No flying permited signs, Legal?

Reaction score
10169169_951964721558682_3900801248269788472_n.jpg
Aside from national parks, are these legal to abie by? If someone posts this on a public place where the obious (airport. People, private property)isnt affected do you have listen to them? Can someone out right say you cant fly because its our personal policy ...

Am curious of peoples experiance. Ive seen a few videos of things like these happening where a guy is flying resposably in a park and he gets told he can because of personal policy.
Has this ever happened to anyone?

View attachment 41319 Aside from national parks, are these legal to abie by? If someone posts this on a public place where the obious (airport. People, private property)isnt affected do you have listen to them? Can someone out right say you cant fly because its our personal policy ...
is this in the usa?

Posted by the regional park district, likely a local bylaw and so of course would be enforceable, subject to fines etc.

The answer is probably yes. To add insult to injury please note THIS from our "Friends" with the FAA.

As an avid kiter and kiteboarder I have also felt the sting of small public parks and such too. There was once a thriving business on the point of Stone Harbor NJ. Lot's of kiting, kiteboarding, landboarding etc. Then the birders got the area shut down for the Piping Plovers nesting. So in one easy shot, an entire business and fun taken away. I have not returned to Stone Harbor to vacation since. The once great kite shop became not much more than a toy store of disposable junk. We vacation in a friendlier area now. Not that the town of Stone Harbor is suffering, still, they aren't getting my money and I am clear to recommend other places.

At one of the local parks in Tampa I recently had a ranger ask that I takeoff and land over on one side and asked I stay away from the crowds. All good sense and then he asked if I could show him how the Phantom works and such as he was looking to get one for the park to take pictures. So it's not all bad.

Unfortunately the mainly left media has done a great job of convincing Americans that RC aircraft are the tools of terrorists.
So I would suspect the number of places you can comfortably fly an RC aircraft with no worries will shrink considerably over the next few years.

It's already happening is it not?

The FAA even encourages the downloading of it's taxpayer supplied (you & me) "NO Drone Zone" signs. (see the link posted by FormStone in post number 5). Can you blame them? Look at the carnage drones inflicted on society last year and the number of aircraft brought down by drones. The stories were everywhere.
By the end of 2016 I expect a large number of cities and city and state parks to embrace these restrictions. Hey, people need something to "lynch". Drones it is.

Course, it doesn't help that people are STILL posting their videos and bragging online of flying their drones to the Stratosphere and miles and miles and miles away. Thanks guys.

I think the trend will continue and even quicken. I expect NewYork city and Miami Florida to pass no drone ordinances very soon.
Maybe big corporate money has to narrow down where we can fly to nearly nowhere so that by the time the likes of Amazon hit the skies with their drone fleet they won't have to worry about our annoying hobby? (lol. tinfoil theory)

Seems all those who embraced the registration and jumped on the "bad drones" bandwagon only shot themselves in the foot. Most will casually and conveniently ignore most of these restrictions until a few high profile cases of prosecutions come down the pike. Then everyone who has a drone will sober up.

From all I can find, the predicted massive holiday sales of millions of new drones never materialized. Hmmm...I wonder why?

This has been the Thursday Morning edition of the JKD "Drone, Doom and Gloom Report".
Now go fly and have fun ! (seriously, while you still can)
:p

Last edited:
This is why we can't have nice things....

Any hobby or activity that goes above a certain, variable, threshold is gonna get whacked. As has been noted, skateboards are probably the poster child for this. One or two skateboards on a sidewalk controlled by someone with a modicum of polite behavior and common sense - no problem. Ten skateboards propelled by testosterone, caffeine (and bog knows what else) flying down a crowded sidewalk in a park on a Sunday afternoon - not so much.

And so it goes. As the population increases and as truly open areas decrease and competition for those 'open' areas increases, you are going to see more regulation and enforcement. Unfortunately for UAVs this comes at a time of generalized paranoia and stupidity and a 24 hour news cycle that has to have something, anything, to get their panties in a bunch about.

I'm glad I live in rural Alaska. Come up here and fly. Just mind the rain, wind, snow, bears and mosquitos. Some of of which seem to be the size of a Hubsan X4 and twice as mean.

