Normal behavior?

Reaction score
OK so I just got done flying and it was somewhat windy. The P4 was holding position perfect , not budging until a fairly strong gust hit and the P4 started ascending up. The gust lasted about a good 10 seconds but before the gust stopped I brought the p4 down and hand caught it. I uploaded my flight data to healthy drones and it says average wind was 12mph and gust was 19.7mph. Since I've never really flown in gusts this high is it common for the P4 to ascend while getting hit with a 20mph gust? I should also mention where I was flying is a parking lot surrounded by all desert which the parking lot is lower than the desert so the wind was coming over a hill sort of. I did walk up the hill and the wind was stronger than down on the parking lot. Now could the way the wind was blowing over and down into the parking lot caused the p4 to raise? The p4 was about 2 or 3 feet above the desert so about 20 feet above the parking lot. Any thoughts? Thanks and if this is a dumb question I'm sorry I'm still learning the ropes and how the p4 behaves.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I should also mention the P4 went up about 10 feet but didn't move horizontal position. I stopped it before it went any higher I sort of panicked so I have no idea if it might of came back down after the gust hit.

OK so I just got done flying and it was somewhat windy. The P4 was holding position perfect , not budging until a fairly strong gust hit and the P4 started ascending up. The gust lasted about a good 10 seconds but before the gust stopped I brought the p4 down and hand caught it. I uploaded my flight data to healthy drones and it says average wind was 12mph and gust was 19.7mph. Since I've never really flown in gusts this high is it common for the P4 to ascend while getting hit with a 20mph gust?
If the wind is parallel to the ground it should take more than 20 mph to move the Phantom but updrafts or downdrafts are a different matter.
If you have gusty updrafts, the Phantom can only descend at 6-7 mph so a strong updraft could lift a Phantom faster than it could correct.

If the wind is parallel to the ground it should take more than 20 mph to move the Phantom but updrafts or downdrafts are a different matter.
If you have gusty updrafts, the Phantom can only descend at 6-7 mph so a strong updraft could lift a Phantom faster than it could correct.
So maybe it was a updraft that caused it? Or the wind was stronger than 20mph? I've never seen my P4 do this and hopefully never again. It wasn't ascending very fast but it still made me extremely nervous. I wish I knew exactly what caused it. Or maybe my P4 could be defective somehow?

So maybe it was a updraft that caused it? Or the wind was stronger than 20mph? I've never seen my P4 do this and hopefully never again. It wasn't ascending very fast but it still made me extremely nervous. I wish I knew exactly what caused it. Or maybe my P4 could be defective somehow?
If you had a strong wind parallel to the ground, it shouldn't have made the Phantom ascend.
If it was stronger than the Phantom can withstand it would blow the Phantom back or sideways but not up.

If you had a strong wind parallel to the ground, it shouldn't have made the Phantom ascend.
If it was stronger than the Phantom can withstand it would blow the Phantom back or sideways but not up.
So what do you think caused it?

When it's calm my Phantom is rock steady, maybe moving a centimeter or two. But if it's windy outside it will gain altitude when in a hover and fluctuate, not to 10 feet but I was not in 19 mph winds either. Seems like there could be affects on the barometer when it's windy and that affects it's hover accuracy?

Reactions: Pharm
You only need a pressure differential of 0.01 psi in atmospheric pressure to get a 18 feet varience in elevation (temperature and initial elevation will change this) Could be the VPS that reflected on something that gave you a abnormal lift, this so far doe's not happen to my P4 with such a big altitude correction. Check the surface you took off on a see if the vps reflection could have been the cause. Just a theory.

I flew today again and again it was around the same wind speed with 20 mph gust and mine and my wife's p4 both got hit with a gust and went up about 4 feet maybe? It was awesome to watch them both behave the same exact way , like they were reflections of each other hahaha.

OK so I just got done flying and it was somewhat windy. The P4 was holding position perfect , not budging until a fairly strong gust hit and the P4 started ascending up. The gust lasted about a good 10 seconds but before the gust stopped I brought the p4 down and hand caught it. I uploaded my flight data to healthy drones and it says average wind was 12mph and gust was 19.7mph. Since I've never really flown in gusts this high is it common for the P4 to ascend while getting hit with a 20mph gust? I should also mention where I was flying is a parking lot surrounded by all desert which the parking lot is lower than the desert so the wind was coming over a hill sort of. I did walk up the hill and the wind was stronger than down on the parking lot. Now could the way the wind was blowing over and down into the parking lot caused the p4 to raise? The p4 was about 2 or 3 feet above the desert so about 20 feet above the parking lot. Any thoughts? Thanks and if this is a dumb question I'm sorry I'm still learning the ropes and how the p4 behaves.

...King, maybe not 'Normal' but prob also 'Not Abnormal' could've jus been an anomaly i.e. Wind (Gust) Compensating, VPS yada yada , most likely it was trying to protect itself being so low (imagine that)...
upload_2016-10-9_1-32-9.png

IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

...King, maybe not 'Normal' but prob also 'Not Abnormal' could've jus been an anomaly i.e. Wind (Gust) Compensating, VPS yada yada , most likely it was trying to protect itself being so low (imagine that)...
View attachment 66749
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
Thank you. Quick unrelated question. When I calibrate the IMU do I need to calibrate outside or can I calibrate inside say sitting on my coffee table?

Thank you. Quick unrelated question. When I calibrate the IMU do I need to calibrate outside or can I calibrate inside say sitting on my coffee table?
...King, 'I' have Never reCalibrated the IMU on any of my Craft, I've never had the need to nor have I gotten any indication to do so, however calibrating that device indoors shouldn't be a problem.. wanna hear something hilarious.. I've read of some that actually put it in the refrigerator prior to cal...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
...I do a ScrnCap of Sensors page (among others) prior to every flight to keep for logs...

Reactions: KingDad1985
...King, 'I' have Never reCalibrated the IMU on any of my Craft, I've never had the need to nor have I gotten any indication to do so, however calibrating that device indoors shouldn't be a problem.. wanna hear something hilarious.. I've read of some that actually put it in the refrigerator prior to cal...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
...I do a ScrnCap of Sensors page (among others) prior to every flight to keep for logs...
Haha I've read that too. I guess it shortens the warming up time?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues