Not sure what I'm doing wrong but my videos look digitized

Reaction score
My P3 Adv is set to record videos at 1080 and 60 fps. I then use Microsoft Movie Maker to edit them. They play very well in Movie Maker but I then save them as a MPEG-4/H.264 Video File for uploading to YouTube.

Once the video is saved as a MPEG-4/H.264 video file, I play it on my Surface 3 and certain parts of the video look digitized. They don't look like that when playing in Movie Maker.

What am I doing wrong that causes those videos to look severely digitized in some parts?

Thanks for the help!

Are you taking the original video from your phone/tablet or are you taking the video off of the sd card in your Phantom?

I know this is an obvious question but you got the files off the micro SD card not your tablet or phone, correct?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies!

I'm using the video off my SD card that I removed from my P3. I transfer those files to my Surface 3 then edit those files on my Surface 3 in Movie Maker. The edited video looks great while in Movie Maker but once it's saved as a MPEG-4/H.264 video file it then looks digitized in some parts of the video.

yep its the way its compressed when you finish making the movie and export it.
make sure you set it for a high bitrate. or like Adobe has built in, youtube 1080/4k options

It may also be your shutter speed. Without a ND filter, you will often have shutter speeds so high that each frame is like a still photo, with no motion blur. This can make the video look unnatural and kind of choppy. Try some ND filters to try to get your shutter speed down to around 1/120 of a second for 60 fps. For smooth, fluid video shoot for the denominator to be roughly 2x the fps. So if shooting 30 fps, you want around 1/60 second shutter speed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It may also be your shutter speed. Without a ND filter, you will often have shutter speeds so high that each frame is like a still photo, with no motion blur. This can make the video look unnatural and kind of choppy. Try some ND filters to try to get your shutter speed down to around 1/120 of a second for 60 fps. For smooth, fluid video shoot for the denominator to be roughly 2x the fps. So if shooting 30 fps, you want around 1/60 second shutter speed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was using a filter and manually set the shutter speed to 120.

I saved the video again but this time used the WAV file format. Saving it as a WAV file it didn't digitize. Uploaded to Youtube and it looks great.

I use movie maker as well and make a lot of videos. The video in movie maker is usually pretty low quality but when i save the file for "high definition display" it looks great. I cannot do 4k in movie maker but I can do the 2.7k just fine. Sometimes my low-light or night time video is pixelated. I have also found that I have to reboot my computer every time I do a video or there may be a few spots in the video where half of the image is corrupted, flashing, inverted, etc.

Sorry no intent to crash in on this thread, but can I use my Gopro Video app to edit my 2k video?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1