Noob advice

Reaction score
Hey guys, long time heli pilot, first time quad owner!

I picked up a lightly used P3p from a user here on the forum and received it after it crossed the USA from California to Miami. Everything looked good and undamaged. When connecting everything, the first thing I noticed was that I had the dreaded "Motor Obstruction" message! Now mind you that I haven't even spun up the motor yet, so I did a couple turns by hand after an inspection and couldn't find any issues.

I did a reboot, and the monitor still shows the obstruction message. With out props I did a spool up and still everything still seams good. So because the Phantom was shipped in a padded backpack (made for DJI) I thought a small piece of foam might have gotten in the motor, so one by one I took each motor off and blew them out with some can of air.... Still have the message.

So reading around, some think that an update might fix the problem. The quad is running 1.4. What might I be gaining or loosing by updating, and what are the chances of just an update will clear this problem?

BTW the previous owner never saw this message and he never crashed it (so he says). And how does the Phantom even know there is an obstruction before the motor is spooled up??

Thanks for the help!

I personally keep firmware updated to the latest versions. I have not had any issues. That's the first thing I would do. It is suspicious that you get an error right out of box, so to speak. I ship and receive copters very often, and have never encountered such an error, assuming it was packed well. So, I would update everything, including batteries, then calibrate everything. Go from there.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Adj,

I'm not sure about your error but thought I should chime in about the update question. I have 2 P3Pro's, both of them fly flawlessly and both of them remain on 1.4 firmware. I originally updated one to 1.5 but downgraded it back to 1.4 after issues with 1.5. I've had both of these birds since they first came out and they continue to fly very well. Version 1.4 was the first firmware that allowed advanced flight modes. I'm not advising you to update or not update, that's a decision for you to make based on researching the pros and cons on these forums but I doubt 1.4 is causing your issue. You may want to try reflashing 1.4 just to be sure that it wasn't a bad update.

Jerry

Sounds like the white foam block is still on the back of the gimbal.

Reactions: Oso
Thanks guys,
FlynNfrank, all packing materials including camera gimbal protection was removed.

How can the quad know of an obstruction before the mother spools up? After multiple reboots I never noticed any motor movement while booting up....

Send it back, and get another... 1.4 is a great version

Have you tried to start the motors yet? I only ask because a friend of mine had the same issue. When he finally started the motors, they worked fine and the message went away. (The message returned later but only because he landed in a hayfield like a big dummy and got fescue wrapped around the motor hub).

Use a version of Go APP that is compatable with FW 1.4. Never update firmware to get rid of a problem that wasn't caused by a firmware update in the first place. You could just create a second problem but not know it. Someone with 1.4 tell please tell him what Go App to use. Then like someone else says. Try it and see if all motors work.

Pharm..... Yes I have, without the blades on. I have re booted the P3 about 4 times and powered up the motors about 3 times. Every time the "motor Obstruction" message appears. Once clearing the message, it only re appears after a reboot.

DJI go 2.4.0?? I'm on 3.1.0.... I found I can get the APK.

Can someone confirm that this is the version that was working best with 1.4?

Cheers

I downloaded an APK that was labeled 2.4.3 and after I checked it all out it turned out to be 2.4.2.....oh well, I'll give it a shot and see if all is well with the "Motor obstruction" message. Thanks everyone for your help. I'll update after I get out of jury duty! o_O

2.4.2 is fine. But you just want to update the rc, not the bird or batteries, so be sure to leave them at 1.4. You will need to set your go-app on the phones or tablets app control list to not allow auto updates to the go-app also. Either 2.4.2 or 2.4.3 should work fine but if it doesn't, then find a 2.4.3 because that's what most of us are using without the current updates. I have 1.3.002 on my Advanced and 1.6.4 on my pro and both work fine with the 2.4.3 on the rc's

Successful download of 2.4.3.....and.....no more "motor obstruction" message! Did a test flight as well, and all is good in the hood.

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate all the help guys.... Cheers!!

Glad your fw upgrade stopped it. Fwiw, whenever I got/get that message it is referring to the camera gimbal motor. It DOES move on reboot. If it was me, I would be looking VERY closely with a magnifier glass all around THAT motor, even now. Something was/is/may be wrapped around or in IT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Glad your fw upgrade stopped it. Fwiw, whenever I got/get that message it is referring to the camera gimbal motor. It DOES move on reboot. If it was me, I would be looking VERY closely with a magnifier glass all around THAT motor, even now. Something was/is/may be wrapped around or in IT.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip!

I have read about other people not removing the protection at the camera gimbal. And being such a limited amount of space, I'm sure all sorts of stuff can get in that area (also being low to the dust and grime)....would be a good idea for it to be regular practice to keep that area clean.

Being a rc heli pilot, I would normally disassemble the whole bird and do a thorough reassemble. You never know what you really have when buying used. But it seems DJI keeps everything very tight and not very modular. But I'm sure I'll soon be taking apart what I can. (I read that the camera gimbal is not something to mess with tho).

Again thanks for all the help and keep them in the air!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20