rendered unusable? Maybe the Phantom has this 'feature' too? Or how about those modern cars. Scary.

Also am I wondering about how they will render it unusable. Will they command it to overload (an) internal component(s)? Breaking it that way?

I mean, since when can tablets be remotely disabled and rendered unusable? Maybe the Phantom has this 'feature' too? Or how about those modern cars. Scary.

Also am I wondering about how they will render it unusable. Will they command it to overload (an) internal component(s)? Breaking it that way?
Nvidia owns the hardware. Perhaps they built a kill switch into the GPU that simply disables it. Purely speculating, but it definitely would have to be at the hardware level otherwise you could just root it and install another flavor of android. Guess we'll find out in 2-4 weeks :)

Reactions: flax

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20