No flyzone on RTH path

Reaction score
If I take off and go around the edge of No Fly zone and RTH trigger(manually or signal lost). Will my Phantom go around the No fly zone or will go pass the No fly zone? Sorry for dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If I take off and go around the edge of No Fly zone and RTH trigger(manually or signal lost). Will my Phantom go around the No fly zone or will go pass the No fly zone? Sorry for dumb question.

It will stop flying and hover where the NFZ starts, eventually landing once your critical battery kicks in. It flies a straight path home on RTH.

It will stop flying and hover where the NFZ starts, eventually landing once your critical battery kicks in. It flies a straight path home on RTH.
This is true. But if it is in the restricted area of the nfz. Such as within 3 miles of the 5mile restriction or within 1.5 of the small airport It will land automatically. This is a touchy thing. I also love within 5 miles of a small airport. It flies fine within the zone but I'm over 3 miles from runway.

Suddenly when I read this post I now understand DJI 's requiring a GS mission to be pre flown.

nothing like a wall in the sky you didn't know about preflight......

I got the previous reasons , but none of them were that big a deal.
Since DJI had an idea of where the NFZ geofence was going they may have done GS the way they did for this reason
easier to never give a feature than remove /hinder it later.

just an thought I had!

Last edited:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

If you check the manual ( :eek: you mean you didn't check it!) you will find the answer to your question. You really should read it all and understand the operation of your aircraft prior to flying it. If you were to consult the manual you would see the text and these pictures. As you can see if the NFZ is an airport it will react differently if it is a non-airport NFZ.

Manual - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/pha...antom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf

Know Before You Fly

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 9.58.05 AM☀️.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-26 at 9.54.13 AM☀️.png

If you check the manual ( :eek: you mean you didn't check it!) you will find the answer to your question. You really should read it all and understand the operation of your aircraft prior to flying it. If you were to consult the manual you would see the text and these pictures. As you can see if the NFZ is an airport it will react differently if it is a non-airport NFZ.

the manual is really not that easy to digest for the average user, and for the advanced user the manual significantly lacks systems descriptions. The phraseology and terms used to describe systems are not friendly for the human brain to adapt and comprehend.

The phraseology and terms used to describe systems are not friendly for the human brain to adapt and comprehend.

No.

It simply means learning new things, words, terms, etc.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
It simply means learning new things, words, terms, etc.

I guess that to most "new" drone fliers everything is "new" so it's not that big a deal. But the choice of wording, by DJI, is not THAT great - in my opinion.

the manual is really not that easy to digest for the average user, and for the advanced user the manual significantly lacks systems descriptions. The phraseology and terms used to describe systems are not friendly for the human brain to adapt and comprehend.
While it may take some time to digest it all, it is an aircraft you will be operating in the same airspace as manned aircraft. With that comes the responsibility to learn how the aircraft operates so you have the knowledge & control of your aircraft at all times. While some see these as toys they are also a real aircraft flying in the same air shared by manned flight. Please know and understand they way it all works. Learning to fly in ATTI mode is one of the best things you can do as a UAV pilot. Don't rely on the quad to do all the work as sometimes systems fail. It is then where your knowledge of the craft is required for a safe conclusion.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I guess that to most "new" drone fliers everything is "new" so it's not that big a deal. But the choice of wording, by DJI, is not THAT great - in my opinion.
At least DJI provides a pretty comprehensive manual, the last $300+ UAV racer I bought came with pictures of the craft & a very brief description of what was included in the box. No operation instructions at all! :eek:

@LuvMyTJ agreed, which makes it even more important that these "manuals" are approachable and are using logical terminology, and DJI's is just not all that great at doing that! (could be worse, as per u'r own example of the picture one!) ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4