Not getting the distance I should be?

Reaction score
So after having my drone for a few days I feel like im not getting the distance I should be. The max ive gotten out of it is 1300ft before losing signaling and initiating rth. I fly up and down the ditch line behind my house there isnt there nothing but trees and houses on each side of it. Ive seen videos of people flying stock phantom standards and flying over way more trees and getting so much more distance. I have the antenna pointing up and usually have 9-11 satellites. Maybe im doing something silly that is causing this. Also I have not flown it anywhere else other than behind my house. This weekend I will probably take it to a bigger area. Thanks

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is my flight log of the second flight of my last outing

Looks residential.

My guess would be significant wifi interference from all those houses.

Maybe try in a wide open space?

Reactions: Tony Cowan
That would make sense when i connect to the phantom i get a ton of other wifis. Guess ill try to make it out to the field this weekend.

So after having my drone for a few days I feel like im not getting the distance I should be. The max ive gotten out of it is 1300ft before losing signaling and initiating rth. I fly up and down the ditch line behind my house there isnt there nothing but trees and houses on each side of it. Ive seen videos of people flying stock phantom standards and flying over way more trees and getting so much more distance. I have the antenna pointing up and usually have 9-11 satellites. Maybe im doing something silly that is causing this. Also I have not flown it anywhere else other than behind my house. This weekend I will probably take it to a bigger area. Thanks

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is my flight log of the second flight of my last outing

When I first got mine It would only go out about 650'. I took the controller apart to add a iPad holder and noticed the antenna wire was bearly connected. I connected it and it went out to 2500' from my house. You may want to checkout yours

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 401
Thanks i will check that in a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Pulled the controller apart and the antenna wire seemed to be okay. I went ahead and pulled the connector apart and stuck it back on and reglued the connector. So ill see if that makes a difference and also im going to go to an open field when i get a chance after work this weekend.

Maybe it was the wire or maybe my location but i just got 7000 feet one way on my phantom. I was highly impressed and still had good signal and video. Only reason why I flipped it around is because I'm still breaking my battery in and didnt want to run it down to much. I will post my flight log later today when i get home from work. It was over a river also.

Maybe it was the wire or maybe my location but i just got 7000 feet one way on my phantom. I was highly impressed and still had good signal and video. Only reason why I flipped it around is because I'm still breaking my battery in and didnt want to run it down to much. I will post my flight log later today when i get home from work. It was over a river also.

That's good to hear. I had my longest flight yesterday out to 4500 feet, still had video but I chickened out and brought it back. I think I am going to buy a GPS tracker just in case it doesn't come home one day.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Just hit 8k and turned it around im impressed for sure. Crazy how location can make such a difference

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Just hit 8k and turned it around im impressed for sure. Crazy how location can make such a difference

8000ft! That's impressive for the stock standard.

Weather here has limited my to just a couple of very short tests. Wind is 45mph today.

Is this a standard (stock)?
I saw an ad eve that got 27k making me want to change birds.

I am looking at getting the standard while they still are on sale. I have the fc40 now but want better range and battery. Should I go with the standard or save up more for the pro? Opinions helpful. I do not really want to do much work to it.

Wow, you guys are getting incredible distances! I thought I was doing good at 3150 feet (at 1150 ft. AGL). I was going over a small mountain which was over 1000 feet above my launch point. I lost contact a few times. Certainly I could do much better on flat ground or over a body of water.

Far out...9,000ft with the P3s stock...did you have a good tail wind or something? well done!

Only tailwind I had was on the return home both times. I was flying north and the wind was blowing south. It was pretty windy between 10-20 mph winds.

Something to think about when flying down a ditch line, between houses, don't if you can help it. Fly over every thing, don't be afraid to get some height on your bird when you initially take off and get your bird out in front and I would say at least 40 meters (120 feet) in height, as a minimum depending on height of trees, you want to fly over the trees and still have line of sight on the bird. Next, ditches can have all kinds of power lines, phone lines, water lines, gas lines, etc running their length and buried. So, for a low flying Phantom, they can cause major flight problems. I know, I have had my P2 do a couple of crashes because of them and don't forget barbed wire fences with steel angle iron posts. The P2 taught me how to fly my P3P and P3S and what to be careful of and around.

So, all in all, stay well above houses and trees when flying.

Interesting thread. I'm currently torn between the Standard and the Advanced with the range being my biggest/primary concern. The $500 sale price makes the Standard really tempting. I'm just trying to decide if I can justify the extra $300 for the Advanced...

I've read a little about the DBS mod. How well does it actually work and how expensive is it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl