Noob Overwhelmed with Info

Reaction score
This forum is great, but holy smokes it is hard to find things. There is so much stuff here. Thousands of replies in one thread. Searches return so much stuff I can't weed through it all.

1. Is there an approved solution for a plug and play 3-axis gimbal? I'm not solder-worthy, but I'm not afraid to take it apart.

2. Is there an approved solution for a plug and play or near plug and play range extender?

Wish I had more time to read, but I've spent most of my morning and still haven't scratched the surface of all the good stuff on this forum. Thanks for the inputs.

No to both questions, unfortunately. Only advice I have is beware of the zealots. Some have established relationships with their antenna and especially thier gimbal. Careful not to call their gimball fat. Those are fighting words. Easy enough to see through the BS though. GL.

Hello.

Re: 2. I'm not solder-worthy either, but I modded the stock range extender to allow higher performance antennas to be added and it has both increased my wifi range and not broken the extender. Result! Here's a quick walk-through of me modding both the extender and the tx, neither required soldering. Note the brand of antenna isn't important, the mods allow you to fit what you want after you've done your research: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUpYNeTwaU

Re: 1. There are only a few "truly" plug-and-play on the market at the moment. There are some "plug-and-play" that come with little or no instruction but that you can research/get forum help on setting up. And there are some that are completely DIY involving a fair amount of knowledge to set up. Choices and prices for everyone. All have pros and cons, including price, quality, durability, future expandability, availability, mounting style and number of axes. The names in the frame (at the moment) to look at are probably: dronexpert gimbal, rotorpixel.com gimbal, 3DPower/Taco Supreme gimbal, newcomer visiongimbal.com. I think that's all the no-solder, plug-and-play ones out there for the moment (someone will correct me if I've forgotten one) although more keep appearing every week it seems!

Hope that helps the research!

To be clear, I was answering the gimbal question with respect to the "3-axis" question. For 2-axis, there are the options pull_up mentioned.

FlyingElvis said:
This forum is great, but holy smokes it is hard to find things. There is so much stuff here. Thousands of replies in one thread. Searches return so much stuff I can't weed through it all.

1. Is there an approved solution for a plug and play 3-axis gimbal? I'm not solder-worthy, but I'm not afraid to take it apart.

2. Is there an approved solution for a plug and play or near plug and play range extender?

Wish I had more time to read, but I've spent most of my morning and still haven't scratched the surface of all the good stuff on this forum. Thanks for the inputs.

if anyone knows anything about the brand new secret 3-axis rotorpixel gimbal. it'll be pull_up as per his latest video :D i'm surprised that the secret, secret purchase list hasn't been exposed yet :)

Bmews

Without retractable landing gear a 3-axis gimbal will show the landing gear when yawning....right?

Pull_Up said:
Hello.

Re: 2. I'm not solder-worthy either, but I modded the stock range extender to allow higher performance antennas to be added and it has both increased my wifi range and not broken the extender. Result! Here's a quick walk-through of me modding both the extender and the tx, neither required soldering. Note the brand of antenna isn't important, the mods allow you to fit what you want after you've done your research: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUpYNeTwaU

Re: 1. There are only a few "truly" plug-and-play on the market at the moment. There are some "plug-and-play" that come with little or no instruction but that you can research/get forum help on setting up. And there are some that are completely DIY involving a fair amount of knowledge to set up. Choices and prices for everyone. All have pros and cons, including price, quality, durability, future expandability, availability, mounting style and number of axes. The names in the frame (at the moment) to look at are probably: dronexpert gimbal, rotorpixel.com gimbal, 3DPower/Taco Supreme gimbal, newcomer visiongimbal.com. I think that's all the no-solder, plug-and-play ones out there for the moment (someone will correct me if I've forgotten one) although more keep appearing every week it seems!

Hope that helps the research!

Valuable reply Pull_Up, thanks for taking time to give a helpful answer. You remain an asset to this forum!

:)

BMEWS said:
if anyone knows anything about the brand new secret 3-axis rotorpixel gimbal. it'll be pull_up as per his latest video :D i'm surprised that the secret, secret purchase list hasn't been exposed yet :)

Bmews

I really should check what I put in those videos before I post them! Rotorpixel will be on my back for letting the cat out of the bag, especially on the first day of the month...

Sledge said:
Without retractable landing gear a 3-axis gimbal will show the landing gear when yawning....right?

Not if it's set up correctly. A 3 axis gimbal for our purposes just smooths out the yawing the aircraft needs to do to keep orientation in a crosswind. If you then do manual turns the 3rd axis option should just damp them a little, without letting landing gear show (unless you do some very fast pirouettes). Here's an example of 3 axis damping from the new Zenmuse H3-3D for the P2 - spot the GPS hold yaw jitter...? Nope, none. They do say that they are trying hard to throw it off balance and some leg does get in shot, but generally you still yaw the aircraft to get camera pan - but the 3rd axis smooths the motion and cuts out the side-to-side wobble you get from the aircraft trying to keep camera orientation in windy or turbulent conditions.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trw9aS22w9s[/youtube]

Pull_Up said:
Sledge said:

Not if it's set up correctly. A 3 axis gimbal for our purposes just smooths out the yawing the aircraft needs to do to keep orientation in a crosswind. If you then do manual turns the 3rd axis option should just damp them a little, without letting landing gear show (unless you do some very fast pirouettes). Here's an example of 3 axis damping from the new Zenmuse H3-3D for the P2 - spot the GPS hold yaw jitter...? Nope, none. They do say that they are trying hard to throw it off balance and some leg does get in shot, but generally you still yaw the aircraft to get camera pan - but the 3rd axis smooths the motion and cuts out the side-to-side wobble you get from the aircraft trying to keep camera orientation in windy or turbulent conditions.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trw9aS22w9s[/youtube]

aha! good info....thanks for sharing!

There's a lotta info to go thru, that's for sure,. but it all becomes much more clear over time.

Learning how to solder is quite beneficial in this hobby, and there's really nothing to it.
especially when you start getting into more advanced stuff.

while plug and play makes things (generally) easier, you can save a bunch if you tinker a little bit.

I just got a new Arris CM3000 that's $150 less than the DJI gimbal, and arguably has more control than the DJI.

But for half the price of the DJI H3-3d, you could also get into one of these, which looks to be a solid value:
https://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewpr ... source=EDM

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers