No Fly zone hack on the DJI go app?

Reaction score
I recently got the phantom 3 standard but I live close to the airport in my town and I am on the very edge of the no fly zone here making me unable to fly in my own yard, I was wondering if there was a way to fly at all even if there was a height ceiling just so I can get some practice without driving miles away to fly.

Sorry man those no-fly zones are there for a reason they keep everyone who is in the air safe.

Sorry man those no-fly zones are there for a reason they keep everyone who is in the air safe.
I know why they are there but I don't see why me being five miles from and airport I can't fly at least 20 to 50 feet up, if a plane is that low they have other issues besides my drone

Very edge as in 5 miles? If so, you should be able to fly at a reduced altitude but you'd be required to call the airport tower before any flights. I think another way might be to install the beta GEO firmware. Search the forum on this.

Edit: You mentioned you are 5 miles from the airport. You should be able to fly. I've flown as close as 3 miles from an airport that DJI has in their database.

What airport and how far are you?

Last edited:
Very edge as in 5 miles? If so, you should be able to fly at a reduced altitude but you'd be required to call the airport tower before any flights. I think another way might be to install the beta GEO firmware. Search the forum on this.

Edit: You mentioned you are 5 miles from the airport. You should be able to fly. I've flown as close as 3 miles from an airport that DJI has in their database.

What airport and how far are you?
I live next to the Fairbanks international airport, I'm right on the edge of the circle I don't know the exact distance from it.

I recently got the phantom 3 standard but I live close to the airport in my town and I am on the very edge of the no fly zone here making me unable to fly in my own yard, I was wondering if there was a way to fly at all even if there was a height ceiling just so I can get some practice without driving miles away to fly.

Be thankful you still have the freedom to buy it and look at it ;)
That could change too.

Seriously tho. that draws air. But being that close to an International airport is going to be inconvenient for drone flying unfortunately.
btw, International airports can have much larger airspace boundaries depending on approach patterns.
Go to Jeppeson.com and look at a VFR chart for your area. You may be underneath one of the extended approach corridors so it could go out further than 5 miles. The 5 miles usually is for smaller, class B airspace airports

I live next to the Fairbanks international airport, I'm right on the edge of the circle I don't know the exact distance from it.

The edge should be the outer limit, usually 5 miles. The DJI should only limit your height at this point. As you get within a mile or so, it won't allow the props to start up. But if you are at 5 miles you only need to call the tower and let them know you will be flying. You may want to read up on the FAA regs for this issue.

Last edited:
The "hack" is return the drone.

It is outrageous that some one who lives 7 miles north of Downtown DC in MD cannot fly their DJI for commercial purposes. The DJI unlock is not for the special NFZ around DC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair