No information on Phantom 3 motor disassembly?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been looking online for infomation about taking apart the phantom 3 motors but I cannot find anything. Does anyone know of any information about taking apart specifically the phantom 3 motors? I have found videos of the phantom 2's which have a easier to work with design, but they are not that relatable to the phantom 3. I got off the clip holding on the motor, but for the life of me I cannot get the metal spacer off, its in a pretty difficult position to get under, and even then it wont move.

I might make a video too on how to take them apart once I get it to work.

Thanks

20150820_122524.jpg

Last edited:
You have lost your warranty, its not really a good idea, maybe for the future interesting to know but i will sell mine before the warranty fades away

So I got the clip and spacer removed and the motor inside and outside will still not move at all. (The spacer on one motor absolutely will not move and then I tried another motor and it came right off) Comparing to videos of the phantom 2, at this point I should be able to pull the motor apart, and it looks like it should be possible, but it will not move even with good leverage. Its almost as if DJI doesn't want it to be fixable and I will just have to buy a new motor... I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Its almost as if DJI doesn't want it to be fixable...

Just what are you fixing?

As you have seen, the only moving parts are the [sealed] bearings.

Reactions: rrmccabe
I have figured out how to disassemble to 2312. You have to use an arbor press and press the shaft out of the motor. After removing the clip and the bushing, press out the shaft from the bottom towards the top. Look at the motor, see the screw threads, look below them and you will see a separation line between the top of the bell housing and the threads. That is where the shaft will separate from. I will shoot a video and post it on youtube soon. You will be able to replace and or clean bearings in doing this. The motor is a little difficult to come apart but it will. You do not have to remove the shaft all the way, just until you are able to pull the two pieces apart.
DJI 2312.jpg

I have figured out how to disassemble to 2312. You have to use an arbor press and press the shaft out of the motor. After removing the clip and the bushing, press out the shaft from the bottom towards the top. Look at the motor, see the screw threads, look below them and you will see a separation line between the top of the bell housing and the threads. That is where the shaft will separate from. I will shoot a video and post it on youtube soon. You will be able to replace and or clean bearings in doing this. The motor is a little difficult to come apart but it will. You do not have to remove the shaft all the way, just until you are able to pull the two pieces apart.View attachment 31254

Very nice. Thanks, it helps when I decide to disassemble. Please put more photos up, it will help me do better job....

I have a youtube video uploading right now, internet slow and it's taking a while. As soon as it is up I'll link to it.

Why have I got a funny feeling that you had prop guards on, took them off and screwed everything back together with the prop guard screws and not the original ones you took out before you put prop guards on? Please say I'm wrong.....

Just had to give a guy the bad news that he needs to buy 4 new motors on a fb p3 page tonight because he did exactly what I said in my last post

It would be much quicker to just install a new motor so. The p3 isn't as maintainable as the p2. The p2 was so easy with so many parts replaceable. They have made the p3 in such a way that they don't want you messing with like the way it takes 20 mins to take the shell off and that the main board and escs are all one piece, all critical parts are now well soldered on and there are no spare power outlets anymore. Replacing the motors really is just the best option.

Here's the inside of mine right now. I've taken this thing apart into about 300 pieces and it's just not as easy for us to mess with as before
20150920_032053.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj