no video signal from gopro

Reaction score
good morning,
so ive recently got my Boscam/Neewer RX-LCD5802 5.8 ghz to go with my immersion rc 600 mw (im flying a dji phantom 2 with H33D option) and ive selected channel 3 (or so i think) and i'm only receiving the mini iosd information displaying on the screen when i start up. can anyone shed some light on what i may have done incorrectly so i can start trouble shooting? im VERY new but learning fast.

i do appreciate any and all suggestions.
thanks

So, your TX and RX are working correctly if you can see the IOSD, as this is part of the video signal. The issue lies with the connection between your GoPro and the IOSD.

Check the USB cable to the GoPro is not damaged, as there is a known failure of the ribbon cable if handled too roughly. Also check the connection into the IOSD and any joins between it and the gimbal.

Please post a picture of your setup.. I've seen sometimes the flimsy video wire isn't fully inserted into the video output plug..

videooutput__43709.1413904814.1000.1200.jpg

UAV-Outlet said:
Please post a picture of your setup.. I've seen sometimes the flimsy video wire isn't fully inserted into the video output plug..

videooutput__43709.1413904814.1000.1200.jpg

thanks for the timely response...
here is what i got.

1. i checked the ribbon and it looks fine except for where it naturally bends but i dont think its torn, please see images below

2. i've noticed that the usb connector to the gopro doesnt connect flush. not sure if this is how its suppose to be. see images below

Attachments

• BD5A0001.jpg
    BD5A0001.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • BD5A0002.jpg
    BD5A0002.jpg
    869.2 KB · Views: 970
  • BD5A0003.jpg
    BD5A0003.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 987
  • BD5A0006.jpg
    BD5A0006.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 958
  • BD5A0009.jpg
    BD5A0009.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 925
3. on immersion rc 600 mw i connected and placed on channel 3. image below

4. my modifications are as seen below

5. gimbal is connected as following. not sure what this connection is. see image below (excuse typos)

Attachments

• BD5A0021.jpg
    BD5A0021.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 883
  • BD5A0033.jpg
    BD5A0033.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 877
  • BD5A0037.jpg
    BD5A0037.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 887
  • BD5A0039.jpg
    BD5A0039.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 896
  • BD5A0047.jpg
    BD5A0047.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 944
6. this is what i get when i turn it on.

7. gimbal issues. not sure if its related but couldn't hurt posting. the gimbal doesn't tilt completely downward. see below

thanks. sorry about the lengthy post and as always any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated

Attachments

• BD5A0055.jpg
    BD5A0055.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 911
  • BD5A0057.jpg
    BD5A0057.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 879
  • BD5A0060.jpg
    BD5A0060.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 912
  • BD5A0062.jpg
    BD5A0062.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 907
The channel you have selected (CH3) will not make a difference at the moment, as noiseboy said, the OSD information comes over the same link, so your issue is between the GoPro and the and the iOSD mini.

First thing, make sure the GoPro is turned on, and the USB plug is seated in it. Your plug is sitting fine, and will not go all the way into the GoPro as the USB connector is longer than the GoPro socket. The usual offending point of failure is the ribbon cable that goes from the GoPro USB plug into the H3-3D. You mention that it is creased, this may have caused one or more of the tracks in it to fail.

When you turn the Phantom on, does the GoPro display that it is charging? I would try swapping out the USB cable for the spare that comes in the H3-3D box if you still have it, but be very gentle as it is known to tear and become damaged very easily :)

Not sure if it will make a difference but by default the Gopro will be set to NTSC and not PAL.
As for the gimbal not pointing all the way down you need to calibrate that channel (X1 I think) in the software.

thegenius said:
[attachment=3]BD5A0055.jpg[/attachment

All looks good, video tx to rx is working fine..

As for the "Plug and Play" wire, be sure that they are correct..
file.php

thegenius said:

7. gimbal issues. not sure if its related but couldn't hurt posting. the gimbal doesn't tilt completely downward. see below

thanks. sorry about the lengthy post and as always any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated
Go into Phantom assistant and make sure all sliders are in center position.. Also double check you have full range of movement with your X1 by calibrating it..

