night time settings help

Reaction score
Ive been taking more photos with my p4 lately, im struggling though getting lots of noise, and images which look pixaly / grainy almost like when something is over sharpened?

Appreciate any help

Dazza

Beau.1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Hey! Nice shot!!! What were your camera settings? Did you use a filter?

Keep up the great shots, I like them!
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey! Nice shot!!! What were your camera settings? Did you use a filter?

Keep up the great shots, I like them!
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey jim, Thanks

this was right after sunset so no filter, just the original dji one.. ISO was 100, and color was either true color or normal, it wasn't a HDR shot it was a AEB shot of 5, exposure i cant remember i took so many pics that night lol..

Its so hard to get a clean, crisp image that doesnt look pixaly, and also capture the night time without getting it way to dark..

Hey jim, Thanks

this was right after sunset so no filter, just the original dji one.. ISO was 100, and color was either true color or normal, it wasn't a HDR shot it was a AEB shot of 5, exposure i cant remember i took so many pics that night lol..

Its so hard to get a clean, crisp image that doesnt look pixaly, and also capture the night time without getting it way to dark..
Yeah, well you are good! Are you a professional photographer? My son, flies a Mavic Pro, would like this one. I'm going to send him the link. He lives just SE of Atlanta and does a lot of sunrises and sunsets but no night shots that I recall. I'm encouraged now to try some around my neighborhood. If I get a good one, I'll send it to you with the settings. I fly a Phantom 4, had for almost a year.
Anyway, good job!!!
Jim
WA5TEF
Saltillo, MS

Yeah, well you are good! Are you a professional photographer? My son, flies a Mavic Pro, would like this one. I'm going to send him the link. He lives just SE of Atlanta and does a lot of sunrises and sunsets but no night shots that I recall. I'm encouraged now to try some around my neighborhood. If I get a good one, I'll send it to you with the settings. I fly a Phantom 4, had for almost a year.
Anyway, good job!!!
Jim
WA5TEF
Saltillo, MS

Kind words brother, thank you so much, no deffo not professional just a hobbyist :)

City2.jpg
The only advice I can give you, being a professional photographer is to shoot RAW. Also this is about all you are going to get out of the sensor in a P4.. The P4P would be your next step up as it's sensor is a lot bigger and will capture more light without the noise. Try shooting a RAW file, you can control the amount of sharpening, white balance, and the amount of noise filtering placed in the image.. I have shot a lot of awesome night shots with the P4, and it is possible though.. View attachment 84364

Reactions: Dazzauk
Ive been taking more photos with my p4 lately, im struggling though getting lots of noise, and images which look pixaly / grainy almost like when something is over sharpened?
The biggest problem with that photo is that most of the image area is darkness.
To get good night time photos, don't try to shoot darkness with a few pinpricks of light.
You need to have a substantial subject area that is bright like this (shot ages ago with a P3 Advanced)
DJI_0397-475%20detail-X3.jpg

To get good night time photos, don't try to shoot darkness with a few pinpricks of light.
You need to have a substantial subject area that is bright like this (shot ages ago with a P3 Advanced)

Solid advice. Thanks.

Great pic too.

View attachment 84365 The only advice I can give you, being a professional photographer is to shoot RAW. Also this is about all you are going to get out of the sensor in a P4.. The P4P would be your next step up as it's sensor is a lot bigger and will capture more light without the noise. Try shooting a RAW file, you can control the amount of sharpening, white balance, and the amount of noise filtering placed in the image.. I have shot a lot of awesome night shots with the P4, and it is possible though.. View attachment 84364

Thanks for the advice buddy. Will deffo keep trying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazzauk
Surprised there's no one in this thread freaking out about it being "illegal" to fly at night. (It's not illegal)

How do you get this loo? And by this look i mean your photo is so smooth it almost looks computer generated, most of my pics look like pictures if that makes sense?

Im really trying to get this look which i can only refer to as smooth, and computer generated kind of hope that makes sense?

image.jpeg
You need to leave the lens open a little longer ( time exposure ) at night to let more light in , here's an example of a night shot unedited straight from the P4 , ISO 800 with a 2.5 second exposure...

Last edited:
View attachment 84399 You need to leave the lens open a little longer ( time exposure ) at night to let more light in , here's an example of a night shot unedited straight from the P4 , ISO 800 with a 2.5 second exposure...

How do you get clouds like that if it's night time?

You'd be amazed how much the camera can capture in low light when you do a long exposure. It's capable of seeing more than the human eye in some instances. The clouds are being lit up by the city lights in go fast's example.

Reactions: RC_G35x and go fast
Never saw the clouds till I shot the picture just goes to show the camera with the right settings can highlight what the naked eye can't , pretty amazing...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20