NO Ground Station on Generic Tablet (no GPS): Why Not?

Reaction score
Apparently, Ground Station will not work on a tablet without GPS.
I have tried several generic tablets, and no joy.

My question is: Why Not?

The bird has all the GPS data you need, and you can store maps locally on Android devices
when connected to Wi-Fi, so you will have the data out in the field.

Or am I missing something?

CapnBob said:
Apparently, Ground Station will not work on a tablet without GPS.
I have tried several generic tablets, and no joy.

My question is: Why Not?

The bird has all the GPS data you need, and you can store maps locally on Android devices
when connected to Wi-Fi, so you will have the data out in the field.

Or am I missing something?

I've never heard of this before. Is it giving you an error? What's happening that makes you say it's not working?

G.S. is enabled in settings, but you can swipe at it all day, and it won't go into the screen.
On my Nexus 4 with GPS, it works just dandy.

I've read a lot of good things about your app. Is it compatible with the new X1 / Channel 7 gimbal-tilt lever enabled Vision app? (1.0.54)

The swipe is quite finicky. Actually something I should change in my version. I guarantee that's probably the root cause of the problem. Try to swipe as close to the left bar as possible and slowly (or fast not sure which would be better) swipe.

Yes I just updated it today to the latest version 1.0.54.

I've tried swiping all possible ways. Nothing.

Are you sure GPS is not required? I have never seen it work on a non-gps tablet.

Works fine on my iPad with no GPS / cellular connection.

What tablet are you trying to use it on?

CapnBob said:
$40 Android Generic. "VenStar 700". P.O S. Don't know what the difference may be, though.

Is Google Maps actually installed on the device? I'm wondering if that's the issue because I "think" it requires it installed as a framework. I know a lot of the off brand Chinese tablets don't even come with the Google Play Store installed.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I picked it up. It has Maps, Play, pretty much the works. Just no GPS, Compass, or G sensor.

Nope. I simply cannot get it into G.S. in any way on 2 different tablets. When I swipe, and only sometimes, it goes back to the intro screen where where you can choose settings, camera, etc.

Bob, swipe exactly over the number indicating the SD space remaining. This works consistently for me.

As for non-GPS, it will work but keep in mind that you won't be able to use dynamic home point.

CapnBob said:
Nope. I simply cannot get it into G.S. in any way on 2 different tablets. When I swipe, and only sometimes, it goes back to the intro screen where where you can choose settings, camera, etc.

That actually means the app crashed...so there is something going on with the tablet itself not being able to load the maps.

I've actually got the same problem with a Nextbook NX008HI8G.

I can reliably swipe and have it just get back to the home screen. This only happens when Ground Station is enabled in the settings. I can swipe from anywhere in the middle of the screen; the important thing seems to be that I swipe off the left edge of the screen.

I've updated and run Google Maps prior to running the DJI app. The first time I tried this, I tried to run Maps, but it wouldn't start up because wifi was connected to the Phantom. Once I switched the wifi back to the internet, I could run Maps, then run the DJI app, then switch the wifi from there (by clicking on the green button next to the SSID name, which takes you to the wifi settings, switching the network, then clicking the back button). However, swiping still just gets me back to the home screen.

Does GS require a certain version of Android? This tablet is only at 4.1.1.

Maybe there are running to many apps on the background of your tablet preventing ruuning the gs app and maps on top of that; shortnees of werking memory or cash memory. Just a thought.
Regards FA

I don't think so. I powered up the tablet and ran only Maps, Settings, and the DJI App. It has 1GB of RAM.

DJI says on Play store that it supports Android 4.0 and up.

Any news here ? I have Vivax tablet with 4.4.2 and it also crashes when I swipe to the Ground Station part ? It has no GPS but it still should work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20