Noob wifi (Phantom and GoPro, et al) questions ...

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been following the Gimbal wars ... quite amusing (some of you need a few valiums :)), but the back and forth about it all has got me thinking about my next purchase - whether it be a gimbal, or a new Quad (or hexa, or octa, or dodeca, or google)

So anyway, I've read that running your GoPro-type camera's wifi at the same time as the wifi on the phantom can cause problems ... namely flyaways ... is this correct?

Then I believe I read that somebody was using his camera's wifi to make adjustments while flying. Surely he's not risking a flyaway, is he? Or are *some* uses of the camera's wifi acceptable?

I guess I'm missing something here ... I guess the real question is this - if you purchase a sooper-dooper ultra good camera and strap it on a gimbal - do you have *any* use of it's great features while flying?

If not, what's the point? Is it merely picture/vid quality?

EDIT: I'm not a photographer ... just a new hobbyist trying to understand my options :)

So I guess those were stoopid questions.

Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.

I'll give it a shot.

GneeChee said:
Okay, so I've been following the Gimbal wars ... quite amusing (some of you need a few valiums :)), but the back and forth about it all has got me thinking about my next purchase - whether it be a gimbal, or a new Quad (or hexa, or octa, or dodeca, or google)

So anyway, I've read that running your GoPro-type camera's wifi at the same time as the wifi on the phantom can cause problems ... namely flyaways ... is this correct? There is no provision for using Go-pro on a Vision. Therefor there is no conflict with the Go-pro in any way. The Vision uses 5.8ghz for control. There is zero conflict with the Vision and WIFI and zero chance of wifi causing any "flyaway", the Vision's camera is a wifi camera by desiign (BTW, that is not necessarily the case for the Phantom 2 (non-vision) as it's control signal is 2.4ghz.) Perhaps you are confusing the P2 with the P2V?

Then I believe I read that somebody was using his camera's wifi to make adjustments while flying. Yes, the Vision allows full control over the camera while flying, you can tilt, frame and snap pictures, start and stop video, change ISO, ...)Surely he's not risking a flyaway, is he? NoOr are *some* uses of the camera's wifi acceptable? On the vision, all usage of wifi is acceptable.

I guess I'm missing something here ... I guess the real question is this - if you purchase a sooper-dooper ultra good camera and strap it on a gimbal - do you have *any* use of it's great features while flying? NO, the Vision only works with the Vision camera (well, except for those that are strapping another camera to it, but that is a different story altogether.)

If not, what's the point? Is it merely picture/vid quality? The point of a gimbal is stability.

EDIT: I'm not a photographer ... just a new hobbyist trying to understand my options :) As a hobbyist, the Vision is perfect for you, it's like having a pocket camera that can fly.

Okay ... I very much appreciate your response ... Very helpful.

However, in hindsight I don't think I worded my questions properly.

I understand all that you said about the VISION ... but I meant to ask about quads in general - I didn't mean to imply that I was asking about the Vision - sorry.

Is there a conflict between a non-vision's transmitter and the wifi on an external camera? It seems I keep reading about flyaways being caused by having the external camera's wifi turned on.

I'm trying to understand what that is all about.

BTW - I understand the point behind a gimbal - I shouldn't have even mentioned the Gimbal Wars ... my bad :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

GneeChee said:
Okay ... I very much appreciate your response ... Very helpful. You are welcome.

However, in hindsight I don't think I worded my questions properly.

I understand all that you said about the VISION ... but I meant to ask about quads in general - I didn't mean to imply that I was asking about the Vision - sorry. This is the Vision forum. The Vision is unique in many ways, one of which is that it uses 5.8ghz as a control signal. The most common control signal for other quads is 2.4ghz, in the case of other quads (that use 2.4ghz) wifi is and should be a concern.

Is there a conflict between a non-vision's transmitter and the wifi on an external camera? It seems I keep reading about flyaways being caused by having the external camera's wifi turned on. Same answer as above.

I'm trying to understand what that is all about.

BTW - I understand the point behind a gimbal - I shouldn't have even mentioned the Gimbal Wars ... my bad :) no worries.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'm going to come at it from a different way.

I have a Vision, and since there are a number of people in this forum that are experienced with non-vision quads and with other cameras, I decided to ask in this forum.

I'm happy with the quality of my photos and vids. But as I said, I'm no expert in that area. But the more I fly my Vision and use the camera, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying the camera aspect of all this.

That's why I've been watching the gimbal threads. I *might* purchase one for my vision. But I may also decide that I want to get more into the photo and video side - which means I might go a different route - get a better camera and a different type of quad (as some in this forum have done).

If I purchase a better camera, any wifi features will be (should be) unavailable when strapped to a (non-vision) quad. But, I've read of people using their camera's wifi while flying the quad ... hence my confusion. That was why I asked about wifi conflicts, etc.

Anyway, when I asked "what's the point?", I was referring to people who use wifi enabled cameras on their gimbals.

Clear as mud? :)

Anyway - themosttoys - thanks for taking the time and responding to my convoluted, bass-ackwards way of asking questions :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic