No Video from GCU. PLEASE HELP!!

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end. I've tried everything. Been working on this dang thing for 2 days.

I know my video Tx works fine, as I can plug a usb into the gopro and get video out of that. So it's not my FPV setup. Iv'e switched the AV cables coming out of the GCU to my Tx, I've switched GCU's, (bought two gimbals just in case) I even switched out the gimbal itself. It worked for a second with both gimbals, then after closing phantom up, all I get is a black screen on the goggles.

Any idea what could be wrong? I have an actual job with this rig tomorrow and my client is relying on the FPV...I'm thinking of just hooking up the USB to at LEAST get a video feed that way.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Little quiet, eh?

Here's the update:

Still no video out of GCU no matter WHAT I do...I went to the store to purchase a new gopro, hoping that something maybe went bad in the connector on the back of it. But no dice. That's all I can do at this point.

It's not the

-AV Cable
-Gopro
-Transmitter or Receiver
-Gimbal
-GCU

As far as I know, those are the ONLY components that have anything to do with the video signal.

Any advice or suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks!

You state: "I know my video Tx works fine, as I can plug a usb into the gopro and get video out of that."
Perhaps I'm missing something, but how does getting video out of your GoPro with USB establish that your video Tx is working fine? This observations seems to guide your interpretation of the situation but to me, the observation makes no sense...

Steve

tobycool23 said:
I'm at my wits end. I've tried everything. Been working on this dang thing for 2 days.

I know my video Tx works fine, as I can plug a usb into the gopro and get video out of that. So it's not my FPV setup. Iv'e switched the AV cables coming out of the GCU to my Tx, I've switched GCU's, (bought two gimbals just in case) I even switched out the gimbal itself. It worked for a second with both gimbals, then after closing phantom up, all I get is a black screen on the goggles.

Any idea what could be wrong? I have an actual job with this rig tomorrow and my client is relying on the FPV...I'm thinking of just hooking up the USB to at LEAST get a video feed that way.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm

Sounds like your TX or RX downlink is the issue.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am outputting the video via a usb cable out of the gopro USB jack, into my fatshark video transmitter. The video receiver picks up the signal and displays it on my video goggles...how does this NOT make sense??

I know my video transmitter is working fine. The problem lies somewhere between the zenmuse h3-2d gimbal, and the GCU A/V out jack.

Does that make sense?

To be clear, there is no problem with my video transmitter or receiver. I am getting video transmitted through that using other methods. So it can't be that....

Ok, the video works via USB out of the GP but does not work coming from the Zen connection out the back of the GP? Is that right?

E

edunwody said:
Ok, the video works via USB out of the GP but does not work coming from the Zen connection out the back of the GP? Is that right?

E

Exactly! I know the gp works too, because I swapped that out and still no signal from GCU. Also, I actually have a spare gimbal and GCU so I replaced those too. Still the same problem. I really don't know what else it could actually be, as those are the only components that have anything to do with the video feed. Am i missing something??

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Hi tobycool23,

I had the exact same symptom as you on a V1 H3-2D. I didn't have the option of trying two sets of gimbals for parts, but did try both the upgrade board and the GCU/PMU installation option. Neither worked. I ended up returning the gimbal to my retailer (B&H Photo) for an exchange. I got a V2 gimbal (you can tell from the mounting screws for the gimbal to the vibration isolation plate... for V2 they are screwed in down from the plate to the gimbal where as the V1 are screwed in upwards from the gimbal to the plate) as a replacement and the video out works fine now. If your gimbals are both V1's, you may want to return them to the retailer for an exchange.

Hope you get your setup working.

cdshepp said:
Hi tobycool23,

I had the exact same symptom as you on a V1 H3-2D. I didn't have the option of trying two sets of gimbals for parts, but did try both the upgrade board and the GCU/PMU installation option. Neither worked. I ended up returning the gimbal to my retailer (B&H Photo) for an exchange. I got a V2 gimbal (you can tell from the mounting screws for the gimbal to the vibration isolation plate... for V2 they are screwed in down from the plate to the gimbal where as the V1 are screwed in upwards from the gimbal to the plate) as a replacement and the video out works fine now. If your gimbals are both V1's, you may want to return them to the retailer for an exchange.

