No fly zone - data mismatch

Reaction score
Ahhh NFZs... Got the dreaded Cannot take off message and there was a big old red area on the screen saying I was in restricted air space for Detroit city airport (not DTW) just barely within the 5 mile radius.
Used the B4UFky app and IT says I'm in a warning only zone.
Went to DJIs page to ask for an unlock and it also states I'm in a warning only area. No red circles anywhere, even the airport itself is just a green warning circle.

To see what I see: the location in question is 350 Madison street, Detroit, Mi

To me, it appears a mismatch between data online and in the firmware/app.

Are there any solutions? To whom would I complain and ask for help?

Thanks in advance

You will have to contact DJI and give them co-ordinates etc and details of problem

After looking up the address you provided on google maps it's not the airport giving you that message it's your proximity to the Baseball & Football stadiums. Your not allowed to fly in those areas.

After looking up the address you provided on google maps it's not the airport giving you that message it's your proximity to the Baseball & Football stadiums. Your not allowed to fly in those areas.

I don't see any indication of that -- though I am aware of temporary flight restrictions during games (hour before to hour after) but nothing was going on in the empty stadiums all the times I've tried.

Curiously, this very location worked about a year ago. For example:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also, where did you look th location up that showed restrictions for the stadiums? Just like to see that data ...
Thanks

SB is correct.

DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 16.08.43.png

I'm having data mismatch as well. DJI own site where you can unlock areas says there is no restrictions where I'm trying to fly however the DJI go app reports the area as red. It's a old non active airstrip

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

An area I need to do a photo shoot in is colored blue, not red. Is that restricted or a caution area? I will have airport manager approval, but will the drone fly? How about in manual modes?

OK. My understanding is that I can disable the no-fly zone on the DJI site. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Can someone clarify the difference between blue and red? I would think, and the verbiage I read suggests, that red is more restrictive than blue.

Blue are airports
Red are stadiums and other no go areas.

You can not unlock them.

d0b99143aa9108a1a74cb4d97bd3cc47.jpg

302712dd9f7275804806f2f22ee98403.jpg

This is from the DJI page to unlock geofencing.

My question to DJI was about the blue zone at this airport. They told me that I could unlock it. I'll let you know if it works. I can't do it till I get my drone license next month though.

OK, I'm getting it. There is still a mismatch, in a way.
Using DJI Go I'm getting Cannot Take Off with the big red zones from the staidums, and I do see them now on the DJI website.
However, the GEO system doesn't cover it (so you can't even try to unlock it), the FAA's B4UFly doesn't cover it.
Note: my issue is NOT during a game (one hour before to one hour after) - I get that. But, at times when the stadium is closed and empty - it's still a red NFZ. I've called and asked the Stadium and they don't care when they aren't there. DJI don't even discuss it.

Yes, 99% of the time the stadium is unused and you can't fly.

I think the data involved to have every fixture at every stadium world wide would be a mammoth undertaking.

so we are stuck with not flying near stadiums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic