No airports/heliports

Reaction score
OK So I searched here for this question and I did not find any posts so I am starting this thread. If this question has been answered before I apologize.

There are several areas around where I live that have no airports/heliports or other businesses that I would need to call before I fly. In these cases I do not need to call anyone before I fly, is that correct?
I call these areas 'free zones' as I can just go an take off with no worries about airports.
Am I understanding airmaps and b4ufly correctly? Or am I completely wrong?

If you will be flying in a public use area, you may want to check with your local parks dept, police, city etc . . . for any local regulations/restrictions.

Use common sense, fly safe. I've seen way too much drone footage taken by idiots flying over highways, etc . . .

Helicopters may still appear within "your" airspace so look out for them. I too was flying in class G airspace at 400 feet taking panoramic video using POI mode when a helicopter flew by at what seemed like 200 feet since it seemed much lower than my drone.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: glennj
I use the Airmap App. When you see an area highlighted in orange, touch the highlighted area and you will get a list of the entities that you need be concerned about, along with phone numbers.

Tobby

Last edited:
I use the Airmap App. When you see an area highlighted in orange, touch the highlighted area and you will get a list of the entities that you need be concerned about, along with phone numbers.

Tobby
^^This. Airmap for iOS is great. I use this app religiously when flying in Toronto (where I live).

Unfortunate part is the park just outside my building is in a big, bold red no fly zone (0.4km from an international airport). Woe is me... :(

I use airmap, you might think there are no airports or helipads nearby but there are. I typically have to go into the boonies or unpopulated coastal areas to fly. I've yet to call a helipad to notify them, i will in the future though.

I use airmap, you might think there are no airports or helipads nearby but there are. I typically have to go into the boonies or unpopulated coastal areas to fly. I've yet to call a helipad to notify them, i will in the future though.
Not condoning anything here or trying to get flamed but I feel like helipads are that gray area in UAV aviation. In Canada you need to be at least 9km away from any aerodrome (helipads included) but I feel like this may be a gray area in enforcement given their much less frequency of use compared to airports. Transport Canada definitely needs to revamp the laws here to make it a little more pragmatic to fly for us responsible hobbyists.

Not condoning anything here or trying to get flamed but I feel like helipads are that gray area in UAV aviation. In Canada you need to be at least 9km away from any aerodrome (helipads included) but I feel like this may be a gray area in enforcement given their much less frequency of use compared to airports. Transport Canada definitely needs to revamp the laws here to make it a little more pragmatic to fly for us responsible hobbyists.

In the US, you just have to notify them, "Hey, i'm flying my drone in this general area ,bye".

In the US, you just have to notify them, "Hey, i'm flying my drone in this general area ,bye".
That's just for helipads I presume? Airports and such would probably be a different story I'd imagine.

No, hobby fliers are only required to 'notify' any airports (most take that to include heliports too) about your intended flights. Some exceptions, such as in Class B airspace around busy airports.

No, hobby fliers are only required to 'notify' any airports (most take that to include heliports too) about your intended flights. Some exceptions, such as in Class B airspace around busy airports.
I'd imagine the US equivalent of Class C and Class D need to be notified as well? Or are those complete no-fly zones?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4