Hope you get your setup working.

Thank you for the answer! I will pack it up and send it back. I think DJI rushed their V1 gimbal to "please the crowds" if you will. Seems I have been hearing a lot of these stories lately.

My next step was to buy the upgrade board and get rid of the PMU V2 and the GCU, and hope that that solved my problem...but I guess that won't work either. I'll touch base and let you know if that works.

Now, the bad part is that I will probably have to wait for-ev-er. :)

Thanks again!

Thank you sir!

Is ANYONE else having this issue??? I sure would like to know...

I had no idea there were two versions...why would DJI do this and not tell anyone or do a recall or something. It's a little shady if you ask me. I guess I will box it up and try and send it back. I ordered from B&H, but I'm like two days past the 30 day return policy. Hopefully they will honor it, seeing how it's a faulty unit.

I'll touch base and update soon.

Thanks again for the help!

I think (I have no data to support other than noticing the different issues reported on the various forums), the "no video out" issue is far less common than the screeching motors issue. That, or the percentage of folks using FPV to folks just flying by sight is considerably small... so the issue doesn't get noticed as much. But I have seen other owners post on other forums about the no-video issue, so it is not just our two setups.

DJI also does not label the different builds as V1 or V2 (at least that I can tell from what I've read on the forums). But the physical differences are there. As noted from another person in another thread, there is the mounting screw difference, the brushless motors look different, the motors also sound different and I think the other poster noted the difference in material used for the vibration isolation plate. The motors on my V1 hummed (according to DJI, this is "normal"), the new build's motors do not hum and are absolutely quite while in use.

All that being said... I am, so far... really happy with the new gimbal I received as a replacement though. I have noticed the gimbal does take a minute to warm up though and sits a little crooked until then. But it is ready well before the Phantom's IMU is done warming up.

Cheers

Thanks again for the help.

I contacted B&H, where I purchased my gimbal. They told me that at this point there is nothing that they can do. They then told me to contact DJI, and speak to their customer service dept. Guess what? Their website says to contact the dealer...

hmmmm....

So I submitted a form anyway, and I am waiting to hear back. I have heard of horror stories before about DJI's crappy customer service. I can only hope that my story is a bit more positive.

Any advice here folks??

I sure as heck don't want to blow ANOTHER $700 on one of these things if I am going to just inherit more problems...

Thanks in advance.

Mine definitely has a "hum" to it. So between that and the no video out, I think it's safe to say I have a "V1" gimbal.

Now, if I could only get DJI to reply to my complaint. This is going to be fun.

Has anyone ever had any good response from DJI? I have heard nothing but negative reviews about their customer service.

B&H will not honor any sort of return or exchange since it's past the 30 days. But I think they should. Seeing as how I purchased it from them...but that's just my opinion.

Based on my personal observations of each and consistent with reported characteristics, if you have:

- Motor bells that say Maxxon on them
- Screws placed through the gimbal foot and then threaded into an aluminum lower mounting plate from below
- An aluminum GoPro retaining bracket

Then you have 'v1'.

Steve

tobycool23 said:
Mine definitely has a "hum" to it. So between that and the no video out, I think it's safe to say I have a "V1" gimbal.

Now, if I could only get DJI to reply to my complaint. This is going to be fun.

Has anyone ever had any good response from DJI? I have heard nothing but negative reviews about their customer service.

B&H will not honor any sort of return or exchange since it's past the 30 days. But I think they should. Seeing as how I purchased it from them...but that's just my opinion.

I'm having the same problem

I have the following:

Phantom 2 with H3-2d Gimbal (based on the comments it looks like I have version 2)
I have the 8pin cable from the gimbal to the DJI FPV Hub
Then the 8Pin from the hub to the Phantom 2

My FPV transmitter and receiver works great, but, I can't get a video signal out of the gimbal.

I've updated all of the firmware on the RC, Phantom, Gimbal, & GoPro... nothing.... I spoke with DJI's customer service, but, they had never seen the FPV hub before. :) Go figure. Tech support hasn't even seen half of the products so they can't really help.

Anyone? I can't really use the Gopro video out cable as it will interfere with the gimbal. Seriously frustrated. No idea what to try next.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl