No fly zone confusion.

Reaction score
I've noticed that the size of no fly zones vary depending on where you look. The DJI website showing the smallest no fly zone. I believe there was also something on their site about R1 and R2 zones.

Next on the list is UAV forecast which shows a 4 mile NFZ around the local airport (JST, Class D). Looking up class D on Wikipedia it also says 4 miles. UAV also shows a 1 mile NFZ around the hospital heliport.

Then you have Know Before You Fly/AirMap which shows a 5 mile NFZ (this the one I've going by).

Last you have the B4UFly app which shows a slightly larger NFZ when the app chooses to work which isn't often. It's NFZ is about a half mile larger than Airmap.

On a related note when you wish to fly within a NFZ you are to notify the airport/ATC but the only number listed is for the airport manager. He doesn't answer his phone or respond to emails.

I've noticed that the size of no fly zones vary depending on where you look. The DJI website showing the smallest no fly zone. I believe there was also something on their site about R1 and R2 zones.

Next on the list is UAV forecast which shows a 4 mile NFZ around the local airport (JST, Class D). Looking up class D on Wikipedia it also says 4 miles. UAV also shows a 1 mile NFZ around the hospital heliport.

Then you have Know Before You Fly/AirMap which shows a 5 mile NFZ (this the one I've going by).

Last you have the B4UFly app which shows a slightly larger NFZ when the app chooses to work which isn't often. It's NFZ is about a half mile larger than Airmap.

On a related note when you wish to fly within a NFZ you are to notify the airport/ATC but the only number listed is for the airport manager. He doesn't answer his phone or respond to emails.

Kenny,
Its good that you noticed this difference. However I would not use other apps for TFRs except the B4UFly app. The reason for this is that the GPS overlay data could be skewed fro some reason. The DJI Go has the r1 and r2 areas as warning areas, not as official boundaries. If you are wanting to know the OFFICIAL size of a TFR please use the link I have posted below...

Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

These are published as an official document, and is what the FAA will use to enforce any action against you as a pilot. If tell them you got your information from a 3rd party, they won't accept your complacency.

I will be holding another webinar next week covering Airspace, TFRs, and NOTAMS for UAS/UAV pilots and I will be addressing these issues in much greater detail. Feel free to join in. A link will be posted on my Facebook page and here on the forums.

facebook.com/aerialcolorado

Reactions: Falcon900
I think the phrase "no fly zone" or NFZ is misused and abused in this forum.

That phrase really applies to DJI products. You place your Phantom on the ground and it won't fly because its GPS location is in a DJI No Fly Zone as designated by DJI.

But the phrase really doesn't have a place in our UAS / FAA world which is the one that matters. Unless you're in the middle east, it doesn't really exist.

So trying to make sense of "NFZ" in regards to maps such as B4UFLY or AIRMAPS, etc., is a wasted effort. FRZ is a better acronym and will make things less confusing.

FAA calls it Restricted Airspace instead of NFZ.

Here's a brief primer which some links to help you learn more.
Airspace Restrictions

Reactions: Falcon900
Kenny,
Its good that you noticed this difference. However I would not use other apps for TFRs except the B4UFly app.

Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

These are published as an official document, and is what the FAA will use to enforce any action against you as a pilot. If tell them you got your information from a 3rd party, they won't accept your complacency.

If they want people to use the B4UFly app then they are going to have to fix it. They can't expect people to use it if it crashes when you try to start it. I only had a brief moment to look at the map before the app crashed and closed. Until they fix it I'll continue to use Air map as it was the closest to covering the same area.

I bookmarked the TFR link.

I have also read that to fit within 5 miles of the airport you are required to notify the airport and/or ATC. There several areas that I would love to photograph from a higher perspective. The only contact info I have is for the airport manager. To date I have yet to receive any response to any of my emails and the phone is never answered. ATC appears to be done through Cleveland Center, not the local airport.

One of the areas I'd like to fly is about 4.5 miles from the airport. I doubt there would any danger to any aircraft as the elevation of the airport is 2284' ASL and the area I'd like to fly is below 1100'. Is there a way to contact Cleveland Center since notifying the local airport appears to be a lost cause.

I have also read that to fit within 5 miles of the airport you are required to notify the airport and/or ATC. There several areas that I would love to photograph from a higher perspective. The only contact info I have is for the airport manager. To date I have yet to receive any response to any of my emails and the phone is never answered. ATC appears to be done through Cleveland Center, not the local airport.

One of the areas I'd like to fly is about 4.5 miles from the airport. I doubt there would any danger to any aircraft as the elevation of the airport is 2284' ASL and the area I'd like to fly is below 1100'. Is there a way to contact Cleveland Center since notifying the local airport appears to be a lost cause.

My understanding according to a lawyer's website ( Drone Lawyer NYC | Reckless Endangerment New York ) is that there is a no-fly zone 1.5 miles around any airport but w/in 5 miles the altitude in which you can fly is regulated. The closer to the center of that zone, the lower the altitude it. I am also having difficulty with finding information on heliports in the area. Ugh....I had no idea what I was getting into! I've had this thing for 2 weeks and have yet to take it out!

It sounds to me like the lawyer in the above link was referring to commercial drone regs when he talks about flying near airports. Also note that the undated doc is copyright 2015 which was a long time ago. I suggest you study FAA doc AC 91-57A (attached) for guidance on flying your Phantom for hobby use.

Re heliports, I like the airmap.io site/app.

Welome to Phantompilots!

Attachments

• AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Dragonfly2016
What I really need is a comprehensive map of no fly zones and limited altitude zones. I am a GIS analyst so maps are my language. I find it amazing that I have not found anything on the internet given how popular this hobby is becoming. DJI's map doesn't even include Teterborough (NJ)!

If you review AC 91-57A, you can see there is no such thing as a limited altitude zone as it would apply to a hobbyist. So there is no point in acquiring such a map.

If you want to see "no fly zones" go to dji.com.

What you likely want to see is restricted flight zones and the like, and again, I suggest airmap.io.

Reactions: Dragonfly2016
I did read it...I can't say it made a lot of sense to me in terms of where I can't fly. Airmap is really good. As i suspected I am in 2 no-fly zones and gotta hop on the subway to get to where i can fly legally.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the lawyer in the above link was referring to commercial drone regs when he talks about flying near airports. Also note that the undated doc is copyright 2015 which was a long time ago. I suggest you study FAA doc AC 91-57A (attached) for guidance on flying your Phantom for hobby use.

Re heliports, I like the airmap.io site/app.

Welome to Phantompilots!
I just checked out airspace.com ...that works out quite well. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20