No GPS

Reaction score
Just been trying to fly again. Checked lights on Phantom again, It goes Green, Red ,Red, Red , Green Red Red Red and on and on and on Help Please

He wouldn't get green unless S1 was in the up position.

I believe if you were in a no-fly zone you wouldn't get a green, either.

Have you downloaded an app for your phone like "GPS Test" to see how many satellites are visible at your location? Launch that GPS app and hold your phone right on top of the Phantom and see what it tells you. You could just have a lot of obstruction.

OR, if the GPS app says there are more than 6 sats clearly visible, your Phantom's GPS unit could have become unplugged or been damaged. You didn't mention anything else about circumstances before this; any crashes? When's the last time you had a good lock? When was the last time you flew in this same location successfully? Your calibrations all go okay?

How long are you giving it after you power it on to lock on to satellites? It will usually take a few minutes to get rid of all the red flashes and see only green ones. And are you checking the LED status while you're inside or out where you fly?

OI Photography said:
How long are you giving it after you power it on to lock on to satellites? It will usually take a few minutes to get rid of all the red flashes and see only green ones. And are you checking the LED status while you're inside or out where you fly?
I have the Phantom 1 1.1.1. First battery of the day may take 45 to 60 seconds to get second set of quick green flashes. Second battery and after take about 20 seconds or so. I don't think it should take 3 minutes but I sure weather, view of sky etc will play a part.

Monte55 said:
OI Photography said:
I have the Phantom 1 1.1.1. First battery of the day may take 45 to 60 seconds to get second set of quick green flashes. Second battery and after take about 20 seconds or so. I don't think it should take 3 minutes but I sure weather, view of sky etc will play a part.

Yup I usually get the second set of green flashes in about that same time frame on my 1.2...but sometimes it can take at least another full minute to get from the 6th to the 7th locked sat. This is from my backyard though where 40% or so of the sky is blocked when at ground level.

My findings are in my front yard with a clear sky or at a park close to me. I live on a three acre lot with trees but I do it in an open spot. I have thought that cloudy skies would slow down things but sometimes it seems to make no difference. I start my timer when I first power up and I have a good idea what to expect. A couple of times I did not get the second set of quick green flashes so I disconnect and power up again.

Thanks for your comments It did crash on the last flieght It just cut out and crashed from about 25 30 ft. Have not flown since. Have it all in bits at the moment I have ordered 2 new batteries Every thing works, camara It starts up and would fly. But no satalites I cannot see any wires off any where.

I am taking off from the same place each time . You can wait an hour it still flashes Green Red Red Red ,,,, Green Red Red Red and so on

Has anyone got a picture of the board For Phantom 2 I have pulled several plugs out and have fotgot were they come from. thanks

masterofdisaster said:
Has anyone got a picture of the board For Phantom 2 I have pulled several plugs out and have fotgot were they come from. thanks

You sure are a masterofdisaster!! :)

jimandsue60 said:
You sure are a masterofdisaster!! :)

Hehehe. :D

Does this help? It's a P2V... so your mileage may vary (I'm not exactly sure of the differences, if any).
Of course, the GPS puck is disconnected (in order to open the shell fully)... but it goes on the big black header on the left labeled *ahem* "GPS" ;)

Attachments

• 20140711_090319-small.jpg
    20140711_090319-small.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 197
I always wondered why people not sure of what they're doing just start yanking wires or connectors. I'm pretty good at this stuff but I'll still take pics or video or at least make a drawing. Everyone has pen and paper and a camera phone. I have been in the HVAC business since 1971. Started in domestic appliances like refrigerators, freezers, window air conditioners etc. I have trained many newbies in the years. Even the ones that just got out of a trade school and OMG. Their approach to finding the problem just amazes me. They want to bang on controls, flip switches, tear things apart before they even have an idea what they are looking for. First...realize what the product should be doing...then determine what it is not doing correctly and what could cause that. There is a method to approach these problems. I could write a book on the stupid things techs do .

I know, Monte. But I have to admit... back when I started many years ago... I was pretty reckless and always felt like I "would just remember where everything went"... "can't be that hard, right?" Took me a couple of instances of getting into the same situation as MasterOfDisaster to finally get it through my head. Now I take pictures of everything before I begin (which is, of course, now 100x easier that we have digital cameras!), take notes and sketches, and always segregate all the removed screws into separate containers per type and length.

He'll learn ;)

I hear ya. Like if I want to disassemble something that has small screws....I'll lay out a towel to protect the product and catch any tiny screws I may drop. If their stainless I lay out some tape to hold the screws....otherwise I'll use a magnet to keep them together. I'm sure many strip the hex screws because they are most likely metric and they are using SAE hex wrenches . DUH. If your hex wrench has rounded corners, grind it down some to get a good hex profile. Stop buying 100 piece hex set for $2.00. They are crap. I see people use a screwdriver for a chisel and a chisel for a screwdriver. I think you catch my drift. I do realize that many screws etc from China are very poor quality. It doesn't take a cheater bar on a hex wrench to remove a screw from a Phantom. If the hex fit is not good and you have a tight one, you will most likely strip it. Guess that's what air chisels are made for. Or a plasma cutter.

OI Photography said:
When I was 10, my dad told me, "There's a right tool for every job. Use it."

Smart man, your dad. :)

I've seen too many Phantom owners just using what's in their toolbox to operate on their bird. Particularly those tiny Phillips screws at the tips of the motor arms. "Oh, I don't have a driver that small, so I'm just going to use what I have". Really? You're going to forego going out and buying the right sized screwdriver for $4.00, in favor of stripping the screw in a $1,200 machine?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20