No Registration Anytime Soon

Reaction score
This is my first post. I've been lurking and reading a lot, so here goes...

I have from a very reliable source that a contract has been let to a government contractor to develop a tracking system (database?) for the registering of hobby drones. Specific details on the contract size (in $) and what agency is involved are sketchy but I'll assume FAA. This company does work with all of the big agencies and is a 2nd tier company (not a big IT player like Lockheed, GD, or Boeing). At the moment, there are only two people on this contract and they've been tasked to come up with a prototype system by the end of December. Neither seems to know anything about drones or the issues involved with the whole affair, just to develop "something to show." Right now they've scratching their heads saying "WTF?" and have no idea how to proceed. I'd guess the probability of them delivering anything beyond the simplest of concepts by December is very low. No rush on making registration plans anytime soon guys.

147741-weird-al-seems-a-little-crazy-1ucJ.gif

From many of the posts I've read here, this response doesn't surprise me. This doesn't seem to be a very welcoming group but I thought I'd at least try to participate, particularly after learning something that might be of interest here.

Reactions: JKDSensei
From many of the posts I've read here, this response doesn't surprise me. This doesn't seem to be a very welcoming group but I thought I'd at least try to participate, particularly after learning something that might be of interest here.

Hi, first let me say welcome to the community. We are welcoming to new members, myself have only been registered for a week!

The US government may be pushing for 'tracking' of UAV's, but in practice it is almost impossible without a effective registry system in place wayyy before the sale of advanced smart multicopters.

I find it really hard to believe that they will be allowed to infringe on your basic rights of a private life in order to 'track' UAV's.

What is this apparent paranoia that is sweeping the US regarding R/C Multicopters/UAVs?

It seems like madness, hence the gif.

Reactions: nickyb
This is my first post. I've been lurking and reading a lot, so here goes...
Welcome to the forum Insider.
That's interesting info and the whole topic is going to be interesting to observe for some time.
They definitely have a few problems with the timetable.

Reactions: dirkclod and 750r
Thanks for sharing. Please update us if you learn anything new.

Reactions: dirkclod and 750r
Welcome to the forum .
The way the stumbled around all the questions they where asked doring the press conference what you said make a lot of sense .
Do you own a phantom ?

Reactions: dirkclod
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Insider. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

You can understand that many people will call you crazy for your post on this topic. Everybody wants to know what will shake out but honestly, no one knows. It is easy to see the Feds are crafting this as they learn about it and there is no clear path to go down yet. You could have good intel, but maybe not. We have all seen predictions that were 'guaranteed' to be true that never panned out.

Personally I believe everything & nothing. :D

Reactions: dirkclod
Of course they are. It makes for a great diversion and if they can make a little money on it thats just icing on the cake. :D

Reactions: JKDSensei
Well, the first sentence doesn't make sense - "tracking system for the registering of hobby drones". What is that supposed to be? Can you elaborate?
Seems more like a troll, at least until explained better.

Well, the first sentence doesn't make sense - "tracking system for the registering of hobby drones". What is that supposed to be? Can you elaborate?
I somehow picture a federal agency with screens monitoring little R/C Quads flying around...

Kinda like a mini fun version of air traffic control, where they can fry connections of drones heading towards areas they dont like...

Like a super death ray

unbenannt_by_tom_thomas-d8z93st.gif

Most likely a computer database with your name and drone serial number.

No, crazy isn't you. Crazy is the FAA thinking this can come together and be working in just over a month.
BTW, welcome to the group.
When Secretary Foxx held his announcement about the registration Task Force, he let it slip that the FAA had already been talking to stakeholders for some time.

The proposed registry is an illogical response to the public hysteria over something that's never happened. There is not one verifiable report of a collision between a small drone and a manned aircraft. Not one. When it happens, the aircraft crew is probably not going to be aware of it, and the drone pieces will be scattered over a square mile. Where's the blood and mayhem to justify the perception that small personal drones are a threat to public safety, let alone an emergency?

I am not opposed to ensuring that people fly responsibly, including taking responsibly if their drone causes a problem. But this rush to judgement through an emergency SFAR to register all drones and model aircraft is simply a hysterical solution to an imagined problem. But that's what bureaucracies do - make regulations to appear to be doing something.

I predict that as soon as the emergency rules are announced, there will likely be a lawsuit to block them on the grounds that there is no emergency justifying bypassing the Administrative Procedures Act. The FAA has the right under federal law to issue emergency Special Federal Aviation Regulations (SFAR) related to air safety. But an emergency has to exist first. Just because an rogue drone might cause an accident is not an emergency and smacks of "Minority Report". The FAA is going to make an emergency rule for something that has never happened? Where is the emergency?

Reactions: stargater07
............. I predict that as soon as the emergency rules are announced, there will likely be a lawsuit to block them on the grounds that there is no emergency justifying bypassing the Administrative Procedures Act. The FAA has the right under federal law to issue emergency Special Federal Aviation Regulations (SFAR) related to air safety. But an emergency has to exist first. Just because an rogue drone might cause an accident is not an emergency and smacks of "Minority Report". The FAA is going to make an emergency rule for something that has never happened? Where is the emergency?
Who will be bringing this suit? Serious question, as I'm hoping that everyone isn't relying on the other guy to do it. The bigger corporations, most likely?

The registration idea bothers me less than the restrictions on my being able to ask for compensation if my neighbor asks me to take some pictures of his house or farm. Or to sell nice aerial photos I have taken of scenery. If simple "registration" (name address, model/serial number) is all it takes for me to legally charge, I am all for it. However, being the govt. I am sure it will be much more complex.

The registration idea bothers me less than the restrictions on my being able to ask for compensation if my neighbor asks me to take some pictures of his house or farm. Or to sell nice aerial photos I have taken of scenery. If simple "registration" (name address, model/serial number) is all it takes for me to legally charge, I am all for it. However, being the govt. I am sure it will be much more complex.
Flight for compensation and the drone registry are two completely different issues. Flight for compensation is currently done with Section 333 (FMRA) exemptions, and sometime next year, Part 107 rules. Drones flying under either 333 or 107 will have to be registered as aircraft with Oklahoma City. The plan to register all model aircraft is, as I said, a knee-jerk response to public hysteria over something that hasn't happened just to appear to be doing something.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic