No Phantom SSID in WIFI Scan.

Reaction score
Good morning all.
Located in this video http://youtu.be/ItUhaVCah18 at location 3:50 seconds it shows the cell phone device WiFi scan has 2 Phantom SSID numbers available. One which is the Phantom Quad itself and the other one which is the WiFi Extender.
My Quad does not transmit its own SSID. It never has. I lose connection with it above 280'.

These are the steps I have taken with the device so far...

I have connected the Controller to my PC and it didn't need a firmware update. I calibrated it.
I then connected the Phantom and rechecked the firmware which I updated the other day. I also calibrated the Remote via WiFi while the Phantom was connected to the pc.
I have the lower potentiometer turned to the clockwise position for the FCC setting.

I have turned on the RC, then the WiFi extender, then plugged the Phantom battery in and turned on the Phantom and the camera switch to WiFi. I waited a few minutes and saw the camera light was green and the WiFi extender connection light was blinking green. I did a compass calibration on the Phantom and then set up the WiFi with my Galaxy S4 connecting to the (only SSID visible) WiFi Extender and then opened the DJI Vision App and did the Binding with the camera.
All GPS lights were blinking slowly green. All ready to start.
I ran the Phantom and flew it to an altitude above 200'. As it approached between 250' and 280' the phone displayed the message "Connection lost!" with the phantom and the craft went to safe home mode.

This exact scenario happens when I fly the craft vertically away from my position as it reaches roughly 250'.

Just got off the phone with DJI Tech Rep. The guy was helpful. Told me to put my Verizon Galaxy S4 into Airplane mode as he believes the data...may, if left on... interfere with the WiFi extender.

Yesterday I turned all cell phones off and used the I-pad which is WiFi only and connecting to the ONLY SSID AVAILABLE (WiFi Extender) The craft flew as high as 450' before losing connection.
I came home and opened the Phantom and the Controller to visually see the antenna connections. All appear fine. Still no SSID from the Phantom though.

I intended on installing a much stronger antenna as to increase the distance and height to a possible +2000'.
I'm wondering if the new antenna will be able to work within the Phantom and transmit it's SSID.

Has anyone any suggestions or heard of the Phantom not showing it's own SSID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

There could e a couple of reasons why this is happening, lets start with the most basic.

Try re binding the camera. Here is what you need to do:

- With everything on click on the reset button on the extender for a few seconds then release it, the light should flaw repeatedly indicating reset has been completed

Now you need to re bind the camera.

Turn everything on and go to your app, then setting then Bind and scan the QR code on the side of the BOX your vision was packed in.

If everything was don correctly your phantom should be freshly paired up to your camera and extender.

Try and see if that works

Thank you for your reply.
I had done multiple resets of the Extender with the camera.
I have taken a photo of the QR code with another device so I can accomplish this reset in the field as well. They re-bind perfectly all the time.
The issue is that there is no SSID being transmitted from the Phantom.
On my cell phone or I-Pad in the WiFi settings scan shows ONLY the Extenders SSID.
There should be 2 SSID's for me to choose from.
The extender and the craft. The craft is not present.

340cams...

Ah, ok now I get you.

No in fact there should only be one SSID visible, either "Phantom_1xxxxxxx" or "Phantom_6xxxxxxx" - the SSID of the camera is a hidden one - to avoid people connecting directly to that and therefore not getting extended range.

When connected to the range extender correctly you should see around 700ft as a minimum on wifi range, and usually approaching 1000ft before losing FPV. You need to have the flat side of the range extender oriented towards the aircraft at all times, changing it in flight if necessary. If you are not getting that range then check that you have the range extender fully charged and that your phone is not set to drop wifi connections with no internet to look for an internet-enabled wifi.

That video is from 5 days after official release of the aircraft - I suspect they were either using a dealer pre-production demonstrator or very early firmware, hence why they have 2 SSIDs. If in doubt go with the official DJI user manual online rather than third party videos just in case: http://dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision/download

Alrighty...well, I have done everything you have mentioned in this last reply, numerous times.
I have also looked at so many different forms of information regarding the settup of this craft...including each and every page of the pdf file users manual.
I'm still baffled why it won't reach any further that 250- 300'
It's discouraging because I feel quite limited and may end up returning it.

You have clear line of sight and the TOP of the (fully charged - green LED showing) extender is pointing at the P2V when you lose signal?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

If you've eliminated everything else then it may be a faulty extender or camera unit. I would suggest contacting your dealer and arrange for replacement as you should definitely get more range than that. With everything electronic out of box failures do occur... The only other thing to try is to take it somewhere else and range test it just to eliminate WiFi interference in your local area.

I field tested the craft each time at the beach where there was nobody else around for miles...and open space for miles.
My intention for driving to the each was to have no interference and lots of open space.

I met another Phantom owner yesterday and will ask to switch our extenders and see if that solves the problem.

Hopefully this solves the problem...
I do intend on buying a much better transmitter will much longer range than 1000', but just want to ensure the craft works properly first.

Thanks....
I photo copied mine and have access to it on-line...or on a number of devices.

That's correct...or take a photo copy of QR code so you can have it available at anytime.

You are right...or a file find feature so you can browse your phone to the QR file on the sd card.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik