No more using DJI batteries for me

Reaction score
After having numerous low battery alarms going off on a pack that is fully charged I decided to rip it apart and see if I could connect a regular lipo to it and still get the phantom to think it's a DJI battery.I am happy to report that i was successful. I now run 2 4400 mah batteries on my phantom plus with no problems :D

Nice pic!

Here is a couple of pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 2,341
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,314
The batteries are tywrapped to the skids as high as possible , until I find a better way to fasten then to the phantom

Do you have pictures / diagram of the inside?
How do you unslolder the old Lipos without creating a short?
Do you discharge them first to 0%?

Does your new batteries plug into the red T ?

Can you explain the purpose of the white plug wire?

Green_Phantom said:
Probably the most disappointing thread ever.

I'm trying to drag out the party favors.....

flyNfrank said:
Does your new batteries plug into the red T ?

Can you explain the purpose of the white plug wire?

yes the 2 new batteries plug into the "T" , they run in parallel , the purpose of the white plug is that this connects to the battery's balance plug that way the board sees each cells voltage

Luap said:
Do you have pictures / diagram of the inside?
How do you unslolder the old Lipos without creating a short?
Do you discharge them first to 0%?

I didn't take any pics of the inside :evil: but I'll post a diagram on how to do this in the morning, to remove the old lipos I discharged them and then simply pulled them off the board one at a time , they come off very easy

That would be great if you'd post diagrams. :p
Any particular way you discharged the LiPos before taking them off?
Its my biggest concern in this mod - shorting them - so you just pulled them off? No unsoldering?

Ghostrunner007 said:
The batteries are tywrapped to the skids as high as possible , until I find a better way to fasten then to the phantom
This might give you ideas -
tandem_1024x1024.JPG

http://motorcitydroneco.com/products/in ... ion-vision

Great thread!!!! :mrgreen:

brorex said:
How much flight time are you getting with 8800 mah? I've been thinking of doing this same thing.

it won't be as good as you hope cos of the extra weight and it will make the bird respond differently too. the motors will be working a lot harder too.

Those are 2 packs each of 3s1P 2800mah pack.
So together its a 3s2p = 11.1v 5600 or about the same as one of DJIs.
Its approx. the same weight and approx. the same flight time.

They are placed at the landing skids because they are a very (too) tight fit in the phantoms battery compartment.

The interesting thing here is its way cheaper once you have that contraption built.
Fo example 2 of these packs cost in total USD 40:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=11915

So a no brainer for me.
And naturally you can experiment with higher capacity batteries - higher c ratings etc to increase flight time.

I'm just waiting for one of my packs to die and have the diagrams to do this mod :lol:

How does the battery "look" when hooked up to the "Assistant" software:

>Won't it stop working when (if?) it detects 300 cycles?

>What about voltage and percentage data?

>Low battery trip, etc?

Thanks !

I had the same idea ones i got a faulty pack.
I like also more info pls !!!
A step by step on how to do.
If it is a concern to short the original LIPO why don't you use a plier and cut the wires coming from the lipo pack and then desolder the remaining leads to the board ?
If you cut the wires uneven they will never have the chance to touch each other.

locoworks said:
brorex said:
How much flight time are you getting with 8800 mah? I've been thinking of doing this same thing.

it won't be as good as you hope cos of the extra weight and it will make the bird respond differently too. the motors will be working a lot harder too.

He stated in the OP running 2 4400 mah batteries. And for those thinking weights an issue the DJI batteries are way heavier than regular lipo's you can get really good light weight batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik