No FlyZone / Restricted Space - Help Me Understand

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a p3p on dji go 2.4.3 and firmware 1.604. I am thinking of getting a p4, but right now when I fly in the orange zones (authorization zone?) on the map the drone doesn't ask me for a phone # or credit card.

If I got a p4 or even if I upgraded my p3p's firmware/dji go, I assume I would have to apply for a waiver with the dji go app and verify my identity every time I flew in a orange space?. Also once I do that I can only fly in the space for 72 hours before having to re-apply for a waiver?.

Attachments

• nofly.jpg
    nofly.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 434
Phone number and credit card? What the world are you talking about

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

drone50, i thought to fly in the orange zone you need to unlock it with a credit card # or phone to verify your identity?

Never heard of that and it's not in the manual. Where did you hear of such a thing? Also, what app, etc., are you using to determine the zones?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have a p3p on dji go 2.4.3 and firmware 1.604. I am thinking of getting a p4, but right now when I fly in the orange zones (authorization zone?) on the map the drone doesn't ask me for a phone # or credit card.

If I got a p4 or even if I upgraded my p3p's firmware/dji go, I assume I would have to apply for a waiver with the dji go app and verify my identity every time I flew in a orange space?. Also once I do that I can only fly in the space for 72 hours before having to re-apply for a waiver?.

Currently when you enter one of those orange areas you should get a warning and your flight altitude is limited (I think to 300 or 400'). You cannot fly in a red zone.

With DJI's new GEO system you can "unlock" those orange areas as you mention. This will allow you to fly in those areas with no restrictions. You will not be able to fly in the red area at all.

At the least you do need to have an Internet connection and DJI account with at least a phone number. As you mentioned, you can then unlock those orange areas for 3 days.

This is simply the way it's going to be. If you never upgrade your P3 firmware, you will only have the old restrictions. If you buy a new P4 it will have the new firmware.

Also, there is no guarantee that DJI won't make GEO mandatory. Given the nature of this addition they may very well make it mandatory. There are a lot of benefits to the flyer in the new GEO system. The con is that you simply need to unlock those areas in advance.

There is no cost associated with the GEO system. To utilize it, you have to sign up for it on the DJI website, and they require a credit card or a phone number to verify your identity when signing up. That is all that info is used for, at the time of signup.
The GEO system is actually an improvement, because today the No Fly Zones around airports are fixed and can't be turned off.
With the new GEO system, you can self-verify in advance that you have the proper authority/clearance to fly in those areas and your aircraft will be unlocked.
Wait, what?!?
Are we entering an era where the dreaded P2P/IAP (pay to play/in app purchases) model now abhorrently accepted and utilized by most gaming and app developers is being adopted by multi-rotor manufacturers?
Is this actually a thing? I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the OP or the above poster, but I sure hope I am!

RocketBrew, is the Geo system then a optional thing we as a pilot can sign up for?. Or starting with firmware xyz or app version xyz they have embedded it on and it's not a option?.

That's my main question, I want to have control and have a choice.

Tscope, currently I don't get any notifications when flying, but I do keep it below 200ft in those zones.

You do not have to participate, but GEO will become part of future firmware.

If you do not participate by signing up in the GEO program, you will continue to be restricted 5 miles from airports, etc. the same as you are today, and without the ability to unlock those NFZ's.

GEO doesn't add restrictions, it provides a mechanism to self-unlock NFZ's when appropriate.

Thanks rocketbrew. So to confirm if I bought a new p4 I can fly it as am with my old p3p in the same orange zone's shown in the map (see first post) without any authorization?.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic