No flying today or get shot down.

Reaction score
No flying today for me as "The Lancaster Bomber" did a low pass over my usual flying area.
This is of course one of only 2 airworthy Lancasters, and the only one in the UK, the other is in Canada.

Huge crowds out to greet her, and hear those 4 Merlins making their music. Fantastic sight.

Attachments

• DSC02261.JPG
    DSC02261.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 731
  • DSC02258.JPG
    DSC02258.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 705
A WW2 RaDIAL eNGINE.jpg
WOW.....One of my Favorite U.K planes of WW 2........Thanks for the pictures....Them radial engines sounds are beautiful also !

Last edited:
WOW.....One of my Favorite U.K planes of WW 2........Thanks for the pictures....Them radial engines sounds are beautiful.
Yes beautiful sound. The engines were also made under Licence in the US as well, and of course powered the Spitfire.
The Lancasters were the star of the Dam Busters film.
We have regular steam gathering country shows here, and a static Merlin engine is often fired up, a large crowd just stands and listens to the roar in total respect for the engineers who produced them, close up they are deafening.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I once stood in the prop wash of a B-17 at idle. The power and sound of those old war planes is awesome. I’ve never seen a Lancaster but if one is ever close I’ll be there!.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

I love Round engines, well, the sound of them. My favorite British aircraft though is the Spitfire, not the fastest but it is a maneuvering machine.

I though they were 12-cylinder RR engines, same as the P-51....
The P-51 had a 12 Cylinder Rolls Royce motor, Radial motors were normally found only in bombers, cargo planes and the like. Straight 12 engines were normally reserved for fighters, like the Spitfire and P51.

The P-51 had a 12 Cylinder Rolls Royce motor, Radial motors were normally found only in bombers, cargo planes and the like. Straight 12 engines were normally reserved for fighters, like the Spitfire and P51.
Originally named the Merlin it was produced by rolls Royce and other manufacturers, it was a V configuration though. I don’t think anyone made a straight 12. Line boring the crankshaft main bearings would take some serious tooling.

Correct. Although I think the Thunderbolt (P-47?) had a radial. Anyway, if you look at the engines on a Lancaster, it looks like four P-51 noses.

This is of course one of only 2 airworthy Lancasters, and the only one in the UK, the other is in Canada.
I saw the one in Canada before. Amazing aircraft indeed.
jDnCiQueTpd7vkhn9

The bombers had poor defensive armament and so flew only at night and let the American B-24 bombers do the real heavy lifting. Similar issue with the Spitfire when matched against the German Bf 109 fighter planes. Fortunately the Germans had committed the vast majority of their military might against the Soviets and so the allies could dither in Africa and Italy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik