No Fly Zone

Reaction score
I just assembled and updated firmware to attempt first flight (all loaded properly). Aircraft is in my home but near an airport. When I attempted to fly I was prohibited from activating the aircraft. Attempted manual with no luck. Now according to the FAA I can fly my drone within 5 miles of the airport with permission from ATC and airport management. Also have an FAA exemption, not to mention I am the airport manager.

Here's my question: How do I disable the no fly feature so that I may enjoy my hard earned $1,300 dollar investment?

I just assembled and updated firmware to attempt first flight (all loaded properly). Aircraft is in my home but near an airport. When I attempted to fly I was prohibited from activating the aircraft. Attempted manual with no luck. Now according to the FAA I can fly my drone within 5 miles of the airport with permission from ATC and airport management. Also have an FAA exemption, not to mention I am the airport manager.

Here's my question: How do I disable the no fly feature so that I may enjoy my hard earned $1,300 dollar investment?
I don't think you can with the P3.

With the ability to gain permission to fly in a no fly zone it makes no sense to prohibit such a flight. Besides, the FAA has not regulated the drone environment yet (still a NPRM). To arbitrarily (manufacturer) make blanket prohibitions such as this will most certainly damage DJI business. As one who has followed the safe flying directives to the letter the process is frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: RCPILOT
After additional research the answer is to fly in A mode. The only restriction is maximum altitude of 500 meters.

After additional research the answer is to fly in A mode. The only restriction is maximum altitude of 500 meters.
Have you tried it? I don't believe that's true since NFZ's are geofenced and thus are still active if you have a GPS connection.

Have not tried yet. Manual says the aircraft operates in the barometric mode only while in A mode which excludes GPS input. Additionally, if the aircraft is inadvertently flown into a no fly zone in A mode, the instructions direct switching to P mode and the aircraft will automatically descend and land, cutting off the motors after landing. I will try later after work.

You can "hack" GPS, by installing a ....sorry the english is not my native language...tape of aluminium in the middle and top of the P3..those we use in the kitchen, for instance...

This will not allow him get GPS....maybe it works....don`t know.

I emailed DJI support about this and they implied that if I sent them the airport info and supporting documentation they might be able to do something about. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering if they might be able to adjust the geofence on an aircraft by aircraft basis.

Interesting. Not sure I would want to send FAA airport protocols and concent letters to Shengen, China? While I have no objections to the apparent safety intention built into the software, this is not how we do things in the U.S. Regulation is set, those who work outside the regulation risk severe penalty but it is a choice we are left to make, not forced. Really appreciate your effort.

Unfortunately this a a set rule that must be followed. Flying a drone too close to an air port is put peoples life's at risk and you shouldn't do it. Imagine if for some reason you loose control of the aircraft and fly it into a plan that is about to land. You would be responsible for killing a lot of people. So respect the rule and find some place else to fly.

The regulation is set, however if you get a letter of authorization from the airport/facility you are working with then you are still legal. It's a process that is authorized by the FAA. Sending FAA documents to China might not be an issue, I'm sure they already have them :)

What are the indications of a NFZ. Does the display inform you that is the issue?
The Phantom wont take off in a no fly zone and if you fly into one, it will land-- at least that is the information that is published.

The Phantom wont take off in a no fly zone and if you fly into one, it will land-- at least that is the information that is published.
I got mine back after I lost a motor and it crashed. DJI fixed it and sent it back I have been Four weeks now trying to get them to tell me why it won't connect to the controller. There is a small airport district 2.6 miles the way the crow flies from us. There is a mountain between us and I am not in the flight path at all. I want to fly under 400' around my 5 acres. I'm wondering now if this is the issue? It won't connect with the camera or the App.

I got mine back after I lost a motor and it crashed. DJI fixed it and sent it back I have been Four weeks now trying to get them to tell me why it won't connect to the controller. There is a small airport district 2.6 miles the way the crow flies from us. There is a mountain between us and I am not in the flight path at all. I want to fly under 400' around my 5 acres. I'm wondering now if this is the issue? It won't connect with the camera or the App.[/QUOTE
I don't know this, but I would think it would connect, but just not take off, if you were in a listed no fly zone. These no fly zones are 6 mile circles and it wouldn't matter what was between the center of the zone and the 6 mile radius at any point... the P3 will probably not take off.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl