No Fly Zone....everywhere?

magicmethods said:
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/hate-drones-this-new-website-lets-you-create-a-110632205119.html

Anyone can make anywhere a "no fly zone".
Is it really possible that DJI would use this database in future firmware updates?

No. You don't own the airspace above your property, the FAA does. And if I am your neighbor and want to fly in my back yard, but the geofence this stupid website creates (500ft around the address) overlaps on my property, I can't take off from my patio... now that's a problem for both of us.

Snake oil. This company is selling a solution that can't be practically applied, to a problem that doesn't exist, to people wearing aluminum foil hats. I wish I had thought of the idea.

Might not be as bad as it looks. What if DJI never uses this, what if your neighborhood is drone-friendly, what if they don't do this in all countries, what if you don't update the firmware so you don't get these restrictions.

There are plenty of optimistic thoughts that may get us out of this. C'mon guys!

Stanza_guy said:
Snake oil. This company is selling a solution that can't be practically applied, to a problem that doesn't exist, to people wearing aluminum foil hats. I wish I had thought of the idea.

Agree, here is from their Questions and answers:

What drone companies are in the NoFlyZone participant community?

As of our launch, participating drone companies include DroneDeploy, Ehang (maker of the Ghost-Drone), HEXO+, and YUNEEC.

Anybody using these??

There are a few YUNEEC users as their new quad appears fairly nice, still a DJI Phantom knocked one out of the air :p

It's been discussed on this forum before in relation to airport no-fly zones but there's a memory limit to how many no-fly zones can be stored in the Phantom's memory. If thousands of people registered their areas would it all fit into firmware even if DJI wanted to comply?

Absurd.

bbfpv said:
No. You don't own the airspace above your property, the FAA does.
No, we all do. Since the 1926 Air Commerce Act and subsequent SCOTUS decisions, all navigable airspace is in the public domain. You only own the airspace that you can reasonably use.

SteveMann said:
bbfpv said:
No. You don't own the airspace above your property, the FAA does.
No, we all do. Since the 1926 Air Commerce Act and subsequent SCOTUS decisions, all navigable airspace is in the public domain. You only own the airspace that you can reasonably use.

Even better :)

Obviously, DJI begs to disagree as evidenced in their recently implemted 15.5 mile radius White House No-Fly Zone (Washington, D.C.) they are attempting to implement. I live about 13 miles from the center of the White House. This means, soon, I will not be able to fly in my own neighborhood. Why they didn't just put a geo-fence around Washington, D.C only is beyond me.

djsydvicious said:
Obviously, DJI begs to disagree as evidenced in their recently implemted 15.5 mile radius White House No-Fly Zone (Washington, D.C.) they are attempting to implement. I live about 13 miles from the center of the White House. This means, soon, I will not be able to fly in my own neighborhood. Why they didn't just put a geo-fence around Washington, D.C only is beyond me.

I think it's because in their current implementation a no fly zone can only be defined by a circle radiating from some long/lat. I would imagine eventually they will add true geofencing or there are going to be a lot more angry customers, and missed opportunities to increase market share.

Makes sense. However, IMHO, I do think 15.5 miles is rather large. I mean, D.C. isn't that big but they are now extending into Maryland and Northern Virginia.

maybe that's the distance needed from the white house in order for the F-16s to intercept a P2V in time!! ;)

bbfpv said:
maybe that's the distance needed from the white house in order for the F-16s to intercept a P2V in time!! ;)
:lol:

bbfpv said:

makes sense, considering a drunk pilot was able to fly his Phantom into the front lawn of the White House without incident lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20