Reactions: JKDSensei
From all I can find, the predicted massive holiday sales of millions of new drones never materialized. Hmmm...I wonder why?
:p

To sort of hijack the post, this does seem to be true. I think it was in part the bad press that UAVs in general got, but the worse press that DJI got. I've had several people (in my small town) come up to me and mention that they were going to get a Phantom, but were put off by reports that they were too complicated and kept crashing. Not going to sell millions of thousand dollar toys to average people. It's a rare sort of fool that will spend hours pouring over poorly written instructions and confusing forum posts just to get annoying scary warnings off their screen.

The Phantoms, while in one sense pretty amazing tech for $1000 are really pretty crappy consumer products. Having to know what a .bin file is? Really? It's not 1996 anymore.....

/rant off for now. Actually, I'm kinda glad it fizzled. Maybe DJI can spend some time improving the product and legislators can go off an hassle somebody else for the next half hour.

Reactions: JKDSensei
View attachment 41319 Aside from national parks, are these legal to abie by? If someone posts this on a public place where the obious (airport. People, private property)isnt affected do you have listen to them? Can someone out right say you cant fly because its our personal policy ...

Yes, they can prohibit the operation of whatever they want on their property...i.e. standing on their property with your remote and controlling it from there. What they can't legally do is prohibit you from flying over if you're operating it from somewhere else.

Yes, they can prohibit the operation of whatever they want on their property...i.e. standing on their property with your remote and controlling it from there. What they can't legally do is prohibit you from flying over if you're operating it from somewhere else.

Well, this kinda reminds me of the White House lately.....legally The executive branch can't do this or that.....but with the stroke of a pen and a phone call VOILA!! Done!
....and if noone contests the matter it seems to be a done deal :)

So maybe they will prohibit you from even flying over....fine you etc...and without legal challenge.....maybe that'll be how it goes?
Laws seem to be nothing more than a political tool anymore.

Well, this kinda reminds me of the White House lately.....legally The executive branch can't do this or that.....but with the stroke of a pen and a phone call VOILA!! Done!
....and if noone contests the matter it seems to be a done deal :)

So maybe they will prohibit you from even flying over....fine you etc...and without legal challenge.....maybe that'll be how it goes?
Laws seem to be nothing more than a political tool anymore.
That IS the way the legal system works in the USA - checks and balances. Can be annoying and expensive and it obviously doesn't work all that well, but it does work.

If you really want to fight the ordinance, you lawyer up or spend quality time running through the various regulations. In this case, I think it's pretty clear that the park can limit your use of the property, but NOT the airspace. You can sit on the other side of the parking lot, go over the fence line and take pictures of the pretty scenery (assuming that you do it safely). Land where you started - no prob. Have a little battery incident or whatever and you might be talking to the nice park rangers.....

You pull down the control sticks and takes your chances.

That IS the way the legal system works in the USA - checks and balances. Can be annoying and expensive and it obviously doesn't work all that well, but it does work.

If you really want to fight the ordinance, you lawyer up or spend quality time running through the various regulations. In this case, I think it's pretty clear that the park can limit your use of the property, but NOT the airspace. You can sit on the other side of the parking lot, go over the fence line and take pictures of the pretty scenery (assuming that you do it safely). Land where you started - no prob. Have a little battery incident or whatever and you might be talking to the nice park rangers.....

You pull down the control sticks and takes your chances.

This. I don't want to promote animosity against UAS (there's enough already) and don't want to get on the bad side of law enforcement (our Park District has their own police) so I tend to abide by their wishes. Plenty of other places to fly around here.

That IS the way the legal system works in the USA - checks and balances. Can be annoying and expensive and it obviously doesn't work all that well, but it does work..

But it doesn't work if ONE branch decides they can over ride the other two :(

I think the way drones are being portrayed now and all the regulations that might eventually come in to play, maybe not by the FAA/Govt but even the individual cities themselves, this hobby could be a thing of the past. Drones will only be flown by "licensed" pilots and must have the proper papers, etc. I dunno maybe I'm overthinking this but just seems like the direction it could end up several years from now.

I just got into this hobby last year and purchased myself a used P2. My plan was to learn to fly and when I got really into it, make the splurge and purchase the newer model out. I love flying but I might wait to see how things turn out before I upgrade. Last thing I would hate is buying a newer bird, the all of a sudden fee's for this and fee's for that come into play then can't fly here or can't fly there any longer.

I've been flying fixed wing RC aircraft long before drones were an option, and signs like these in city parks were common, even back then. I've been asked to leave a city park for flying a "Park Flyer" - a small (18 inch wing span fixed wing plane), and that was about 10 years ago. Was also told to pull my RC boat out of a city park's pond because it was "disturbing the goldfish."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie