Not safe to fly for the next two weeks thanks to the Sun.

Reaction score
News article today tv radio and Internet outages may occur over the next fortnight so this may affect GPS and or transmission frequencies.
I'll be keeping my bird in the cage foe a fortnight.
5a327b98119921b1416e3c830999cd0a.jpg

News article today tv radio and Internet outages may occur over the next fortnight so this may affect GPS and or transmission frequencies.
I'll be keeping my bird in the cage for a fortnight.
Ignore it - it's not going to effect GPS.
Other satellites — like GPS satellites, which use a medium Earth orbit (an altitude of about 20,000 kilometres) and don't orbit the equator, are also at risk of interference from the sun, because all satellites pass between the Sun and the Earth at some point.
But it won't necessarily be around the equinox.

Because of the different planes of orbit they inhabit, they won't be disrupted at the same time as geostationary satellites.
And because their orbit is faster, any outage is briefer.
Dr Aboutanios said non-geostationary satellites also typically have stronger signals, making them more resilient against the Sun's interference.

And next time you see a story about high K-index possibly causing trouble, ignore that too
These sky-is-falling stories come out all the time but there's never been any noticeable impact on drone flying.
At worst it may make your GPS position data a metre or two off.
But since GPS already has a 1-2 metre inaccuracy you wouldn't notice it if it did.

Ignore it - it's not going to effect GPS.
Other satellites — like GPS satellites, which use a medium Earth orbit (an altitude of about 20,000 kilometres) and don't orbit the equator, are also at risk of interference from the sun, because all satellites pass between the Sun and the Earth at some point.
But it won't necessarily be around the equinox.

Because of the different planes of orbit they inhabit, they won't be disrupted at the same time as geostationary satellites.
And because their orbit is faster, any outage is briefer.
Dr Aboutanios said non-geostationary satellites also typically have stronger signals, making them more resilient against the Sun's interference.

And next time you see a story about high K-index possibly causing trouble, ignore that too
These sky-is-falling stories come out all the time but there's never been any noticeable impact on drone flying.
At worst it may make your GPS position data a metre or two off.
But since GPS already has a 1-2 metre inaccuracy you wouldn't notice it if it did.

So.... will my tinfoil hat be needed or not? :D

Tin.... Foil?

*stares at custom made plate steel helmet*

I have never been stuck in a departure lounge while the pilot browsed the space weather website (including when UAV forecast recorded KP index as not safe to fly).
If a Carrington Class CME (1859) occurs again (one very narrowly missed Earth in 2012), you'll be unable to reach the Space Weather website, AND you'll be sitting in the Departure Lounge a VERY long time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31