No Signal.Fail Rtn Home. Crash. ESC error. Now what

Reaction score
Less than 30 days old...flew over lake to areas have before with no problem. No signal out of nowhere. retun home twice failed. Thought for sure lost in water but reviewed flight and showed over land by 30 feet. Rushed to area and homeowner had it saying it went full speed into tree and battery came out on impact. One rotor broke. Gimble is fine..starts up but sits on "aircraft warming up" screen for extra amount of time...then safe to fly. Go to take off and I get the ESC error. So now what..DJI says my fault and charges me $200 plus for ESC board and hourly cost...housing cracked a little but not too bad. After reviewing the flight it shows I flew it into the tree as if I planned it...but with no signal and smashing the return home button I dont see how I ever would of pressed forward especially not being able to see the screen. H&R has a complete body only minus camera for $350..this is sounding like the fastest and best option as DJI is 7-9 weeks and who knows what all Ill be charged. I just feel like a failure in updated software that lead to the crash and hard to swallow having to pay as much as Im thinking its going to be through DJI. Any help..ideas..suggestions welcomed. Thanks guys

Reactions: johnrobbfl
DJI is usually pretty fair when reviewing flight logs. If you'd like us to weigh in, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

I doubt DJI is going to charge you for the repair, I had an ESC fail on my standard a few months ago and it went down in a tree. DJI had no problems fixing it and covered shipping both ways, the first trip to repair only took 3 weeks total.

Reactions: Mfoster82
I doubt DJI is going to charge you for the repair, I had an ESC fail on my standard a few months ago and it went down in a tree. DJI had no problems fixing it and covered shipping both ways, the first trip to repair only took 3 weeks total.

Im afraid they will look at this flight data and just say I thumbed forward and flew into the tree by rookie mistake instead of what I really saw of blank screen and no signal warnings. the esc error came AFTER the wreck so....crap.

Here's the last position your DJI GO flight log recorded:

trees.png

As you can see, you were flying your Phantom toward the trees (where I'm assuming it crashed). Your log also shows you were still commanding the sticks at the very end. The downlink was lost right after that and your Phantom no doubt coasted for another second or so until it reached it's final destination (or the remote controller was still connected and you kept flying without realizing it). If you were smashing the RTH button at that point, it was already too late.

You noted the homeowner said "it went full speed into [a] tree". That's exactly what your log shows. Your Phantom was flying at 25 MPH at the point on the map above.

Here's the last position your DJI GO flight log recorded:

View attachment 58820

As you can see, you were flying your Phantom toward the trees (where I'm assuming it crashed). Your log also shows you were still commanding the sticks at the very end. The downlink was lost right after that and your Phantom no doubt coasted for another second or so until it reached it's final destination (or the remote controller was still connected and you kept flying without realizing it). If you were smashing the RTH button at that point, it was already too late.

You noted the homeowner said "it went full speed into [a] tree". That's exactly what your log shows. Your Phantom was flying at 25 MPH at the point on the map above.

I dont know if you can see the video but 10 seconds or so before the crash I was hovering when I lost signal and pressed rtn home twice. None of the controls were responsive...I saw after the flight where it showed I flew forward...if logs are true then somehow I did after I lost signal on my screen. Do I have any argument here as to the device not returning home when it lost signal? From my end everything was ok, hovered for a moment then no signal and no screen. paused a moment, rtn home twice, rebooted app and anything else. video shows me hovering then out of nowhere looking right and speeding to tree. video stops 1 second before impact. If I had control somehow after it told me there is no signal I would think nothing Im doing is working and to reply on return home. Ugh just hoping there is a cost effective outcome than buying the $350 part from B&H. Thank you for looking through this for me. I dont understand why the warnings I got didnt show on the flight..have to assume it was after the wreck I guess. breaks my heart I really enjoyed it.

I dont know if you can see the video but 10 seconds or so before the crash I was hovering when I lost signal and pressed rtn home twice.
No, I cannot see the video. Please upload your video to YouTube and post a link here.

I saw after the flight where it showed I flew forward...if logs are true then somehow I did after I lost signal on my screen.
The logs only shows data while video is appearing in DJI GO. When the video drops out, DJI GO also can no longer log data. There is a second log on your Phantom that includes all of the data. If interested, you can retrieve that log using these instructions.

The remote controller connection does not always drop out at the same time as the video. So, it's possible that you were still controlling the Phantom after the video stopped displaying in DJI GO. If the remote controller signal had dropped for 3+ seconds, your Phantom would have started to return home.

No, I cannot see the video. Please upload your video to YouTube and post a link here.

The logs only shows data while video is appearing in DJI GO. When the video drops out, DJI GO also can no longer log data. There is a second log on your Phantom that includes all of the data. If interested, you can retrieve that log using these instructions.

