No Fly Zone Question

Reaction score
I wanted to show a few friends my drone and for some reason it wouldn't take off.

I attempted to do it a few times and nothing happened...it kept saying no fly zone. I realized there was an airport a couple of miles away after pulling out a map and that's why it wouldn't let me take off.

I was at a friends house and I've never had this occur at my place, so I feel stupid for not realizing it was because of the airport, but it makes 100% sense why they won't let drones take off in the area.

Do you think my account was flagged or anything (notification sent out to authorities) because I was attempting to take off in the No Fly Zone? I obviously don't want to get in trouble so any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No.

I have been flying in a "no fly zone" all winter. 2.5 mi from an airport. I contacted the police chief, he referred me to the city attorney. I guess they didn't think it was important enough to mess with. Never heard back from either. The flight path of the planes coming in and leaving isn't even close to where I'm at due to prevailing winds, runway direction, etc. If they are keeping track at the faa, I don't know about it. But if they are, they'll be looking me up way before they jack with you for a one time deal, and I don't think they're gonna mess with me anyway.

Your NFZ's are determined by DJI and their soft/firmware. If you are in a (DJI) blocked NFZ zone, nothing you can do will help that. (Nice that a Chinese company is controlling US airspace eh?)

buford above mentions he is in a NFZ.... but apparently that zone is not recognized by DJI as a NFZ (probably a small sized airport)... if it were on DJI's list he would not be able to fly... which could certainly change if DJI gets more aggressive.

Yes, its a very small airport. Quite a bit of traffic, guys flying to the beach for lunch, flying in to check on their 1/4 mil rigs to see if they turned the water off, stuff like that. I would name it, but as long as the police and the city legal eagle isn't worried about it, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut. And Cactus is probably correct, its just too small an airport for DJI to worry about. They don't even have an attendant there full time, or a control tower. Their website states "if no attendant is on duty, the responsibility falls on the pilot.

Yes, its a very small airport. Quite a bit of traffic, guys flying to the beach for lunch, flying in to check on their 1/4 mil rigs to see if they turned the water off, stuff like that. I would name it, but as long as the police and the city legal eagle isn't worried about it, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut. And Cactus is probably correct, its just too small an airport for DJI to worry about. They don't even have an attendant there full time, or a control tower. Their website states "if no attendant is on duty, the responsibility falls on the pilot.

That airport has Class C airspace around it. The DJI firmware has Class A and Class B airspace in it.

T

Last edited:
for some reason it wouldn't take off.

I attempted to do it a few times and nothing happened...it kept saying no fly zone.
It appears it was not for "some reason".. it appears to have notified you of the specific reason.

I realized there was an airport a couple of miles away after pulling out a map and that's why it wouldn't let me take off.

No aimed at you but.... this is a _very_ good reason for DJI to be adding GEO fencing and serves as a good post to everyone that questions why DJI is doing this. While everyone should check and know where they are flying, some times these things fall through the cracks. Multiply a million fliers by upteen flights and it's bound to happen that someone does not know they are in a NFZ.

Reactions: Sagebrush
I have posted it before I think, but the Hover app is excellent for just this. It gives weather issues, and all airports all over the US, even the little no account airports like the one by me. And it also shows NFZ's that have nothing to do with airports, like military installations, and there's even one on Padre Is that I don't know what its for, I just know its a NFZ. And even if dji doesn't consider this airport an issue, its me that wants to know about it or any other in my area. It ultimately comes down to "I'm the one who's flying, I want to know what's in the area." I know with as many drones that have been sold, and are becoming more popular as we speak, there are people flying them that are....well.....lets just say they might not have the right mindset for it. I think you will be fine, because you are worried about it, it's the guys that aren't worried that bother me.

It appears it was not for "some reason".. it appears to have notified you of the specific reason.

No aimed at you but.... this is a _very_ good reason for DJI to be adding GEO fencing and serves as a good post to everyone that questions why DJI is doing this. While everyone should check and know where they are flying, some times these things fall through the cracks. Multiply a million fliers by upteen flights and it's bound to happen that someone does not know they are in a NFZ.
Yes - it was very cold out and I thought my drone was having issues with the temperature.

Also, I agree that it's a nice feature. It's a very small airport hub that I had zero knowledge of until a few days ago (my friends didn't either)...definitely a great feature by DJI to keep our sky's safer!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31