No Power-On Self Test, Motors Still Start

K

Kubelwagen

I have a used P2 that I just received today. The receiver link light was flashing so I paired the receiver. That light is now solid green and the transmitter works.

However, on power up the start-up melody will play but the lights flash green once quickly and go out. No lights at all after that. But the motors will still start. Couldn't find anything in the manual about no lights.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Best to plug it into the assist and see if you are getting errors there and what they are. Start by going though each are and testing all functions and doing all new calibrations. You can download the manual from DJI.com downloads and all the latest firmware upgrade too. The light flashing once green and going out is not normal. Further diagnostics is needed. I wouldn't fly till you have checked everything out and get the proper sequence of led's.

Best to plug it into the assist and see if you are getting errors there and what they are. Start by going though each are and testing all functions and doing all new calibrations. You can download the manual from DJI.com downloads and all the latest firmware upgrade too. The light flashing once green and going out is not normal. Further diagnostics is needed. I wouldn't fly till you have checked everything out and get the proper sequence of led's.

After doing more research last night I had decided that what you suggest is the only way to find out what's going on. Plus it's really the only smart thing to after purchasing a P2 with an unknown history.

I've downloaded the manuals for the P2 and H3-3D already and will be putting the assistant and other available relevant software on my laptop today. Once I see what's going on I'll post the results in case it can help someone else. Thanks again.

I should add that I think it's interesting you have 2 P2 V+'s and are a computer analyst because I have 2 P2's that I'm loading with FPV and higher-end video equipment (one for long range work) and I used to be a satellite, wireless and communications systems engineer, among other things. Many of my systems involved heavy computer integration so it seems we have a little bit in common.

To the dismay of my wife sometimes, in my hobbies I believe that if if one is good then several must be better. Doesn't work with wives, however, even though I live in Utah. :p At the beginning of summer I had 16 motorcycles and sold 8 of them this summer so I only have 8 left. Feel almost naked. Currently have 5 drones. Only want one more - to build a Tarot 680 Pro. We all need something to do, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget to download and install the Wondows driver first. Good luck !

Looks like I may have a bad main board. I'm guessing at this point but there is no communication through the USB and as mentioned before, there are no startup sequence lights. Just one quick green flash. But the motors will start. I'll take it apart and inspect everything but I think the writing is on the wall.

This is likely material for a new thread but can a Vision board be installed in the P2? I'm sure there's info on that out there. There are lots of those boards out there for around $50. Standard P2 boards seem to be more rare and costlier.

I should add that I know the assistant software and connections are fine because I linked up my other P2 and it worked fine.

Later...

And, of course, after opening it up I can see where the USB goes directly to the NAZA controller. So, new NAZA controller?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a little disappointing until I discovered there are a bunch of NAZA controllers on eBay that have supposedly been pulled from new drones and they're pretty reasonably priced. There are also some main boards available that come with the NAZA controller attached. Careful shopping can net both boards for Under $120 total.

Someone did a crappy soldering job replacing an ESC and motor so I think it's worth the extra $50 or so to replace the main board for peace of mind if nothing else. Too much heat can do nasty things to circuit boards and attached components.

This particular used P2 is loaded with an OSD mini, Immersion 600mw tx, H3-3D gimbal and even came with a Black Pearl screen. It was sourced fairly cheaply so it's worth repairing. Replacing the main board and controller will be a little fiddly but far simpler than other projects I've done so it should work out ok. I'm more nervous about taking the GoPro apart to install a higher quality Sunex or Peau lens.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj