No go drone zone ?

Reaction score
I have read that birds of prey can be deadly on drones so I keep an eye out for them .We have a large eagles nest in a tree on the west of our place which I don't fly near. So I was surprised to see 10 reasonably big hawks show up when I was burning off some wheat stubble .They were hunting grasshoppers I wonder if they would hunt my P3 ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes they will if it is nesting/breeding season. Most birds of prey will protect their territory during this time.... after nesting season, not so much. There are many videos on YouTube documenting this. My brother was harassed by a red tail hawk one time.

I have also had them not pay any attention but the last time, one circled for a second when I was about 150' up and I just took it straight up and filmed him until he flew out of sight. This was a few weeks ago and so a few weeks before the mating season. I've seen baby hawks learning to fly and watched them dive bombing other birds for practice and smashing into a pole or the ground on accident while in pursuit. They will attack anything that moves while young, so trying to film them with a UAV would be dangerous for both.

I've had small birds chase my drones.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Had some medium size birds, unknown kind fly around with my P4 once, I was worried so I tried to lose them but they just kept flying with it, didn't attempt to touch it and I ended up landing to get away from them

Apart from the the worry of them knocking my P3 out of the sky they are great to watch real masters of flight .
We get a variety of birds of prey from pairs of small white kites that you see on windy days just hovering and stretching at each other to to the four huge wedge-tails(adults and offspring I think) nesting on our western boundary ( a serious nest about 1.7m across).When you ride past one these sitting on a fence post you get that uncomfortable feeling hes sizing you up for prey.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31