NO LIGHT - NO FLIGHT

Reaction score
Hi Guys - this is a follow-up to my "gimbal not levelling out" thread.
Got my bird back today but now have a new issue. I hope this is not something I am overlooking, but I'm at a loss. Out of the box I connected the bird to the Mac and performed an advanced calibration. I then linked my transmitter with the bird before taking it outside and performing a compass calibration. All good so far. Connected the wifi to the iPad ready for the first flight. Camera good, satellites good, power good, ready to go..... nope.... why are the red lights on the front of the bird not on - and why doesn't the throttle start the bird up......?
Can't believe it. Just back from repair and now this....... new video guys - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDqKj490F7g
Let me know what you think.... cheers.

You did do a CSC to trigger the engines to start? Not sure about this, did you try starting the engines when you aren't plugged into the computer? Not sure if it will start when plugged in as I've never tried.

@All replies so far..... battery at full power - don't know what CSC is - have indeed tried without the bird plugged into the Mac.

B4orce said:
@All replies so far..... battery at full power - don't know what CSC is - have indeed tried without the bird plugged into the Mac.

To make the engines start, you have to perform a CSC. Power on transmitter, power on Phantom, at the same time, push left stick all the way down & right, and right stick all the way down & left. Engines should start and front LEDs should illuminate red. Hold left throttle all the way down to kill power.

Note: Don't take off in the house! :shock:

@Dirty Bird - Props off but great advice...... thanks.... NOW - I am SOOOOOO glad it was a simple case of me overlooking something. Works a treat - I guess that's what happens when you've only had you're bird for a couple of weeks and then been without it for nearly a month. How silly do I feel right now.

THANK YOU - and please go easy on me..... I was so excited to get my bird back I forgot the simple things.

Fwd red lights don't come on until you do CSC (both sticks to lower center). At that point, the motors will start.
Many say to wait for 6 sats before taking off, I won't lift off until I see 7. Just my preference.
I'm sure someone will jump on here and belittle this guy for not reading the manual, not searching for a post that may or may not have been made 3 months ago and for putting his Phantom in NAZA mode.
B4orce, prepare yourself for the Manual Police closely followed by the NAZA Patrol!

B4orce said:
@Dirty Bird - Props off but great advice...... thanks.... NOW - I am SOOOOOO glad it was a simple case of me overlooking something. Works a treat - I guess that's what happens when you've only had you're bird for a couple of weeks and then been without it for nearly a month. How silly do I feel right now.

THANK YOU - and please go easy on me..... I was so excited to get my bird back I forgot the simple things.

Whew you were scaring me for a minute...lol! Glad it was something simple. Would suck to have gotten it back broken!!!

Dirty Bird said:
B4orce said:

To make the engines start, you have to perform a CSC. Power on transmitter, power on Phantom, at the same time, push left stick all the way down & right, and right stick all the way down & left. Engines should start and front LEDs should illuminate red. Hold left throttle all the way down to kill power.

Dirty Bird, I always look forward to your informative posts for those that are trying to learn and snark toward those intolerable pricks that have nothing better to do than bash everyone for every little thing that is not "PC" in their squinty eyes.
Carry on sir!

@Michigan_PI - Thanks for the support. I'm really not a simple lad that should never have bought this bird in the first place. I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to resolve a gimbal issue (no crash) that DJI finally repaired with no explanations as to what the issue was. This was a simple case of forgetting the basics due to excitement - and to be honest, a lack of faith in the bird itself due to the issues I've already had.

@Dirty Bird - Cheers again for the advice.

Dirty Bird said:
Why not ? It blows away all the dust.
Also its a nice airco when turning on idle. LMAO

I remember seeing a video a couple of months back where this poor chap had his Phantom powered on in the house. One of his batteries was making intermittent contact, the transmitter powered off, at which point the Phantom naturally decided, "Hey I lost control signal I'm outta here!" After the fact, the ensuing chaos as the Phantom went berserk indoors was comical. The poor guy wound up with stitches I believe and said he nearly lost a finger.

I just finished reading a thread where someone was belittled basically for not having the manual committed to memory. I've read the thing at least a half dozen times and don't really understand it. It is not really easy to comprehend.
Regarding Phantom Mode vs NAZA Mode, I really don't see what the big deal is... S1 functions almost identical (Make sure you have FS set for the fully down position) and S2, gives you 2 additional nifty modes of flight. I do agree that "manual" mode is best left to experienced pilots.
I just wish that it was possible to have another switch for manual and still be able to keep FS mode.
I'm an old school conventional RC nitro helicopter pilot and would really enjoy manual mode but I'm not willing to give up the FS switch for it. Not really fond of turning off a transmitter either.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this comment.

Dirty Bird said:
I remember seeing a video a couple of months back where this poor chap had his Phantom powered on in the house. One of his batteries was making intermittent contact, the transmitter powered off, at which point the Phantom naturally decided, "Hey I lost control signal I'm outta here!" After the fact, the ensuing chaos as the Phantom went berserk indoors was comical. The poor guy wound up with stitches I believe and said he nearly lost a finger.

That's funny, I had that happen on maybe my 5th flight (not indoors though). First time flying it in my driveway.
I turned on, waited for the 7th sat, hit CSC and immediately got LOSS OF CONTROL SIGNAL. I crapped my pants, and hollered "noooooo" as it shot up thinking.. ,that was a quick $1369 down the toilet' then it parked at 20m and hovered for a few seconds before it started coming back down and my transmitter powered back on again. After landing it, I found that a battery in the Tx had shifted and power cycled the Tx.
I immediately changed the Tx batteries (and my shorts) and all was well.

I have only 2 words for when folks purchase a quad and it doesnt work or if they crash it. Amazon Prime. no questions asked return and refund and or exchange policy. 2 day free delivery here in USA....If your bird doesnt work, you return and order a new one. You will pay shipping.

@ Michigan_PI - done that a couple of times (changed my shorts that is).... no crashes yet - probably just cursed myself so not happy bout that, but looking very forward to getting back in the air tomorrow (thanks to you guys).....
I did have the bird try to fly off on me one time as soon as I started the motors (ya know, when I knew how), grabbed is before it got too far, but not without a semi permanent memory - the scares did finally heal.... lol.

B4orce, you may want to spend the coin on a GPS locator. There are several threads going on them. I have a TAGG pet tracker which is 40g and the size of a wrist watch with an inch or so of band on each side (antenna) and it mounts VERY sexy on the belly of the bird right behind the camera (over the QR code and SN stickers). $99 well spent and it is a "passive" locator which means that it is not transmitting all the time (=no interference) only gives position when it is asked to.
Here's the thread with some photos I posted:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15262&p=144721#p144721
I have a theory that sometimes these things decide to Return To Home on their own and you know where home ultimately is.... China!!

@Michigan_PI - I like it... not the fact that my bird is going to end up in China, but the fact that at least I know where it is.... lol. Going to look into this for sure. I do have a sticker with my number on it stuck on the bird now - but I live in Ireland, and I know if the Leprechauns find it they won't give it back, so it would be nice to know where it fell out of the sky. An added bonus it that I may find a pot of gold too.... :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic