No Drones in state Park?

Reaction score
Sad to see this as we entered the Valley of Fire in Nevada.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442499582.866919.jpg

Hope this isn't a trend...

I'm afraid it very MUCH is a trend.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
That looks like a paper sign. I cant read the print but I've never known a state or federal agency to announce rules or law in any way other than the most expensive way possible.

Does it reference a statute or ordinance? Maybe this sign was put here by some animal lovers or something? I see no logical reason why anyone would go after prohibiting drone use in the desert. Also, "drone" is a pretty poor term. We fly model aircraft. Drones are used in Iraq to bomb people. We should be all set ;)

You are talking about Nevada, where the US government has numerous secret installations and conduct secret tests. There is probably more to this than anti-drone sentiments.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah, look at all those FAA agents they have there enforcing the laws lol. If you get harassed, just tell the officer it doesn't say drone anywhere in your packing materials. That sign says no drones....this is a flying camera!

Be safe and not sorry. They are getting tight.

Doesn't look like a National Park to me... but if they post a sign, I assume it would be under their rights to not allow quads. And I would assume the worst thing they could do would be to kick you out, but doubt you'd be arrested...

Since there is little to no info, we can easily assume that the nation park in question crosses state lines. And all national parks are very well documented on maps. If you need help reading one then you have no business flying a quad ANYWHERE!
Capture.PNG

The sign is right after you enter and pay to "use" the park. The sign is a metal one, not paper.

And this is a State Park, not National.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The rule as it's written now just means you can't take off from inside the boundary of the park. You can stand on the edge and fly over. Of course, if your bird were to happen to crash inside the border, it's on you. This is, of course, assuming there is not already a DJI NFZ in place, and that sign represents the border.

The sign is right after you enter and pay to "use" the park. The sign is a metal one, not paper.

And this is a State Park, not National.

Sorry... You didn't say that you had to pay, or if it was a State/National park. I was just going by the picture you posted... I had always figured State/National parks were off-limits. Wouldn't it be the same even if you took off from outside the park?

Sorry... You didn't say that you had to pay, or if it was a State/National park. I was just going by the picture you posted... I had always figured State/National parks were off-limits. Wouldn't it be the same even if you took off from outside the park?
The state has no jurisdiction over its airspace. Only the FAA does. So they can prohibit drones in the park, but it only covers takeoff, controlling, and landing.

The state has no jurisdiction over its airspace. Only the FAA does. So they can prohibit drones in the park, but it only covers takeoff, controlling, and landing.

Ahh... so you could take off from outside the park, fly in, then fly out?

It is a fine line between legal and not legal right now. As the law is written you cannot "launch or land" in a National Park, the law does not address flying over or through a NP - so there is a technical loophole there. However I have had NP Rangers in both Utah and here in Washington tell me that they will find a reason to prosecute drones within the park; endangering tourists/visitors, flying BLOS, harassing wilflife, etc.
And here in the west the NP are huge, so to stand at the border and fly into the park, one would have to be flying BLOS and using FPV to see anything worth filming. I believe this loophole will be closed soon, and the law will read that you cannot fly over NPs.

In Washington the law is pretty clear about flying over or in State Parks - one can only do so within designated RC flying areas within the park. I belong to an AMA endorsed flying club within one of our State Parks - if I fly outside of that boundary. regardless of where I launched from, I can be fined and the entire club can face sanctions.

Reactions: Ti22

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj