Notify Airport / Tower with a radio.

Does anyone use a handheld radio to notify the airport and monitor traffic when flying?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I will shorty as I recently received approval to fly in Class D airspace right next to the airport and they are requiring this. I recently asked for recommendations and a few mentioned the Yaesu FTA550 as a good inexpensive one (if you are looking for recommendations).

You can monitor all you like but you are not a licensed Station so Tx is a No-No.

There are specific communication terms and protocol used by controlling entities and if this was required for drone operators it would have been part of the 107 test & certification program.

IIRC, the current protocol for airport operator/tower notification is via phone for the Part-101 hobbyist and via an FAA website for Part 107 commercial ops.

I will shorty as I recently received approval to fly in Class D airspace right next to the airport and they are requiring this. I recently asked for recommendations and a few mentioned the Yaesu FTA550 as a good inexpensive one (if you are looking for recommendations).
Did your FAA approval specifically say that you were to notify the tower via radio and give you specific frequencies to use? Do you have to contact approach control and/or ground control? What information before, during and after do you have to give the tower? Hand held fm transmitters have a limited range (line of sight), but if you are that close, it may not matter. And as mentioned above, have you checked out the FCC license requirements? Believe that you will, as a minimum, have to have a ground station license.

I would imagine you could use unicom for uncontrolled airports, and the tower frequency for controlled. Unicom radios are not always monitored at the airport though. 122.8 and 122.9 are the usual frequencies. You do however need a license to transmit.

Class D means the tower is operating so always the tower frequency.

Aren't UASs issued a callsign when they're registered? Why can't you just use that to call up the tower with your request?

Q1- No
Q2- No

I'm pretty sure I've read that drones are issued a registration. I seem to remember reading that if you want the traditional N-number then you have to register via the paper method.

Are pilots required to have a certification of some sort (FCC?) to operate the radio in their aircraft? I'm thinking not...

Your conflating things and need to some research.

I don't get it. Drones have registration numbers. Drones have pilots. I'm just trying to understand your answers. How is asking the question "conflating things?" I obviously don't know enough to know where to begin researching. If you have answers (with some references to get started) I'm all ears...

Search the site.

One of these day’s I hope we have it all this worked out. A hand held radio seems like a good next step. My line of thinking if the FAA thinks our Phantoms is a a/c then we should be able get a radio licence for our a/c just like any other a/c. After all if memory serves me right on my Remote Pilot Test there was some questions about radio protocol. If things are going to advance we need to have some of the privileges other aircraft have. Especially when it come to communication. So we all can operate in a safe and sane manner.

Reactions: VVATC
After all if memory serves me right on my Remote Pilot Test there was some questions about radio protocol.

Yes, In the Sectional Chart interpretation section you may have been asked something like this:
"At XYZ (airport) which frequency should be used as a Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) to monitor airport traffic?"

My line of thinking if the FAA thinks our Phantoms is a a/c then we should be able get a radio licence for our a/c just like any other a/c. If things are going to advance we need to have some of the privileges other aircraft have. Especially when it come to communication. So we all can operate in a safe and sane manner.

I agree. I took N017RW's kind advice and did some research. A quick search of the google and I found this:

FCC Licensing

Emphasis added...

On October 25, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket No. 96-82 (text) eliminating the individual licensing requirement for all aircraft, including scheduled air carriers, air taxis and general aviation aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not need a license to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or emergency locator transmitter (ELT) aboard aircraft operating domestically. All other aircraft radio stations must be licensed by the FCC either individually or by fleet.

That's correct.
I was flying during that transition and still have my pre-'96 FCC license.

I addressed the last sentence of the FCC quote above with the first sentence of my first post:
"You can monitor all you like but you are not a licensed Station so Tx is a No-No."

Reactions: VVATC
I would you more but my typing is not so good.

When flying HAWK N66CB the proper phraseology for initial contact with Whitted ATC tower is

A-“Whitted Tower, HAWK SIX SIX SIX CHARLIE BROVO, five NM west of the airport, request permission to enter Class D airspace for unmanned aircraft for unmanned aircraft operations below four hundred AGL. Three NM west of the airport”

B- “Whitted, HAWK SIX SIX SIX CEE BEE, requesting to operate within Class D, west of the field”

C- “Witted tower, Triple Six Charlie Bravo, five NM west, operating in Class D below four hundred AGL west of the airport”

(A is correct)

That's correct.
I addressed the last sentence of the FCC quote above with the first sentence of my first post:
"You can monitor all you like but you are not a licensed Station so Tx is a No-No."

My point is, since a license is not longer required, and since the UAS has a registration (which is what pilots use as their callsign) why can a UAS pilot not use the UAS registration as his callsign and operate a VHF aviation radio.

The FCC doesn't have an answer, btw. I just got off the phone with them and was given a case number. I have a feeling we're inventing the wheel with this...

Reactions: dcoski
What is the point of this?

An sUAS (drone) operator is not, by virtue of his/her FAA registration, authorized to operate radio equipment or stations on the Aviation bands.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense to you presently but that's the way it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik