Noob needs advice

Reaction score
Hi guys!
This is the deal:
I work as a web developer in Mexico. Have done a few real estate websites. On the side, I am very interested in R/C, but never had the chance to own a helicopter or a quadcopter for that matter.

I thought I would kill two birds with one stone and get myself a Phantom with a GoPro camera to do aerial footage of some of the properties my customers want to sell/rent - and at the same time have some fun while making money. The town where I live has a very extensive offering of real estate, and I think I could make some money off doing aerial footage of the more expensive properties.

Do you think it is a viable setup? I am pretty confident I can get the Phantom up in the air and flying, but I have read a lot about jittery video (jelly?) that can be remedied by using foam and/or some kind of stabilizer that is set up with wires? Read about a $ 700 gimball (Pan/Tilt) about to be released. Is it true? Will it be worth the money?

Watching good Phantom footage, I think it is the way to go... but watching bad Phantom footage, I get scared of going all in and getting a setup like this. What is your take on this? Where can I get the cheapest setup? I have an LA address where I can get the stuff shipped to, and then take it to Mexico from there. Please share any experiences you might have had with this...

Thanks!!!
Otto

I know the other guys will offer up some great advise in addition to this. "Snake River Prototyping" has a product called a Blurfix adapter, that will attach to the waterproof housing of the GoPro, and Marumi ND4X, or ND8X filter, to help reduce jello, by slowing down the shutter in bright light. I would think it get's pretty bright in Mexico.
They also have a Mini Blurfix adapter that will attach directly to the GoPro so you could use it with a gimbal, such as the one that will soon be available from DJI.
I would wait and see what people have to say about the DJI gimbal, compared to others, before spending that much on one.

Balancing the Props, with a good balancer such as Du-bro, is essential too.
Carbon Fiber props 9" will provide smoother flight,and a little more lift.

Balancing the motors may or may not be needed, put the Phantom on a level surface, "without" the props attached and start the motors to see how much vibration it has.
DJI has stickers on the motors, which can throw the balance off, you may wish to remove the stickers.

Other vibration reducing GoPro mounts are available for the Phantom, and could help until you get a gimbal.

Overall, your idea is fantastic, and should be fun, and help provide a professional presentation for your potential customers.

Audaciter said:
I know the other guys will offer up some great advise in addition to this. "Snake River Prototyping" has a product called a Blurfix adapter, that will attach to the waterproof housing of the GoPro, and Marumi ND4X, or ND8X filter, to help reduce jello, by slowing down the shutter in bright light. I would think it get's pretty bright in Mexico.
They also have a Mini Blurfix adapter that will attach directly to the GoPro so you could use it with a gimbal, such as the one that will soon be available from DJI.
I would wait and see what people have to say about the DJI gimbal, compared to others, before spending that much on one.

Balancing the Props, with a good balancer such as Du-bro, is essential too.
Carbon Fiber props 9" will provide smoother flight,and a little more lift.

Balancing the motors may or may not be needed, put the Phantom on a level surface, "without" the props attached and start the motors to see how much vibration it has.
DJI has stickers on the motors, which can throw the balance off, you may wish to remove the stickers.

Other vibration reducing GoPro mounts are available for the Phantom, and could help until you get a gimbal.

Overall, your idea is fantastic, and should be fun, and help provide a professional presentation for your potential customers.

Wow, thanks so much for your help. And thanks for taking your time to answer! Cheers, or "Salud!" as we say here. Owe you a beer (or five) if we ever meet.

This is exactly the route I'm going. I've had a lot of positive feedback on the latest video I did for my boss.
Problem is, realators don't make that much money on properties, so pricing is iffy in this area.
A lot of realators want to pay AFTER the property is sold. This is going to be on the side for now...unless this idea can take off :lol: .Anyway lets enjoy my latest video. Oh and good luck on your venture, I'd like to hear how things are working for you later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQNTzuC_6Ec

getting great stills is pretty easy, but getting great video can indeed be quite a challenge.

you'll want to go thru all the mentioned steps to try to reduce vibrations, then use a vibrations reducing mount and shoot with a high framerate and perhaps look into using a ND filter as well. all those help with jello.

But then if you fly in wind you'll have shaky video as well (along with how you fly), so if you want more professional results you'll def want to get into a gimbal, preferably a new brushless kind.

and then you'll probably want to consider FPV, so you can actually see what you're filming.

it all adds up, but it's certainly a fun hobby
and if you can make a few $ out of it, it might pay off to spend a bit more on stuff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj