Night video question

Reaction score
I just flew my Phantom 3 Standard at night at 2.7k, 24 fps. It is kind of grainy. Is this normal for a night video? The actual video viewed with QuickTime actually has faint horizontal lines, but after uploading it to YouTube it is just kind of grainy. I guess I was expecting something sharper with a 2.7 k resolution but I don't know much about filming yet so I don't know really what to expect.

Here is the video.

It is normal, the cameras on drones or for that matter most small digital cameras will not give fantastic night quality. It is down to how the imaging chip works. They don't really have variable iso, its all done by electronically boosting the signals which increases heat in the chip and gives you the grain effect, the software also interpolates the signal adding to the degradation. This is exacerbated by the tiny (relatively) size of the chip.
Before you compare to an all bells and whistles modern dslr remember that the drone cameras are not exactly cutting edge, more money has gone into the gimbal stability than image quality.
So, it's pretty much, be grateful you get any sort of image and wait around a lot of years for things to improve.

Doesn't look that bad. Also the more streetlights or other lit structures the better. I.e. Town/city centres (where allowed) and seafronts look nice at night.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Also when I upload my footage to either YouTube or Facebook, I downgrade my footage to 1080 as this is the more preferred method of managing uploads. I shoot with the same settings as the OP, clean it up with adobe premiere and post it up.

Reactions: Jimmers
I'm a photographer and with the cameras on the standard you can't go over 400 ISO without lots of grain. The sensors in theses drones are micro 4/3 so basically the same size of a cell phone camera sensor. The P4+ has a 1 inch sensor which would be stunning for night video. For best results at don't shoot with anything higher than 400iso (800 if absolutely needed) in 2.7k and downgrade footage to 1080.

One more thing to get the best night video, shoot at the lowest frame rate possible to allow for a slower shutter.

Slower shutter = more light to sensor = lower ISO needed

This is a video I did at night. 400iso recorded in 2.7 downgraded to 1080. Watch in HD.

That is awesome. I hope they are using a radio broadcaster for the music. We had neighbors who synced lights to the music and would constantly play it. It wasn't bad the first couple nights.....but hearing the same song over and over...

That is awesome. I hope they are using a radio broadcaster for the music. We had neighbors who synced lights to the music and would constantly play it. It wasn't bad the first couple nights.....but hearing the same song over and over...

As much as I like the light show I wouldn't want to live beside them.

The sensors in theses drones are micro 4/3 so basically the same size of a cell phone camera sensor.
I don't see how this is possible. Everything I've read says Micro 4/3 sensors are 18mm x 13.5mm and are used in mirrorless cameras. The imaging sensor in the new iPhone 7 is 5.16mm x 6.25mm.

Or am I wrong?

I don't see how this is possible. Everything I've read says Micro 4/3 sensors are 18mm x 13.5mm and are used in mirrorless cameras. The imaging sensor in the new iPhone 7 is 5.16mm x 6.25mm.

Or am I wrong?

Sorry I should've reread what I wrote, should've said that it's smaller than a micro 4/3 and it's no good for low light. The phantom 3 S/A/P only has a 1/2.3" sensor in it, the P4P has a 1 inch sensor. My old point and shoot had a micro 4/3 sensor in it and it wasn't a mirrorless camera.
Do you know if it has the same size sensor for both lenses on the 7+ as one lens is 50mm f1.8 and the other is a wide angle lens
a3d065867cf7d0aa4e92db079e8f2f28.jpg

Do you know if it has the same size sensor for both lenses on the 7+ as one lens is 50mm f1.8 and the other is a wide angle lens
That I'm not sure about. It's been a while since I read the complete teardown.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20