Now THIS is follow-me

Looks a bit like the way The Machine watches people in "Person of Interest". Creepy. But a bit cool...

$599 Now....$799 Later. (Shipping Fall 2015)

For that price it needs the ability to keep itself clear of all obstacles. This feature is almost ready for testing in the Ulimate Flight app.

36471.png

There is another one coming called percepto. Check that one out

I'm not entirely convinced this is worth the money. I've flown numerous follow me missions already. Following skiers, bikers and following cars. I already can orbit while following, follow from above, follow from behind, follow from the right or left, and even follow from in front. The only thing I see that this does that I can't already do is track two subjects. Even so, I'm not sure how useful that really is, especially if the subjects move very far apart (if they don't move far apart, I only need to follow one subject).

The biggest single feature that I think follow me needs is the ability follow terrain contours. For skiers in particular... they descend so fast that they become tiny dots before you know it. Basically you have to fly manually to control decent and just set the drone to keep the camera following the skier. I'd like that to be automated.

Not taking anything away from kenargo, following an object using computer vision/object recognition vs following something wearing a tracking device are completely different animals. I'm interested in seeing what kenargo comes up with, but comparing the two isn't a true comparison. I'm just pumped to see all the new innovations coming out already, from both fronts.

bbfpv said:
Not taking anything away from kenargo, following an object using computer vision/object recognition vs following something wearing a tracking device are completely different animals. I'm interested in seeing what kenargo comes up with, but comparing the two isn't a true comparison. I'm just pumped to see all the new innovations coming out already, from both fronts.

I'm not sure who kenargo is but, good point!

The other thing this seems to do is allow you to fly while it does the work of keeping the camera/drone pointed at a moving target. I can do that as well, but it takes some tweaking of the params and software. Not too difficult, but not out of the box functionality.

erikgraham said:
bbfpv said:

I'm not sure who kenargo is but, good point!

The other thing this seems to do is allow you to fly while it does the work of keeping the camera/drone pointed at a moving target. I can do that as well, but it takes some tweaking of the params and software. Not too difficult, but not out of the box functionality.

Kenargo is the dude developing one of the new flight apps using the DJI SDK.

Ah. I see.

I guess I should clarify that I'm using the Iris+ for the follow-me missions. So when I say "it takes some tweaking of the params and software" I didn't mean on a Phantom. I figured its just a matter of time before DJI adds some kind of GPS tracker follow-me mode to the Phantom line. It works pretty well on the Iris+ and always keeps the target in frame (barring massive wind gusts or sudden, very fast directional changes by the target).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20