Just noticed your anti interference board is on the wrong side to where it normally goes.
Normally it goes to the right of the receiver,it looks like it is but your picture is taken upside down.
As a result I wonder if you have the leads going to and from the anti interference board the wrong way round cause it is on the "wrong" side and you are somehow blocking the signal?

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/image/data/Bl ... C_5598.jpg

smallman28 said:
Just noticed your anti interference board is on the wrong side to where it normally goes.
Normally it goes to the right of the receiver,it looks like it is but your picture is taken upside down.
As a result I wonder if you have the leads going to and from the anti interference board the wrong way round cause it is on the "wrong" side and you are somehow blocking the signal?

thanks for the suggestion...
i've moved the interference board to the correct side...
i'm still not getting any video signal.
i've even tried to power up with the board removed to see if somehow it was the board that was the issue. still nothing.
see image below

Attachments

• BD5A0072.jpg
    BD5A0072.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 714
smallman28 said:
Not sure if it will make a difference but by default the Gopro will be set to NTSC and not PAL.
As for the gimbal not pointing all the way down you need to calibrate that channel (X1 I think) in the software.

thanks. iv'e tried this as the monitor did come from china and doesn't have a ntsc/pal option to switch. after you mentioned this i thought "well maybe the monitor is PAL"
well long story short that didn't work either.

i however thought maybe the monitor was the culprit. i tried pluging another gopro into the (mini usb)/(av in) socket not mounted to the phantom and i still got no signal.
so i thought maybe the gopros needed updating, so i did, still nothing. i then pluged same connection into my canon dslr camera and i got a signal/picture. so the monitor works.
thanks again. i'll keep trying the other suggestions.

UAV-Outlet said:
thegenius said:

All looks good, video tx to rx is working fine..

As for the "Plug and Play" wire, be sure that they are correct..

thanks for your suggestions...
as for the plug and play cables....
this is where i got them..

http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... Shark.html

and this is the video i followed to the tee (the concept was the same) eventho i dont have the goggles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ido6peKTKKo

harryb said:
The channel you have selected (CH3) will not make a difference at the moment, as noiseboy said, the OSD information comes over the same link, so your issue is between the GoPro and the and the iOSD mini.

First thing, make sure the GoPro is turned on, and the USB plug is seated in it. Your plug is sitting fine, and will not go all the way into the GoPro as the USB connector is longer than the GoPro socket. The usual offending point of failure is the ribbon cable that goes from the GoPro USB plug into the H3-3D. You mention that it is creased, this may have caused one or more of the tracks in it to fail.

When you turn the Phantom on, does the GoPro display that it is charging? I would try swapping out the USB cable for the spare that comes in the H3-3D box if you still have it, but be very gentle as it is known to tear and become damaged very easily :)

so i replaced the ribbon. and i NOW HAVE A VIDEO SIGNAL.
i can't believe that the sensitivity of the ribbon is that flimsy. wow. well i also just ordered like 5 more replacements. because i literally flew the phantom once and the ribbon was already damaged. thanks alot for the suggestion. now to figure out how to get the picture to fill the entire screen and not give me letter box picture - yikes. but all in all im happy.

UAV-Outlet said:
thegenius said:

Go into Phantom assistant and make sure all sliders are in center position.. Also double check you have full range of movement with your X1 by calibrating it..

this was corrected by going to the phantom assistant. the advance tab, gimbal tab, then setting the config on the horizontal limit and vertical limit controls.

thanks again.

thegenius said:
harryb said:

i can't believe that the sensitivity of the ribbon is that flimsy. wow. well i also just ordered like 5 more replacements. because i literally flew the phantom once and the ribbon was already damaged. thanks alot for the suggestion. now to figure out how to get the picture to fill the entire screen and not give me letter box picture - yikes. but all in all im happy.

Spares of those ribbon cables are always really useful to have I have found :lol:

smallman28 said:

I signed up after seeing our image on here.

thegenius said:
harryb said:

Glad to see you got everything working. We find those ribbon cables can be rather fragile and it's definitely a good Idea to have spares. Enjoying the Phantom?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers