Notification of battery drain

Reaction score
I am new to this and I have a FC40. Is there anything that tells you when the battery is getting low in the FC40 other than the lights? When I fly further out I can't see the lights to tell if I need to land due to low battery.

Hi there n4lb welcome to the hobby! If you're anything like me your bank ballance will hate you ;) as with the batterys for the fc40 of you are not weighing your phantom down with anything extra such s an extra battery/ go pro you should be able to get 12 mins out of the battery. Although if you're unsure 10 mins is a good time to bring it home. To time this you can always set a timer on your phone or invest in a timer for the transmitter. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28124725 ... 0&ff14=108 the other option if you don't plan on going long range is put a lipo allarm on the battery which will make a loud been when the battery falls below a set level. You should be able to hear this over the sound of the motors provided it is not too far away. You can get smart allarms and battery checkers built into each other llike this one which I use. https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... CFMQpiswAA these are particually useful when you have more than one battery where it can be hard to keep track on which is the charged battery. This particular checker also acts as a programmeable alarm with a very loud buzzer which you can see in the bottom half of the pack. Hope this clears things up a bit. If you have anymore questions feel free to inbox me!

How does that smart alarm work? Like how does it connect to the battery?

It plugs into the balance lead on the battery, It works with up to 8-cells of most battery types too. The smart bit means that it knows what battery you have plugged in too so there's no calibration necessary. The only thing you need to set is the low voltage setting that you want to go for. See the pic below for both of these points :)

Attachments

• P-FS-BC06_D.jpg
    P-FS-BC06_D.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 589
That's a nice looking device! I use the very cheapo Lipo checker with 3 red digits. Easy to program and use but not as nice as this one :)
Took me 2 Euro including shipping from HongKong.

Joesrevolution said:
Hi there n4lb welcome to the hobby! If you're anything like me your bank ballance will hate you ;) as with the batterys for the fc40 of you are not weighing your phantom down with anything extra such s an extra battery/ go pro you should be able to get 12 mins out of the battery. Although if you're unsure 10 mins is a good time to bring it home. To time this you can always set a timer on your phone or invest in a timer for the transmitter. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/28124725 ... 0&ff14=108 the other option if you don't plan on going long range is put a lipo allarm on the battery which will make a loud been when the battery falls below a set level. You should be able to hear this over the sound of the motors provided it is not too far away. You can get smart allarms and battery checkers built into each other llike this one which I use. https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... CFMQpiswAA these are particually useful when you have more than one battery where it can be hard to keep track on which is the charged battery. This particular checker also acts as a programmeable alarm with a very loud buzzer which you can see in the bottom half of the pack. Hope this clears things up a bit. If you have anymore questions feel free to inbox me!
I ordered the timer with the alarm this morning. Thanks for your suggestion. I thought maybe that that feature might be on some kind of software that came with the cell phone app that one uses to watch from the camera on the plane. If there is not such a thing, someone ought to write an app for it.

Unfortunately not for the FC40. That sort of thing is reserved for the vision boys. Us lowley FC40 users still have to use our inginuity and a timer ;) the best bet if you're ever unsure though is to air on the side of caution and bring it in early and not push the battery hard. Even though it may rth on low battery you should never rely on it.

If you are using the stock camera and app you can start recording just before take off - there is a running timer at the top of the FPV screen showing how long the recording is and you can use that to keep an eye on the time. Of course it won't warn you, and a battery monitor would be best, but I have found it a good way to keep track of things.

Joesrevolution said:
It plugs into the balance lead on the battery, It works with up to 8-cells of most battery types too. The smart bit means that it knows what battery you have plugged in too so there's no calibration necessary. The only thing you need to set is the low voltage setting that you want to go for. See the pic below for both of these points :)

Awesome! Cheers for the info!

Hobby king has a quantum battery monitor that transmits live voltage to a lcd you can mount on ur transmitter antenna. It's around $49

houldsworth1 said:
If you are using the stock camera and app you can start recording just before take off - there is a running timer at the top of the FPV screen showing how long the recording is and you can use that to keep an eye on the time. Of course it won't warn you, and a battery monitor would be best, but I have found it a good way to keep track of things.

That's one way to do it.
But when you loose wifi connection (happens every flight, I take it out much further than 300 feet which is the max wifi range), the app crashes or freezes and you are left in the blind. Sometimes you can just reconnect but the app starts at 0:000 again. Even with a wifi extender or parabola antenna you just happen to loose connection every now and then.

A Lipo checker gives a loud sound that you can hear from 1000 feet distance. Saved my FC40 several times. I have set it to a voltage that allows me to come home from a good distance and height after the alarm goes off (2 minutes before the Naza warning).

houldsworth1 said:

Thanks for this info.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj