Noise by too light, nd filter prevent?

Nd filter help me when I will have a day with too light

• M

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
hello guys and not ... I ask a little help regarding Nd filters: with plenty of light, day, risk of focus images, too light or viceversa. using, nd filter, improved the situation of too much light?
Thanks in advance.
Ciao

Good quality filters aren't going to degrade the focus or sharpness of your pictures. In general, most of the folks here don't use filters (other than the UV filter that comes on the camera) for still pictures. Its easier to change exposure by adjusting the shutter speed and you can do that anytime while in flight. I (we) use ND filters when shooting movies to see the exposure down around 1/2 the frames per second. For example, if I am shooting at 25 frames per second, I would use NDs to get the shutter speed down to close to 1/50 second. the theory is that that give just enough blaring to allow the frames to blend smoothly together. The other setting that you want is to try keeping the sensitivity (ISO) at 100. Higher settings starts to introduce noise in the images.

Th
Good quality filters aren't going to degrade the focus or sharpness of your pictures. In general, most of the folks here don't use filters (other than the UV filter that comes on the camera) for still pictures. Its easier to change exposure by adjusting the shutter speed and you can do that anytime while in flight. I (we) use ND filters when shooting movies to see the exposure down around 1/2 the frames per second. For example, if I am shooting at 25 frames per second, I would use NDs to get the shutter speed down to close to 1/50 second. the theory is that that give just enough blaring to allow the frames to blend smoothly together. The other setting that you want is to try keeping the sensitivity (ISO) at 100. Higher settings starts to introduce noise in the images.
Thank

I have to disagree, to a point, Richard. Anytime you put something in front of a lens it's going to degrade the picture/video. How much just depends on the quality. Although,with a very good quality filter most people couldn't tell a difference. But you're correct on your main point and good explanation.

I have to disagree, to a point, Richard. Anytime you put something in front of a lens it's going to degrade the picture/video. How much just depends on the quality. Although,with a very good quality filter most people couldn't tell a difference. But you're correct on your main point and good explanation.
Let's look at one ....
ND filter, will give help or not to remove too much light?
But as I understand, using nd filter I have the same effect "gain" that also can adjust "ev with +/-" .... but this way (with nd filter) is not more comfortable?

Let's look at one ....
But as I understand, using nd filter I have the same effect "gain" that also can adjust "ev with +/-" .... but this way (with nd filter) is not more comfortable?

Let's look at one ....
Yes, a filter will help in bright situations. As Richard said, it can be used to adjust shutter speed/iso.

Yes, a filter will help in bright situations. As Richard said, it can be used to adjust shutter speed/iso.
Very kind, you and the other friends... just to let me know, is ok to have a nd8 or is better nd16 due too bright image....
Ciao and thank again

Can't help you there as I have never used an ND on the p4p.
Assurdo, che risposte di xxxx... guarda, scrivo in italiano così non mi sbatto a tradurre, ma se ti interessa traduci tu....
Come pretendi di dare una mano se poi non usi i filtri? Che scrivi a fare? Assurdo!

Very kind, you and the other friends... just to let me know, is ok to have a nd8 or is better nd16 due too bright image....
Ciao and thank again
It depends on the time of day and how much light there is. ND8 is normally for partly cloudy/lower light conditions, and ND16 is good for mostly sunny and bright conditions. You can always experiment and see the results.

It depends on the time of day and how much light there is. ND8 is normally for partly cloudy/lower light conditions, and ND16 is good for mostly sunny and bright conditions. You can always experiment and see the results.
Great Thank! Now I have any idea...
I WILL try nd16 with high Sun and brightness and I hope is the best more of regolate "ev" in manual mode... ciao

I totally agree with this. If you're using manual mode, and let's say on a nice sunny day you're filming at 4K 60 FPS you want your shutter speed around 120. ISO at 100 and you want your aperture in the sweet spot area from 4 to 8. You will notice without an ND filter that you will be over exposed slightly even at 11 if you choose to keep your shutter speed where it's at. With an ND Filter let's say an 8 or 16, you will be able to keep your aperture in that sweet spot area with beautiful results.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Lescenatt
I totally agree with this. If you're using manual mode, and let's say on a nice sunny day you're filming at 4K 60 FPS you want your shutter speed around 120. ISO at 100 and you want your aperture in the sweet spot area from 4 to 8. You will notice without an ND filter that you will be over exposed slightly even at 11 if you choose to keep your shutter speed where it's at. With an ND Filter let's say an 8 or 16, you will be able to keep your aperture in that sweet spot area with beautiful results.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thank, very help full... please just Last question, thank,; nd filter will improve just the photo or also the video revording during the FPV... Many thank ciao :)))

Thank, very help full... please just Last question, thank,; nd filter will improve just the photo or also the video revording during the FPV... Many thank ciao :)))
As I suggested in my first post, if you are only going to shoot stills during a flight, don't use any ND filter. For stills, you want the fastest shutter speed. It's in the video that you want to control the shutter based on frame speed.

As Richard said, an ND filter will help mostly with video, and it will help a LOT, because it will allow you to keep the shutter speed reasonably slow. Shutter speed too fast (higher numbers) makes video that doesn't look very smooth.

Just my opinion: if you're only getting one ND filter, make it an ND8. It will be useful more often than an ND16, especially with the Phantom 4 Pro. When it's really really bright outside, the ND8 will still be helpful.

Last edited:
As I suggested in my first post, if you are only going to shoot stills during a flight, don't use any ND filter. For stills, you want the fastest shutter speed. It's in the video that you want to control the shutter based on frame speed.
Yes off corse! ... if still on air, I not need the filter because I will use a ev regulations, but my problem is only I are on moving...may be that change a direction of the drone, I will have too light as over exposure ( or lower, i donT know) . To prevent this, I have and Idea... why donT use the Nd filter? May be help me to improve the lower-high exposure due the light? ...and then made this question :) .
You are of help for me. Thank
Ciao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues