No Charges for Carlsbad Man in Beach Drone Dispute

Watch the link

This is just a few miles from me...

No Charges for Carlsbad Man in Beach Drone Dispute | NBC 7 San Diego No Charges for Carlsbad Man in Beach Drone Dispute via @nbcsandiego

Hope the link works
The link worked. I would love to see the video the drone owner has of the man bringing it down with his T shirt, what does it actually show - since he won't release the video.
But if he was flying close enough over the crowd that someone tossing a T-shirt could hit the drone, he was flying too close.
If he was landing the drone (on the sandy beach?) as he claims, then indeed, T shirt thrower should pay for the damage.

Last edited:
Both at fault. I would hate to know what could of happen if that drone decided to have a mind of it's own and crash...but that does not give anyone a right to take down a drone.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Read the comments at the end of the article. Pretty telling how the public feels about drones, and each article like this just adds flame to the fire of public sentiment.
We, as hobbyists, are faced with two hurdles: First, the media who spreads the fire, and Second, the drone owners who fly stupid and feed the flame that the media keeps stoking with their examples.
Some here on this forum advocate that we push the boundaries which will gain us the freedom to fly where ever we please. While that sounds nice to read in a forum, I think the reality is the public sentiment is far more powerful, and flying stupid is not swaying that sentiment to our side, instead they are pushing back.

Edit: To clarify, I am not judging this drone pilot's flight as safe or stupid, I don't have the information to make that judgement. But to the public, this was stupid, and that is what we have to battle.

Last edited:
I changed the title to reflect the content. ;)

I remember this story. How the heck did he get out of patying for the damages? I hope the operator files a civil suit against this guy. It wont help us if people who participate in type of bravado behavior get off scott free. It will only help to embolden others to act this way.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Though charges were not filed, I wonder if the owner can recoup the cost of the drone's damages in civil court?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4