Not Upgrading to DJI 3 Firmware due to No Fly Zones

Reaction score
I was looking at the update with the inclusion of no fly zones, and I have to say I really unimpressed. The no fly zone for my city covers almost the entire city, including the RC park where we are able to fly legally.

I think until DJI comes out with a way to opt out of the no fly zones I will be staying with 2.0 firmware. I am thankful I bought the Phantom before all phantoms ship with 3.0 installed.

This is getting funnier than South Park ..... sat here listening to so many people for months now about how holier than thou art we should be ..... shouldnt do this, shouldn't do that, shouldn't fly there, shouldn't fly that high .....as will be bad for the ENTIRE flying fraternity, we must fly safer to be accepted !!! yadda yadda yadda yadda ......... the company DJI actually does something in name of restricting morons and flight areas NOONE should even be in for safetys sake (and their arse at same time) .... and now everyone is whining, moaning and carrying on as if mum took away your favorite lollypops ... there are so many threads now on this upgrade that makes me think was all just hot air to begin with ranting about safety.... I think 98% of people feel safety rules are for "everyone" else but them .... or you would take these as a good thing overall ??

My cities airport has normal 4km "model flight" restrictions (basically the whole city area) , ... this update restriction is 1 KM for WGTN NZ ... so regardless I still cant fly close to the main airport ???

Since the original announcement that was made last week on DJI's YouTube channel they have changed there interpretation of "No-Fly Zones". Leeds and Bradford Airport is now a Cat B zone and the restriction of not being able to arm your Quad is now 0.6mile radius. Unfortunately the restriction of using the Ground Station still remains at a 5mile radius from the Airport which encompasses my flying field, and a few other established model flying clubs in the area.

I bought the Datalink Groundstation at the beginning go the year, if I had known that these restrictions were going to be made I would have used the money on an alternative flight controller to the Naza-M V2 I currently have installed in my F550 for one that supports Waypoint and telemetry without limitations.

We have become the victims of the popularity of RTF multirotors and the inevitable morons who will purchase these devices.
Many of us saw the mouth breather who thought it was a good idea to attempt his first flight from the balcony of his Manhattan apartment and proceed to bounce it off buildings until it plummeted onto the busy street below. And more recently the chap who thought it was a good idea to fly inside a nightclub just a few feet from a few hundred drunken revellers. I applaud DJI on wanting to take the initiative in promoting safer flying but their promo videos in some way go against this ethos when the Phantom, and the variants there of, are depicted flying in and above crowds and touted as social media fashion accessories. To make a token gesture by placing these no-fly restrictions, which bare no resemblance to official legislation, on to their customers is not going to benefit anyone. However to "EDUCATE" the stupid would be time better spent.

Apologies for a ranty post

Nidge

People need to look at the updated manual. THe area where the motors will not start are 2.4 km (1.5 mi) around busy Class B airports (in the US) like LAX and 1.0 km (0.62mi) around Class C airspace airports like John Wayne/Orange County. I use these because they are near me.

Outside that most restrictive ring the motors will start, but will not allow flight into the highest restriction area, a place where only a complete moron would be flying in the first place. So at least in the US it is not ALL airports, only the two busiest classes of airports (Class B and CLass C).

One irony is that at least one authorized DJI dealer is located only 2,000 feet from the center of John Wayne in Orange County, CA. No more parking lot testing!! (not sure if they do that, but with this software they would not even be able to fire up a motor in the shop to test it!!).

Check out page 37 of the manual v1.16 for the details

SilentAV8R said:
People need to look at the updated manual. THe area where the motors will not start are 2.4 km (1.5 mi) around busy Class B airports (in the US) like LAX and 1.0 km (0.62mi) around Class C airspace airports like John Wayne/Orange County.

+1

I think a large percentage of the anger over the restrictions comes from a misunderstanding over exactly what's now restricted (in GS vs P2) and to what degree.

OI Photography said:
SilentAV8R said:
People need to look at the updated manual. THe area where the motors will not start are 2.4 km (1.5 mi) around busy Class B airports (in the US) like LAX and 1.0 km (0.62mi) around Class C airspace airports like John Wayne/Orange County.

+1

I think a large percentage of the anger over the restrictions comes from a misunderstanding over exactly what's now restricted (in GS vs P2) and to what degree.

True, but my gripe is with the restrictions embedded into the latest version of the Datalink software which remains at a radius of five miles from the central point. I am, and so is my flying site, about four miles from the central point and due to disability I'm unable to travel any further thus making, if I update the software as recommended by DJI, useless :(

Regards

Nidge

I remember when I ordered my v1.1.1 I was a little miffed when they immediately released the P2... now, not so much.

