NO FLY ZONES.

Reaction score
I am working for a company and will be making a video of a private jet being refuelled using their product, now i am going to be in a international airport, i have all of the necessary permissions, but i will be right inside the centre on the inner red circle. I heard if you put the phantom into ATTI mode i can fly because no satellites but i was wondering if their is any other way i can do this. any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Reactions: Sky Architect
I am working for a company and will be making a video of a private jet being refuelled using their product, now i am going to be in a international airport, i have all of the necessary permissions, but i will be right inside the centre on the inner red circle. I heard if you put the phantom into ATTI mode i can fly because no satellites but i was wondering if their is any other way i can do this. any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Awesome gig, as far as info, I'm not too sure but I think many others will have some to say soon.

Thank you

Q: I am authorized to fly closer than five miles from an airport. How will this work?

In Authorization zones such as the one you mention, an operator simply needs a verified DJI account and uses the DJI GO application to unlock the area. Making sure that you are authorized is your responsibility.

DJI Newsroom

Q: I am authorized to fly closer than five miles from an airport. How will this work?

In Authorization zones such as the one you mention, an operator simply needs a verified DJI account and uses the DJI GO application to unlock the area. Making sure that you are authorized is your responsibility.

DJI Newsroom
The OP did state that he was "right inside the centre on the inner red circle." Only Authorization Zones, which are yellow highlighted areas, can be unlocked. Red Areas are Restricted Zones that cannot be unlocked. Green areas are Warning Zones that do not need to be unlocked but are still subject to safety precautions.

The standard process to unlock yellow (unlockable) zones does not seem to apply in this particular case. If you do not want to turn off GEO in the app, I do seem to recall someone asking about an airshow or an event at an airport and there was a way to do that though it wasnt easy. I don't recall how or if that was even true, but I'll search for the thread.

Last edited:
its an alternative to DJI Go, but Im unsure if it already implements NFZ.

Thank you
I found this link. It wasnt the one I was looking for, but it might help.
THIS ZONE CANNOT BE UNLOCKED

Summary is that it suggests contacting DJI at [email protected]. You would need to submit paperwork showing that you have permission to fly within the airport. Disclaimer: I have never tried this myself and I have no idea if would work or how long it would take to disposition. I'm just trying to help you with a potential option. Good luck sir.

From 7DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly:

FAQ3:

FAQ6:

So it don't make really sense and their example are really bad.

In any case, advance unlock result in:
Capture.PNG

So no way to unlock in advance a red area.

Only 3 poor options:
- Try to contact [email protected] as previously indicated.
- Fly ATTY with GPS covered (see answer from DJI at en of link in post #10), in any case risky.
- Get another drone that don't have such limitation.

I heard if you put the phantom into ATTI mode i can fly because no satellites but i was wondering if their is any other way i can do this.
Atti won't do it, Phantom will still get GPS signal for location. You could open up the Phantom and put foil over the GPS unit. You would then automatically be flying in Atti mode.

Atti won't do it, Phantom will still get GPS signal for location. You could open up the Phantom and put foil over the GPS unit. You would then automatically be flying in Atti mode.
No need to open, just cover the top with aluminium tape.
It really require to practice in advance and there should be no wind to do really nice video.

No need to open, just cover the top with aluminium tape.
It really require to practice in advance and there should be no wind to do really nice video.

if he is doing this professionally, I assume he has no problems flying in attitude mode. I actually think footage shot in att mode generally looks better, more natural. Let the drone drift a bit with the wind, there is no harm in that, its aerial footage. If you want it to be perfectly still, use a crane.

A wise man on this site once said about foil on top, "I'm sure the authorities would be really nice to you if there was an incident and they found your aircraft had been tampered with.
Have you seen the FAA fines and penalties, I bet if anything were to ever happen and you had an accident you'd be on the maximum side of the penalties. is it really worth it?"

Personally I would be too chicken to do it at an international airport unless I had permission in writing. Everyone has their own comfort level with risk and mine in that case would be low. :)

EDIT: FYI that the above is a general comment with regards to the "foil" method of bypassing GPS suggested in this thread and also often in the forum. It was not addressed to the OP who stated right off that he had permission. Also, the quote mentioned "FAA" but of course it goes without saying that the FAA is not global. Substitute whichever similar governing body you'd like if it helps you to see the intended point of the quote. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Falcon900
I found this link. It wasnt the one I was looking for, but it might help.
THIS ZONE CANNOT BE UNLOCKED

Summary is that it suggests contacting DJI at [email protected]. You would need to submit paperwork showing that you have permission to fly within the airport. Disclaimer: I have never tried this myself and I have no idea if would work or how long it would take to disposition. I'm just trying to help you with a potential option. Good luck sir.
@Lancelot - have you reached out to DJI as I noted this morning? I'm curious about the process and I'm sure others would also be curious.

A wise man on this site once said about foil on top, "I'm sure the authorities would be really nice to you if there was an incident and they found your aircraft had been tampered with.
Have you seen the FAA fines and penalties, I bet if anything were to ever happen and you had an accident you'd be on the maximum side of the penalties. is it really worth it?"

Personally I would be too chicken to do it at an international airport unless I had permission in writing. Everyone has their own comfort level with risk and mine in that case would be low. :)

It looks like he or she is in France so FAA fines and penalties might not be a significant deterrent in this particular case.

DGAC, on the other hand…

Before you ask, it stands for Direction Générale de l'Aviation Civile and yes, I had to look it up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Falcon900
It looks like he or she is in France so FAA fines and penalties might not be a significant deterrent in this particular case.

DGAC, on the other hand…

Before you ask, it stands for Direction Générale de l'Aviation Civile and yes, I had to look it up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
If you were asking, I think (s)he lives in the UK. I dont think (s)he mentioned which airport was in question.

Reactions: JoBe
If you were asking, I think (s)he lives in the UK. I dont think (s)he mentioned which airport was in question.

You're right. I mistakenly thought Dronason's post was from Lancelot.

In my defense, Lancelot did start a thread about flying in France. It was a year ago, but maybe I can get partial credit?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20