No GPS control on Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hi, I have the first generation Phantom and loved it so much, I decided to purchase the Phantom 2, because of the built in gimbal.
When I first flew it, it worked fine with the green and red LEDs then the all green LED saying I'm hooked up with enough satellites.
Recently all I'm getting is the yellow lights, which says I'm in "att" mode. I tried the advanced imu calibration as well as the compass calibration (many times), but the same thing happens.
I observe on the assistant software, for the upper right toggle switch, there are three position,s all marked "normal flight" with an option on the last one for failsafe. I thought that the first position would be marked GPS similar to the assistant software for the first generation phantom.
Could someone please tell me why I'm not getting the green lights?
Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Lroar said:
Hi, I have the first generation Phantom and loved it so much, I decided to purchase the Phantom 2, because of the built in gimbal.
When I first flew it, it worked fine with the green and red LEDs then the all green LED saying I'm hooked up with enough satellites.
Recently all I'm getting is the yellow lights, which says I'm in "att" mode. I tried the advanced imu calibration as well as the compass calibration (many times), but the same thing happens.
I observe on the assistant software, for the upper right toggle switch, there are three position,s all marked "normal flight" with an option on the last one for failsafe. I thought that the first position would be marked GPS similar to the assistant software for the first generation phantom.
Could someone please tell me why I'm not getting the green lights?
Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

If all you are getting is flashing yellow lights its usually telling you that the phantom is in RTH mode or the transmitter is turned off. Is the right hand switch in the up position? As for it saying normal flight in the assistant this is normal when you are set to phantom mode and not Naza mode, in phantom mode "normal flight" means GPS mode.

Mr.P
I've calibrated so many times each in a different location. What's strange, is that when I first got the Phantom2 and flew it, all was well. I got the recommended green light before taking off. Now for no apparent reason if stays in att mode weather the toggle switch is up or the middle. In other words I'm getting the yellow flashing lights and when I try to fly, it wont hover on it's own, I have to manually control it. No GPS control.
Thanks for the help.

Madwak,
What is RTH mode?
I'm not familiar with the term.
I didn't know there's a Naza mode. I believe, based on what you said, that I'm in Phantom mode, because that's what I'm getting on the assistant "normal & normal & normal/failsafe".
You made me feel there's hope yet when you said that the first "normal" equals "GPS mode".
I'm one step closer, however the aircraft is blinking yellow in either of the two positions, when it should be blinking green in the upper position. Trying to fly it in that position is a pain, since I'm using a camera.
Could it be the GPS module in the aircraft gone bad? Is this prevalent. I've hardly flown the thing and never crashed either.
I really hope you could help me solve this problem. Evidently you are more experienced than me.
Thanks for the help.

Sounds like your NAZA isn't getting readings from your GPS and/or compass. Check the compass connection on the leg first, then you may have to open the shell to see if the cable from the GPS board in the lid is still connected to its port on the mainboard.

OI Photography,
I've just taken your advice. When I took off the shell, everything was OK, but I removed the GPS connection and sprayed it with some electronic contact cleaner, but it's the same when I tried it out. I even recalibrated (advanced calibration). I'm frustrated.
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

No problem! I'd say the next thing to do would be to calibrate your controller in the RC Assistant software, it's possible the switch isn't registering the proper position to initiate GPS mode.

If that doesn't resolve it, then remove the GPS module from inside the lid and inspect both sides for any visible issues.

I've got it, I've got it. I want to thank everyone for their input.
I'm not very versed on some of the terms or I would have been flying before now.
Madwak gave me a clue, but because of my ignorance, I didn't pick up on it and that's the word "Naza".
I never knew about the existence of that choice on the assistant software. I must have clicked on it accidentally or something.
However when I switched to "Naza" it solved the ptoblem. I don't understand why, because when I attempted to make the change a ton load of warnings came up.
Anyway, I now have the GPS---Atti-----failsafe showing on the assistant and I've got back the green leds to show I'm in GPS mode.
Again thank you guys.
I appreciate it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20