No longer flying just to fly

Reaction score
I've had my Vision+ for about 9 months now. Rebuilt it once. Any RC heli has a finite number of hours (and I don't know what it is for the Vision+, could be next week or next year) before a catastrophic failure. Whether it's a motor going bad or a prop breaking in flight, something will happen beyond our control. So I have filmed everything in the neighborhood that is worth filming. Just flying is getting me closer to the end, even though I have no idea when that is. So I have said to myself, I'm only going to fly if it is something worth filming that I have not filmed yet. Am I being too conservative?

I suppose we all can expect at some point to have to make repairs, not matter of if but when. All mechanical devices break down or need service. But I feel as long as the machine is performing as always and there are no alarming noise coming from motors or obvious signs of instability in flight I would keep flying her as always. Sure you could send her in for routine maintenance to a company like Dronefly.com who specialize in repairs and service and have them go through it with a fine tooth comb and have wearable components replaced as long as that doesn't exceed the cost of a new unit. If my Phantom Vision 2 + last me one year, I will be more than satisfied and I will sell her and upgrade to the same or next model. I understand your concerns and I congratulate on such success with your aircraft.

Hovtech said:
I've had my Vision+ for about 9 months now. Rebuilt it once. Any RC heli has a finite number of hours (and I don't know what it is for the Vision+, could be next week or next year) before a catastrophic failure. Whether it's a motor going bad or a prop breaking in flight, something will happen beyond our control. So I have filmed everything in the neighborhood that is worth filming. Just flying is getting me closer to the end, even though I have no idea when that is. So I have said to myself, I'm only going to fly if it is something worth filming that I have not filmed yet. Am I being too conservative?

I have had a similar experience in that I am no longer as interested in flying at the same locations over and over. But I never considered the reason to be wear and tear.

And how is it that you have had your + for 9 months lol? Considering they have only been available for 4 months!!!!

BlackTracer said:
Hovtech said:

I have had a similar experience in that I am no longer as interested in flying at the same locations over and over. But I never considered the reason to be wear and tear.

And how is it that you have had your + for 9 months lol? Considering they have only been available for 4 months!!!!

OMG! I'm so embarrassed. I'm 62 and my wife says I have no concept of time. I went back to B&H Photo and looked up my Phantom order. 4-27 it was ordered. So probably got it 5-1 let's say. So I've had it 2 1/2 months. Wow. Already rebuilt it once from a crash. New body and unbent the gimbal. Works 101%. Anyhow in 2 1/2 months I've video'd everything around here 5 times. Some of my neighbors (across the street) have told me their displeasure of flying in front of my house. Well you got to stay friendly with the neighbors. So I figure I'm going to spend time looking for new fly sites that are interesting. For instance, went up to the Fox River and got some good video last weekend. https://www.youtube.com/user/ghovany/videos

Naw, it's too easy!

Time for you to get some nice photo shots arround and over the White House, that will not be a easy shot, you can also try area 51 or other similar places if your bored. :p !

I'm amazed how in 2 1/2 months the attention in the media to drones and specifically Phantoms has increased 10 fold. Before DJI Phantoms only RC enthusiasts had drones.

Funny I was just thinking how I haven't flown my quad for over a week now and yea I've basically filmed everything worth filming around. Kinda depressing.

Hovtech said:
So I have said to myself, I'm only going to fly if it is something worth filming that I have not filmed yet. Am I being too conservative?

I'm practicing for a boat trip where I'll capture the boat cruising along at 20 knots. My niece has a country wedding in September. After Labor day, I'll head down to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront to see what I can get there. My wife's friend asked me to film the golf hole next to her house and her house. If that goes well I'll show the course manager my footage and maybe do every hole for them. I just donated an edited film to a museum for their web site after getting their permission to film it. I want to fly around the downtown Norfolk waterfront at some point. We're headed to Las Vegas in a couple of months and I'm tempted to bring it with us. I haven't begun to exhaust the possibilities. I want to hone my skills so I'm not nervous doing these things, so even boring outings in the cul-de-sac are opportunities to learn and get better.

I am a wedding cinematographer and film something new every weekend so I guess I should be appreciative of my profession :D

chrismbrock2009 said:
I am a wedding cinematographer and film something new every weekend so I guess I should be appreciative of my profession :D

I don't know, being around that many happy people would make me wanna kill myself. People in general make me wanna kill myself. You know when I'm really happy? When I'm alone flying my Phantom and the rest of humanity just pisses off for about an hour. :shock:

Dear bored people,
I decided that I'd pick a project to film every summer, and I've had great fun all summer filming one location for a little community project which has lead to another project this fall. Stop all your pissing and moaning and get out there in your community and do something positive. Hell, maybe put a positive face on quad use...there's an idea!

That you're bored says volumes about you, but nothing about quads or the hobby in general. This was always about you, and it always will be. The Phantom is a tool and an extension of you, it's what you do with it that matters.

Now get out there and make a difference, and stop making me want to kill myself. :shock:

Hovtech said:
OMG! I'm so embarrassed. I'm 62 and my wife says I have no concept of time

Lol, hear that from my Wife all the time. Get's worse the older we get too!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl