Nighttime shooting

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question in regards to my P4P. I recently flew my P4P at nighttime, filming a large house, trying to do some panning. I had gone through all the steps to ensure safe takeoff and after launching it, the camera for some reason would adjust to show the house, the screen was very dark. I played with the settings but couldn't figure out why it was so dark. I set to Manual, A, S, etc on the app but still no luck. I definitely didn't have a ND filter on, just normal polar pro UV filter. I was approx, 35-50 away from the house, approx 30 feet height. The only lights that were on were the house exterior lights. It was driving me crazy as it kept saying low ambient light message on the app which didn't make sense. Haven't seen that message pop up before. At any rate, I had to bring it down and fly my Mavic Pro which did a great job, the house was properly light on the screen with no issues. Any help I would appreciate!

Reactions: mike ross
Low ambient light warning means the obstacle avoidance sensors can't see - they don't work in the dark.
Once you change to manual camera settings you need to increase the light to the sensor. Other than setting to manual what settings did you use?

It was driving me crazy as it kept saying low ambient light message on the app which didn't make sense. Haven't seen that message pop up before.
Try disabling obstacle avoidance in DJI GO when flying at night. That should prevent that message from appearing.

Reactions: bryan0026
Hey guys, I have a question in regards to my P4P. I recently flew my P4P at nighttime, filming a large house, trying to do some panning. I had gone through all the steps to ensure safe takeoff and after launching it, the camera for some reason would adjust to show the house, the screen was very dark. I played with the settings but couldn't figure out why it was so dark. I set to Manual, A, S, etc on the app but still no luck.
It sounds like two different problems.
1. If you are going to use Manual, you have to get the exposure right or the screen (and image) will be too dark or too bright.
2. In auto you can set the exposure over-ride to under or over expose by up to 3 stops.
If you have it set to underexpose, the screen and image will look dark.
Look at the line of camera data on the screen at the EV number.
If you have it set to underexpose it will say something like EV -2.0.
If it does, dial it back to EV0

Low ambient light warning means the obstacle avoidance sensors can't see - they don't work in the dark.
Once you change to manual camera settings you need to increase the light to the sensor. Other than setting to manual what settings did you use?

Ok, gotcha. Didn't know that and now I do. I thought they work in the dark but then again, how would that work. Normal settings nothing out of the usual. Not sure what exactly you're referring to.

It sounds like two different problems.
1. If you are going to use Manual, you have to get the exposure right or the screen (and image) will be too dark or too bright.
2. In auto you can set the exposure over-ride to under or over expose by up to 3 stops.
If you have it set to underexpose, the screen and image will look dark.
Look at the line of camera data on the screen at the EV number.
If you have it set to underexpose it will say something like EV -2.0.
If it does, dial it back to EV0

Gotcha. I ended up landing the P4P and used my Mavic Pro instead which worked out much better really without touching too many settings. I could see the lit house from the same distance as I was flying the Phantom, it was just strange to me that it wouldn't pick up any light on the P4P and the Mavic worked fine.

it was just strange to me that it wouldn't pick up any light on the P4P and the Mavic worked fine.
That's what happens when you have it set to underexpose, and if you can't see it, you can't shoot it.
Put it back in Auto and check to see what the EV value is.
Unless you really know what you are doing with camera settings, it's best to leave it on Auto.
And there are plenty of good photographers that shoot in auto as well.
It will get a good image most of the time.
The P4 pro is an excellent low-light shooter, better than the Mavic because it has a larger sensor.
Here's an example of what it can do (using auto exposure as well):
949-67B-X2.jpg

That's what happens when you have it set to underexpose, and if you can't see it, you can't shoot it.
Put it back in Auto and check to see what the EV value is.
Unless you really know what you are doing with camera settings, it's best to leave it on Auto.
And there are plenty of good photographers that shoot in auto as well.
It will get a good image most of the time.
The P4 pro is an excellent low-light shooter, better than the Mavic because it has a larger sensor.
Here's an example of what it can do (using auto exposure as well):
949-67B-X2.jpg

I see, I see. That photo is amazing what settings is it dialed to? If it's underexposed wouldn't that mean it's going to be a dark picture?

I see, I see. That photo is amazing what settings is it dialed to? If it's underexposed wouldn't that mean it's going to be a dark picture?
That was using Aperture priority auto exposure at f4 and ISO 100. Shutter speed was 0.4 secs.
If you either have exposure over-ride underexposing or you use a manual setting that results in underexposure, the screen image and your image file will both be too dark.
The more underexposed, the darker it is.

Might check your polar by turning it 180 degrees and watch the screen. The Polaroid lenses block the light moving in one plane while passing the other. Not likely but it could be.
Good lock
Jim
WA5TEF.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4