The remote controller connection does not always drop out at the same time as the video. So, it's possible that you were still controlling the Phantom after the video stopped displaying in DJI GO. If the remote controller signal had dropped for 3+ seconds, your Phantom would have started to return home.

Thank you so much for all this info. Great amount of help. Soon as I get home I will upload video. Thank you again for all your help and information. Being new to all this its people like you that make this all worth it and not as timid to ask for help

As Im over the jetski I lose everything on the remote end..shows me looking around but not at the target then bullet for trees. last thing I actually saw was the jetski in front of me a few feet. I was flying another p3a with a friend and I noticed when we get close our screens mess up and there are issues. at the time this happened his p3a was hovering above us and he was controlling from 30 ft away. my loss happened as it was overhead..could this of been a signal mixup somehow? last time we flew together we had to be a good distance for no interference...possible causes?

Last edited:
As Im over the jetski I lose everything on the remote end..shows me looking around but not at the target then bullet for trees.
Your log shows the right stick was in the full up position as your Phantom was bolting toward the trees. What exactly were you doing with your remote controller at that time?

at the time this happened his p3a was hovering above us and he was controlling from 30 ft away. my loss happened as it was overhead..could this of been a signal mixup somehow?
I've never heard of anything like that occurring.

I really want to follow until end of this issue, because my P4 (updated firmware) is so often "no signal" even not in long range (less than 300 mtrs). Since then, I am a bit afraid to fly the bird that often.

Sorry about your bird. I hope everything is ok

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I really want to follow until end of this issue, because my P4 (updated firmware) is so often "no signal" even not in long range (less than 300 mtrs). Since then, I am a bit afraid to fly the bird that often.

Sorry about your bird. I hope everything is ok

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks..its terrible but a lesson learned. Ive flown this area from same location multiple times but only have issues when i fly close to my friend when hes flying his p3a. I just purchased a new one unfortunately. Ill send mine into dji and see how bad the bill will be. How well does the collision avoidance system work on your p4?

Your log shows the right stick was in the full up position as your Phantom was bolting toward the trees. What exactly were you doing with your remote controller at that time?

I've never heard of anything like that occurring.

Yea i saw where it shows me sticking forward full power i just dont see how i would of when i hit rtn hme when i was hovering and looking left and right. That was definitely me looking around because that was when i lost signal and i was hoping to regain. I just dont ever remember consciously flying straight when i knew i was only at 22 ft. I looked left and right then kept hitting home button. I know the flight detail shows different but i had no control since the momebt5of hover.

upload_2016-7-3_0-29-58.png

I bought this then I will send in the damaged one to dji. I assume I will have to manually sync remote with this new one. What other changes are to be expected? dji go app? thanks for all your help and I will update as dji gets back with me

Yea i saw where it shows me sticking forward full power i just dont see how i would of when i hit rtn hme when i was hovering and looking left and right.
The DJI GO flight log records the actual stick input. Even though you do not remember moving the right stick to the full up position and/or aren't sure why you'd do that, that's what you did. Your log also does not show RTH being initiated at any point during your flight.

FYI, you must press and hold the RTH button on the remote control in order to initiate RTH. Pressing and releasing the RTH button quickly will not do anything.

I just dont ever remember consciously flying straight when i knew i was only at 22 ft.
It might not have been consciously done if the Lightbridge connection disconnected (meaning you lost video). Many pilots become disoriented and/or have no idea they are still in control of the aircraft when the video is no longer displaying in DJI GO.

I bought this then I will send in the damaged one to dji.
That aircraft will be unusable since it does not have a camera/gimbal. I think you meant to purchase this one instead.

The DJI GO flight log records the actual stick input. Even though you do not remember moving the right stick to the full up position and/or aren't sure why you'd do that, that's what you did. Your log also does not show RTH being initiated at any point during your flight.

FYI, you must press and hold the RTH button on the remote control in order to initiate RTH. Pressing and releasing the RTH button quickly will not do anything.

It might not have been consciously done if the Lightbridge connection disconnected (meaning you lost video). Many pilots become disoriented and/or have no idea they are still in control of the aircraft when the video is no longer displaying in DJI GO.

That aircraft will be unusable since it does not have a camera/gimbal. I think you meant to purchase this one instead.

I am going to remove the gimble and camera off original one and place on replacement. The hard to understand customer service said the swap would be no problem. I guess we'll see. Hopefully not another problem for another day

I am going to remove the gimble and camera off original one and place on replacement. The hard to understand customer service said the swap would be no problem.
Ah. Yes, that's an easy swap. I was under the impression that you were going to fly your replacement Phantom while your current Phantom was being repaired. If you're not doing the swap until you get it back, then that's a solid plan.

Ah. Yes, that's an easy swap. I was under the impression that you were going to fly your replacement Phantom while your current Phantom was being repaired. If you're not doing the swap until you get it back, then that's a solid plan.

I can send the old one in the rma kit to dji and fly replacement during same time though correct? Send them bird with no camera and gimble?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20