Night Shot with LDS Temple

We have a temple here in San Antonio that I've been dying to get some video of. Did you ask permission to shoot on property or just go for it ? Very nice video btw

What setting did you use on GoPro? I am still looking for the best for night shots.

Nice video - thanks,

Andy

Where is this temple?

Like asked, what gopro settings? That's some nice night footage!

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback. The temple is Kensington, Maryland. The GoPro setting is 1080 @ 60fps. This is my first night shot experience, so I just kept the same setting as my normal shots. If you know any preferred setting for GoPro night shot, please share.

Thanks!

Allow me to begin by saying what a great video that is. You picked a good subject for your first night flight; stunning footage for an amateur (assuming you're not a professional).

I fear, however, that this kind of video is exactly what the "authorities" are going to use to mount their regulation campaign to limit drone use. Not simply because you made this, but once one of these things flies away and into the windows of a kid's bedroom one night, or crashes into a bus on that highway I see below...

I don't know the answer, because I think your video is beautiful and awesome... I just worry about the consequences of an accident in populated areas. Maybe I'm too paranoid about it.

Great vid, though.

Hi d86,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/concerns. What you are thinking is legit. It is very possible that an accident will occur somewhere somehow that makes the lawmaker to regulate the drone use. I personally don't think it is just this type of shot in particularly. A drone can crash into people even in an open space. However, this is similar to driving. There are drivers who will make mistakes either being not careful enough or things like mechanical failures to cause an accident. That is why there are traffic rules, and drivers are taking the full responsibilities for any accidents. Part of me thinking our fun drones will be limited to use by law eventually, but part of me hoping when that happens, hopefully the regulation is mature enough so that drone can be used safely and not taking too much fun away from us. Just my 2cents.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Just a tip... next time flying at night, try 30fps instead of 60fps. The slower shutter speed will let more light in. Just thought I would mention it...

Great, thanks! I will definitely give it a try. Do you think it will be less smooth by having less fps?

I think you'll be ok - as I've seen videos of other people using that and it looks just fine. To be honest though, I haven't had a chance to try any night flying & filming. Time to experiment!

ryanliu5 said:
Hi d86,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/concerns. What you are thinking is legit. It is very possible that an accident will occur somewhere somehow that makes the lawmaker to regulate the drone use. I personally don't think it is just this type of shot in particularly. A drone can crash into people even in an open space. However, this is similar to driving. There are drivers who will make mistakes either being not careful enough or things like mechanical failures to cause an accident. That is why there are traffic rules, and drivers are taking the full responsibilities for any accidents. Part of me thinking our fun drones will be limited to use by law eventually, but part of me hoping when that happens, hopefully the regulation is mature enough so that drone can be used safely and not taking too much fun away from us. Just my 2cents.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I wonder....if it's similar to driving, as you say ( and I agree for the most part that it is), certainly there are a few things that should be mandatory for their use? A license? and insurance?

I wonder if the AMA will step up and create some kind of certificate for drone flying. They already have the insurance. This could be similar to the states who are all moving to license boat operators, and many states let you just go on line and take a quick test. Some states have even let private organizations like the AMA administer the process. It doesn't ensure safer operations, but it does create a small barrier to entry in the activity and allows for revocation of the certificate for those unwilling to play nice.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. All too often, net forums get weird and nasty.

Gotta edit this morning's vids now.
d86

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl