NO SIGNAL at 12,000ft-*UPDATE 3* with windsurf antenna

Reaction score
Hi, I am John from Serres,Greece and this is my first post.
Yesterday, I decided to push my P3P to the limit.
The aircraft flew to 10,000ft with solid signal and after 2 "WEAK SIGNAL" warnings and at 12,000ft I got the "NO SIGNAL".
Aircraft auto-switched to RTH and about three minutes later connection re-established.So, it's good to know that these safety features are working as they should.
Everything was stock.Dashware in metric.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone and konidair
Per the P3P specs, the P3P will only fly 2.1 miles (11,088 feet) in CE mode. You've exceeded the specs, so all seems to be working as expected.

Not bad furthest I have gone is about 11,000 but I wasnt brave enough to keep flying until I lost signal. It was just starting to drop out with me so maybe I could have gone as far.
Awesome machines!!!

Hi, I am John Serres,Greece and this is my first post.
The aircraft flew to 10,000ft with solid signal and after 2 "WEAK SIGNAL" warnings and at 12,000ft I got the "NO SIGNAL".
Aircraft auto-switched to RTH and about three minutes later connection re-established.So, it's good to know that these safety features are working as they should.
Everything was stock.Dashware in metric.

Hi John, what FW version do you have on your P3P?

I am also satisfied with the distance given that there where trees between the aircraft and myself.Next week I will try with windsurfer antenna and post the results.

Last edited:
Hi, I am John Serres,Greece and this is my first post.

You are a brave man, the furthest I have ever dared going was 1650 meters (5000 feet), where I was starting to lose the video feed, chickened out and I returned back home. I would not want to lose the video feed completely as I have sometimes seen that dreaded "Compass Error - Change to ATTI mode" message in midflight, and I am not sure that RTH would work at all without the compass. And without auto RTH and without video feed at that distance, I would be very, VERY scared.

//Tom

You are a brave man, the furthest I have ever dared going was 1650 meters (5000 feet), where I was starting to lose the video feed, chickened out and I returned back home. I would not want to lose the video feed completely as I have sometimes seen that dreaded "Compass Error - Change to ATTI mode" message in midflight, and I am not sure that RTH would work at all without the compass. And without auto RTH and without video feed at that distance, I would be very, VERY scared.

//Tom
Brave or stupid, I don't know, but this is not a SYMA, we payed good money for these features and they should work....

Reactions: Mimoid
Couldn't wait till next week so I grabbed my new windsurfer-antenna and retried at the same spot.
Result: WOW! Perfect signal until 14,000ft when low battery auto-RTH initiated.Still had 38% battery left when landed.
Dashware in metric.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone
I thought that the Phantom analyzes its own flight and knows how much juice it needs left in the battery to return home safely?
Don't rely on that. The phantom can't read wind speed for example. You will get sense of how far you can push, but you need to do your homework as well, before your flights. For example you need to test wind speed in both your out and back directions, at the altitude you intend to fly.

Do some searches on that.

The furthest i went was 5.4km or what equates to 17716ft of course at this point fpv was super choppy and stuttering like crazy ( did it once to test max stock distance of the gla rc and ac battery) my house is located in an almost rural area.

The purpose of this test was to determine if i need the dbs and battery mods.

The only Mod: i was on the roof of my 2 story house, landing battery was 9% and the total round trip was 11.8km (38713ft)

Never did it again and concluded i dont need any mods.

Awesome machine

Couldn't wait till next week so I grabbed my new windsurfer-antenna and retried at the same spot.
Result: WOW! Perfect signal until 14,000ft when low battery auto-RTH initiated.Still had 38% battery left when landed.
Dashware in metric.

Well done. How did you create that video, with all the telemetry?

Latest 1.8.80
Interesting, I get weak or no signal at sometimes 3000 sometimes 4000'. Can't fly any further because keep getting black screen and RTH. All this time I was thinking had something to do with FW. But you prove I was wrong. I tried to fly 5 different locations and getting same message. I use wind surfer as well. Wonder what else would that be.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic