Noob buyer here. Couple of questions.

Reaction score
Hey guys , been wanting one of these for a couple of months now. Just pulled the trigger 5 mins ago. Found a PLUS in stock at RC Depot Hobbies in Cali. $1369.00 with the extra battery. Free ground shipping. I'm in FL., so it'll probably take a week to get to me. But , I was just glad to find one in stock somewhere. My question is do all the phantoms use the same size props and prop guards ? Does the PLUS come with prop guards ? Is there an online GO TO place for the carbon fiber props and accessories ? Can't wait to get this thing in the air !

FloridaKeysPirate said:
Hey guys , been wanting one of these for a couple of months now. Just pulled the trigger 5 mins ago. Found a PLUS in stock at RC Depot Hobbies in Cali. $1369.00 with the extra battery. Free ground shipping. I'm in FL., so it'll probably take a week to get to me. But , I was just glad to find one in stock somewhere. My question is do all the phantoms use the same size props and prop guards ? Does the PLUS come with prop guards ? Is there an online GO TO place for the carbon fiber props and accessories ? Can't wait to get this thing in the air !

The Vision, Phantom 2 and the Plus all use 9" props, which require the larger Phantom 2/Vision prop guards. - which I don't believe come with any Phantoms, and must be ordered separately.
be sure to only use the longer screws that come with them, and replace them with shorter screws. - or you could damage your motors.

There are a number of larger vendors you could go to for parts, AtlantaHobby, Century Heli, DSLRPros, B&H.

But do yourself a favor, hold off on the carbon fiber props, they're simply NOT necessary

DJI stock props are the best available, and fly the best. Carbon fiber props are much stiffer and much more dangerous. There is a video posted on these forums of someone who had carbon fiber props and they struck his arm making large gash's and his arm was gushing blood like crazy. With original props I don't think he would have had any major injuries. If you do a search you will find no good reviews for carbon fiber props just people made that they purchased them.

Is there any particular reason you are looking at getting carbon fiber props other than just for the sake of it being made of carbon fiber or looking like carbon fiber?

Thanks for the tips guys. I just liked the looks of the carbon fiber props. But , I'll pass if there's no advantage to using them. I'll go ahead and order some prop guards now.

I'm new as well. From what I read the carbon fiber props are a big hell no, and in my opinion the prop guards are a skip as well.

Having the prop guards on can put you in VRS easier. When you come down, make sure you always have some movement, forward/backward, side/side, especially if you decide to go with the prop guards.

FloridaKeysPirate said:
Thanks for the tips guys. I just liked the looks of the carbon fiber props. But , I'll pass if there's no advantage to using them. I'll go ahead and order some prop guards now.

FloridaKeysPirate said:
My question is do all the phantoms use the same size props and prop guards ? Does the PLUS come with prop guards ? Is there an online GO TO place for the carbon fiber props and accessories ? Can't wait to get this thing in the air !

The Phantom 2 uses larger blades and prop guards than the original Phantom. Be sure to get props/prop guards made for the Phantom 2. On props, I highly recommend you do NOT use carbon fiber or any other aftermarket prop. Only use DJI-stamped props made for the Phantom 2.

FloridaKeysPirate said:
[/quote]

POI. If you are interested in the prop guards, I have a set for the Vision I have never used. $20
Skynet1 Posts: 14

Well, back in the "early days" (a year or so ago :D), things were a lot different.

the stock DJI blades were kinda crappy and we didn't really have good vibration isolation options (just "moon gel" or sorbe-thane), and you guys would cringe at what was considered decent Phantom video.
The guys getting the good stuff would be the ones who rose early (no winds), and flew with well balanced CF props.
But for everyone else, Jello was a headache we had to deal with.

But now we've got great brushless gimbal options, which are mounted on pretty good vibration isolation mounts - and DJI has improved their props considerably. Jello is no longer an issue. - and IMHO, that means CF props are no longer necessary.
it's still popular on the high end Octocopters and stuff, but putting them on a Phantom is simply overkill. (and dangerous).

As for prop guards, I'd say they definitely have their place.
let's face it, if you're a newbie, and you don't have the benefit of a huge open area, odds are really high you're doing to run into something. (or even into the ground). - and that usually means replacing a few props or more.
The prop guards are basically like having training wheels, and I'd say that they just might be better to have than not, at least for the first 10-20 flights.
Once once gets experience and confidence tho I say yank 'em and sell them to the next beginner. (or keep around if you think you'll be flying low amongst bushes and trees)

Gizmo3000 said:
FloridaKeysPirate said:

The Vision, Phantom 2 and the Plus all use 9" props, which require the larger Phantom 2/Vision prop guards. - which I don't believe come with any Phantoms, and must be ordered separately.
be sure to only use the longer screws that come with them, and replace them with shorter screws. - or you could damage your motors.

There are a number of larger vendors you could go to for parts, AtlantaHobby, Century Heli, DSLRPros, B&H.

But do yourself a favor, hold off on the carbon fiber props, they're simply NOT necessary

I'm confused weather to use the longer screws or not.
phaz

Quote: Be sure to only use the longer screws that come with them, and replace them with shorter screws. - or you could damage your motors.

Someone appears to be speaking with fork tongue!
I'm thinking the suggestion is to not use the longer screws provided, but to replace them with shorter screws, however,
I can't say for certain. :?

The prop guards require longer screws, which are included with the guards.

When you remove the guards, you need to go back to the normal screws. The longer ones will damage the motors if the guards aren't in place.

shawnb199 said:
The prop guards require longer screws, which are included with the guards.

When you remove the guards, you need to go back to the normal screws. The longer ones will damage the motors if the guards aren't in place.

Sound advice, and clearly stated, Thanks much Shawn.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20