Novice new owner

Reaction score
After 68+years of waiting got myself a p2+ v3 last week. Did a lot of reading, watching a ton of videos, and had my first flight session on Sat.

After doing the preflight checks multiple times got it up to about 10 ft and practiced as instructed, I was hooked.

Did some flying around the neighborhood at 100 or so feet. Fun, fun, fun! No crashes and smooth landings. Now to get some footage without all my practice herky/jerky maneuvers.

Thanks for all the help on these forums.

Reactions: mad in nc and Mooky
Enjoy! It is addicting.... and you are in great part of the country to really get some air time

I fell into this "hobby" ~ 6 months ago and am having a great time. You are also at a great place to garnish info, learn and ask questions.. Soon I bet you will be contributing to others posts as the community grows.

Just wait - it will get worse!

Congrats!

Congrats, love the area you are in. You'll have to fly around the lake across from the power plant and give us a couple of nice videos of that area. Cool area there in SC. Pass through there all the time going to Myrtle Beach. Nice place for flying. Enjoy!

Congrats, love the area you are in. You'll have to fly around the lake across from the power plant and give us a couple of nice videos of that area. Cool area there in SC. Pass through there all the time going to Myrtle Beach. Nice place for flying. Enjoy!

Hadn't thought of that.....but I'll have to practice for awhile!! I've got a 4 ac lake behind my house that I'm even scared to fly over right now. I'm also gonna try to take videos of homes and property for my Realtor business. ***business deduction***

In order to get the max benefit, I've got to get enough practice and courage to start using waypoint mode, especially for property. But, on my trial run Sat, I couldn't even see my smartphone screen.....too much sun????

Be sure you do the calibrations before flying, especially the IMU, Remote sticks cal and compass cal. If not sure how to do these read the manual or ask on here. It's a must for flying and to get here to come back to you.

Be sure you do the calibrations before flying, especially the IMU, Remote sticks cal and compass cal. If not sure how to do these read the manual or ask on here. It's a must for flying and to get here to come back to you.
Thanks! Been reading about that. Got P set to naza, plan on changing some settings and calibrate this afternoon.

I waited 57 years. Welcome, this is a great board. A lot of helpful folks here. Some not so much. you'll figure it out.
I've had my P2V+ about 3 months now.
One thing though in case you don't realize this yet, there are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of these out there flying around. The majority of them do not have any problems. When you do get a problem you come to a board on the internet. These boards are lopsided with negativity. don't get discouraged. When you see all the fly away posts, remember, this is probably about 1/10th of 1 percent of these birds. Probably less than that. I know even one is to many, but don't let them get you down. Do all your pre flight checks religiously and don't lose los.
I inched my way up. First a hundred feet. Then 200. Then 300. I was so proud I put it on youtube. haha now I go to 250-300 all the time.
It took me about 6 weeks of flying at the same places to get bored. I did not want to cross property lines or fly over traffic or people. I still don't fly over traffic or people, but now I cross property lines. I just make sure I am at least 200 feet up and unless they are looking for it, they will never know it's there. I live in Southern California and it's pretty crowded here.
When I first got it my neighbors all came out and started cracking jokes about spying on their wives through the windows. I demonstrated how noisy it is. I'm not sneaking up on anybody!
Be safe, have fun, don't get discouraged.

It's a fun addicting hobby.
I agree with previous posts that recommend incremental increasing in flying adventures as experience and skills increase. I've spent sessions trying to take smoother videos, just trying to figure out the apps, getting used to be drone's orientation in relationship to where I am.... Just trying to get better.
My biggest piece of advice is not to be in a hurry. Do your checks and prepare mentally for each flight. I had a bad crash when I got too overconfident in my skills.
Soon you'll be flying like it is second nature.
Oh, I might look into a larger screen for FPV. It will make it easier!
Have fun.

I waited 57 years. Welcome, this is a great board. A lot of helpful folks here. Some not so much. you'll figure it out.
I've had my P2V+ about 3 months now.
One thing though in case you don't realize this yet, there are thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of these out there flying around. The majority of them do not have any problems. When you do get a problem you come to a board on the internet. These boards are lopsided with negativity. don't get discouraged. When you see all the fly away posts, remember, this is probably about 1/10th of 1 percent of these birds. Probably less than that. I know even one is to many, but don't let them get you down. Do all your pre flight checks religiously and don't lose los.
I inched my way up. First a hundred feet. Then 200. Then 300. I was so proud I put it on youtube. haha now I go to 250-300 all the time.
It took me about 6 weeks of flying at the same places to get bored. I did not want to cross property lines or fly over traffic or people. I still don't fly over traffic or people, but now I cross property lines. I just make sure I am at least 200 feet up and unless they are looking for it, they will never know it's there. I live in Southern California and it's pretty crowded here.
When I first got it my neighbors all came out and started cracking jokes about spying on their wives through the windows. I demonstrated how noisy it is. I'm not sneaking up on anybody!
Be safe, have fun, don't get discouraged.
Thanks....I'm enjoying it so far!

It's a fun addicting hobby.
I agree with previous posts that recommend incremental increasing in flying adventures as experience and skills increase. I've spent sessions trying to take smoother videos, just trying to figure out the apps, getting used to be drone's orientation in relationship to where I am.... Just trying to get better.
My biggest piece of advice is not to be in a hurry. Do your checks and prepare mentally for each flight. I had a bad crash when I got too overconfident in my skills.
Soon you'll be flying like it is second nature.
Oh, I might look into a larger screen for FPV. It will make it easier!
Have fun.
Thanks..... One step at a time! Made first big mistake yesterday but didn't cost me this time. I forgot to let the p hover and set home! Glad I was trying to test rth at a short distance.... Took a minute to figure why it was just drifting instead of coming home.....lesson learned.

Please please please... Always make sure that Home Point is set before you take off. If you miss the green flashes (2 sets of 10 -I think) quick flashes, the distance indicator will show "0 Feet" (not N/A, which means no home point has been set). No matter which app you use, there will be that plus an on-screen "H" location indication (ground station). "Never leave home without it."

It is my feeling that the root cause of many fly-aways are caused by the negligence of the operator/pilot to confirm the Home Point. What if you were hovering and lost communications for any reason, or like you say, "trying to test rth at a short distance", and the last Home Point set was across town (or on another continent)? bye-bye... unless your experience kicks in to make a fast recovery.

Best of luck flying. And returning.

Last edited:
Please please please... Always make sure that Home Point is set before you take off. If you miss the green flashes (2 sets of 10 -I think) quick flashes, the distance indicator will show "0 Feet" (not N/A, which means no home point has been set). No matter which app you use, there will also be that plus an on-screen "H" location indication (ground station). "Never leave home without it."

It is my feeling that the root cause of many fly-aways are caused by the negligence of the operator/pilot to confirm the Home Point. What if you were hovering and lost communications for any reason, or like you say, "trying to test rth at a short distance", and the last Home Point set was across town (or on another continent)? bye-bye... unless your experience kicks in to make a fast recovery.

Best of luck flying. And returning.
Thanks, that's why I'm just doing short practices over my homesite!!

I did change my bird to naza, and now have to calibrate my controller and bird! Gonna do that tonight and do some flying tomorrow......ALWAYS make sure both s1 & s2 is up, especially now!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31