No satellites loading on Phantom 3 ( update)

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and my phantom 3 I just bought used When I load and connect with DJI go app no satellites show up or lock on I am using a android tablet and also an unlocked Blu phone with no sim card. My question is the app using the GPS in the drone to lock on or the tablet and phone GPS My understanding is it uses the tablet or phone for setting the home position. So i ordered the drone GPS module for the phantom 3 . Before I go and install the module or do anything do you think I am on the right track?

GPS is acquired from the AC itself and transmitted back to the RC and app. The tablet or phone GPS is used only for special functions. If you are not acquiring any satellites at all then it very well could be the GPS module in the AC.

When inside a house or building the drone usually cannot see satellite signal. Take it outside in a open area and try again. If It is indeed the GPS module it is a easy enough job to replace it. You will need a couple sizes torx tools and some patience getting the shell halves apart.

When inside a house or building the drone usually cannot see satellite signal. Take it outside in a open area and try again. If It is indeed the GPS module it is a easy enough job to replace it. You will need a couple sizes torx tools and some patience getting the shell halves apart.

I am new to this forum and my phantom 3 I just bought used When I load and connect with DJI go app no satellites show up or lock on I am using a android tablet and also an unlocked Blu phone with no sim card. My question is the app using the GPS in the drone to lock on or the tablet and phone GPS My understanding is it uses the tablet or phone for setting the home position. So i ordered the drone GPS module for the phantom 3 . Before I go and install the module or do anything do you think I am on the right track?
If I bought it used as you did and it had no GPS signal outdoors, I would first suspect that the GPS module had become unplugged or loose in some sort of crash by the previous owner. To me, that is more likely than a failed GPS module. Were you able to test it with the previous owner prior to purchasing? If you did test it before, it could be just a loose connection to the GPS module. Either way, I would almost certainly open the shell to check the connection to the module before ordering a new one. In your case with the new module already in transit, you could check the connection before removing the new module from it's packaging in case you were able to return the module.

Question first. Are you sure its not showing any GPS satellites?

Last edited:
Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
If I bought it used as you did and it had no GPS signal outdoors, I would first suspect that the GPS module had become unplugged or loose in some sort of crash by the previous owner. To me, that is more likely than a failed GPS module. Were you able to test it with the previous owner prior to purchasing? If you did test it before, it could be just a loose connection to the GPS module. Either way, I would almost certainly open the shell to check the connection to the module before ordering a new one. In your case with the new module already in transit, you could check the connection before removing the new module from it's packaging in case you were able to return the module.

Question first. Are you sure its not showing any GPS satellites? I ask because we have seen people, especially new owners, do a bad compass calibration and have their GPS disabled since the Phantom sees discrepant data.

Question first. Are you sure its not showing any GPS satellites? I ask because we have seen people, especially new owners, do a bad compass calibration and have their GPS disabled since the Phantom sees discrepant data.
Yes, he is right. Take your time and remove the top before the other one gets here. You will need to take off 4 screws per arm(wing). Two sizes screws. One is 2 1/2 mm. The other is 2 sizes larger( can't remember size right now). Check GPS plug. It is marked GPS. Also you can't totally remove the top of the drone because it is plugged into the bottom half with the GPS wire. I don't think blue is on the list for being compatible? I had a blue studio and it worked, but kept dropping signial.

Yes, he is right. Take your time and remove the top before the other one gets here. You will need to take off 4 screws per arm(wing). Two sizes screws. One is 2 1/2 mm. The other is 2 sizes larger( can't remember size right now). Check GPS plug. It is marked GPS. Also you can't totally remove the top of the drone because it is plugged into the bottom half with the GPS wire. I don't think blue is on the list for being compatible? I had a blue studio and it worked, but kept dropping signial.

blu studio is what I have and thanks for the body shell info been looking at u tube for taking top off drone.

blu studio is what I have and thanks for the body shell info been looking at u tube for taking top off drone.
Got new GPS module and installed it went outside and calibrated compass with success and still no satellites.Waited 5 or 10 minutes still nothing not sure where to go from here.

Just curious, have you ever started it up to see if everything else is working? You then check all the settings. You can do it without the props on. Then, maybe fly it by just hovering in front of you. I'm confident on how to fly in atti, so that is what I would do.

Awhile back one of my Phantoms was continually switching to ATTI mode. I replaced the GPS module and that didn't fix it. I sent it back and got a replacement.

Just curious, have you ever started it up to see if everything else is working? You then check all the settings. You can do it without the props on. Then, maybe fly it by just hovering in front of you. I'm confident on how to fly in atti, so that is what I would do.
Noticed I have not been able to power motors on either

Does the AC show as connected in DJI GO app? What about the status light on your controller?
Loaded older firmware today (1.05.07) and went to re calibrate compass but kept saying magnetic interference going to try a different area tonight.What's the chances of needing a new AC center board? Oh and the app says connected and the light on the controller goes to green soon after turning on and the small frequency light on the side of the A/C is solid green

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know the seller I got the drone from refunded me $180.00 so I purchased a center board for $130.00 for the drone and that fixed all my problems I got 10 satellites locked in before I even went outside and the motors came to life

Reactions: Newbieguy and Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4