I am figuring on pulling the stinking Naza, and maybe putting a Naze 32 in it just for spite. I went ahead an ordered one, and am in the process of pouring over documentation... not too bad actually and I will wait and see... but AbuseMark would be pissed (DJI products not supported with Naze, lol!)

...I am a gonna do it! Shytes and grins all around!

Nidge said:
OI Photography said:
SilentAV8R said:

+1

True, but my gripe is with the restrictions embedded into the latest version of the Datalink software which remains at a radius of five miles from the central point. I am, and so is my flying site, about four miles from the central point and due to disability I'm unable to travel any further thus making, if I update the software as recommended by DJI, useless :(

Regards

Nidge

What airport near Yorkshire is classed as a CAT A with a 5 mile restriction?
Unless I am mistaken the only airports in England with a CAT A restriction in version 3 are:
Heathrow
Gatwick
London City
Birmingham
Manchester

xgeek said:
What airport near Yorkshire is classed as a CAT A with a 5 mile restriction?
Unless I am mistaken the only airports in England with a CAT A restriction in version 3 are:
Heathrow
Gatwick
London City
Birmingham
Manchester

The difference between the A And B categories pertains to the flight controllers fitted to the Phantom 2 and the soon to be released Vision plus, but irrespective of the airport classification there is a 5mile restriction when trying to set waypoints and home points using the Datalink Groundstation.

Regards

Nidge

just a heads up. the no fly zones are only for ground station flights. If you fly by hand (using the TX like normal) you can fly in those areas. The phantom doesn't know where you are in relationship to the airports, its the Ground Station app that controls the no fly zone areas.

Ksc said:
just a heads up. the no fly zones are only for ground station flights. If you fly by hand (using the TX like normal) you can fly in those areas. The phantom doesn't know where you are in relationship to the airports, its the Ground Station app that controls the no fly zone areas.

That was the behavior with v2, no longer true in v3.
Restriction in place in both gps or atti mode if 6 or more sats are locked

Hey guys,

just looking for a quad and actually Phantom seems to be interesting, except from this feature...
Does anybody know, where it is implemented? I assume it is part of the NAZA-M V2 firmware, isn't it?
If so, there must be a table stored somewhere in flash of the module. This can be updated.
I downloaded the files "Phantom_2_Installer_v3.0.exe" and "NAZAM_2.20_Installer.exe"...
Does anybody have the installer for Version 2.0 or even 1.08? For 1.08 I only found the dmg-file
for MAC.

What happens if you install this executable and connect your phantom 2? Will it download and pass through the firmware
from the internet or is the firmware already part of the executable?

If the "problem" is in NAZA-M, I guess I will simply put a different flight-control-system. e.g. Wookong or A2.
I did not find anything similar in these two controllers. Off course they cost more, but I assume it will be worth the extra money...

joe535 said:
Hey guys,

just looking for a quad and actually Phantom seems to be interesting, except from this feature...
Does anybody know, where it is implemented? I assume it is part of the NAZA-M V2 firmware, isn't it?
If so, there must be a table stored somewhere in flash of the module. This can be updated.
I downloaded the files "Phantom_2_Installer_v3.0.exe" and "NAZAM_2.20_Installer.exe"...
Does anybody have the installer for Version 2.0 or even 1.08? For 1.08 I only found the dmg-file
for MAC.

What happens if you install this executable and connect your phantom 2? Will it download and pass through the firmware
from the internet or is the firmware already part of the executable?

If the "problem" is in NAZA-M, I guess I will simply put a different flight-control-system. e.g. Wookong or A2.
I did not find anything similar in these two controllers. Off course they cost more, but I assume it will be worth the extra money...

I've shared a range of previous versions http://sharewith.excipere.com/. Others have done the same. There's lots of threads about it.

have fun hope you can find what you're looking for ;)

Bmews

I live 1.2 miles from San Diego airport...so I won't be able to start it up to test in my own yard? Will I be able to downgrade the firm ware?

drakeskakes said:
I live 1.2 miles from San Diego airport...so I won't be able to start it up to test in my own yard? Will I be able to downgrade the firm ware?

Here's the DJI page that explains this feature in v.3.0 software:

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

The radius is measured from the center point of the airport. For Lindberg the no fly radius is 1.5 miles, but again, that is from dead center of the airport.

So you are right on the edge.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20